Topsoil/Haywire Playlist for 4/25/4 on WXDU Durham NC

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2004
      Hi,

      Hey everyone, I kinda goofed on my Album of the Month feature this month. I counted wrong about the number of Sundays that I was going to be doing my show and ended up getting to the last week with nothing left from the album to play. So below you'll see the way I worked it out. Ah well, still not bad for college radio. At least the people know they have a human DJ this way.

      I'll be at Merlefest next Sunday, so you'll hear from me in two.

      Cheers.
      Steve Gardner
      www.topsoil.net
      www.wxdu.org
      www.clinkmagazine.com

      TOPSOIL
      =======
      *Bottle Rockets/Bud Nanney's Theme/Bottle Rockets/ESD
      [Theme song]

      *Jon Langford/Nashville Radio/All The Fame Of Lofty Deeds/Bloodshot
      *BR549/I'm All Right (For The Shape I'm In)/Tangled in the Pines/Dualtone
      *Star Room Boys/The 4:05/This World Just Won't Leave You Alone/Slewfoot
      *Dave Alvin/Romeo's Escape/Romeo's Escape/Epic
      [Playing at the Pour House in Raleigh on 6/22. Dave just signed
      to Yep Roc records and will have a new studio album coming out soon.]

      *Loretta Lynn/Women's Prison/Van Lear Rose/Interscope
      [This is the new album produced by Jack White, of the White Stripes. It's
      terrific. This song would be of interest to people who are sick of all the
      country songs where the women gets killed by the guy....this time the guy
      gets it. Go Loretta. Loretta wrote every song on this new record.]
      *Bobby Bare Jr/Mother Ucker/Ok, I'm Sorry/Bloodshot
      [Recorded live on KEXP, Seattle.]
      *Ted Hawkins/Sorry You're Sick/Watch Your Step/Rounder
      [For a friend of mine who is going under the knife on Wednesday. "What
      do you want from the liquor store? Something sour, something sweet?
      I'll buy you all that your belly can hold, so that you won't suffer no more."]
      *Bill Kirchen/Just Like Tom Thumb Blues/Tied To The Wheel/Hightone
      [A Dylan song, a-course.]

      *Fred Eaglesmith/Drinking Too Much/Lipstick Lies and Gasoline/Razor
      and Tie
      *Merle Haggard/Who'll Buy The Wine/Untamed Hawk/Bear Family
      [This song has a crazy lead in on the steel.]
      *Buck Owens/Above and Beyond/Collection/Rhino
      *Skeeter Davis/My Last Date With You/The Essential/RCA
      *Johnny Cash/The Night Hank Williams Came To Town/Life/Columbia
      Legacy

      *Guy Clark/Black Diamond Strings (Live)/Merlefest Live! The Best
      of 2003/Merlefest
      [Merlefest is this upcoming weekend!]
      *My Morning Jacket/Hopefully/Acoustic Citsuoca/ATO-RCA
      [Jim James solo, from a new acoustic live EP.]

      [Ok, I blew it. At the beginning of the month I miscounted the number of
      times I'd do my show this month and ended up finishing out the Album of
      the Month feature one week early. So, here I am, at the end of the month
      with nothing left to play. So, what I decided to do, was replay my
      favorite cut from the new Two Dollar Pistols album, and then follow it
      with some vintage unreleased music recorded live at WXDU on our weekly
      local's show, Live From The XDU Lounge (Sundays at 5pm). This show was
      from 1999. The first two songs are by the Two Dollar Pistols and the
      second two are by the Two Dollar Pistols with Tift Merritt. That's some
      pretty sweet lemonade, I must say.]

      TOPSOIL ALBUM OF THE MONTH
      Two Dollar Pistols
      "Hands Up"
      (Yep Roc)

      *Too Bad That You're Gone (From the album)
      *King of the Honky Tonks (Live on WXDU 1999)
      *I'd Come Back To Me (ditto)
      *Someone I Used To Know (ditto, with Tift Merritt)
      *Your Husband, My Wife (ditto, with Tift. A cover of a great song
      Bobby Bare made semi-famous.)

      [The Two Dollar Pistols are having their record release show on 5/21 at
      the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, and on 6/25 at the Pour House in Raleigh
      with the Bigger Lovers and Grand Champeen!]

      *Bobby Bare/Streets of Baltimore/The Essential/RCA
      *Honeychurch/Friendships and Love/Makes Me Feel Better/Siren
      [This band is worth checking into if you are into the Mojave 3
      side of twangy music.]
      *John Prine/Hello In There/Souvenirs/Oh Boy
      [Request. This set was really so, so I balanced it out with
      the next one, which is one of the most rockin' sets on
      Topsoil I've done. You can tell I'm getting anxious for
      Haywire.]

      *Drive By Truckers/Sink Hole/Decoration Day/New West
      *Uncle Tupelo/Postcard/Still Feel Gone/Rockville
      *Slobberbone/Placemat Blues/Everything You Thought Was
      Right Was Wrong Today/New West
      *V-Roys/IOU/Are We Through Yet?/Self
      [A Replacements song.]
      *Nine Pound Hammer/Runaway Train/The Mud, The Blood
      and the Beers/Wanghead

      HAYWIRE
      =======
      *Decemberists/Everything I Try To Do, Nothing Seems To Turn
      Out Right/Tracks and Fields/Kill Rock Stars
      [A cool previously unreleased song from this two disc
      compilation of Kill Rock Stars artists.]
      *Billy Bragg/St Swithin's Day/Back to Basics/Elektra
      [Death Cab For Cutie did this last week. I was in heaven. My
      favorite new band doing my favorite artist of all time.]
      *Modest Mouse/Blame it on the Tetons/Good News For People
      Who Love Bad News/Epic

      *The Sprites/Do It Yourself/Starling, Spiders, Tigers and Sprites/March
      [This is Jason Korzen's new band. Jason was the guitarist
      and singer in the excellent Barcelona. This new album is
      poppy and happy. A perfect album for the upcoming summer.]
      *Matt Pond PA/Closest (Look Out)/Four Songs/Altitude
      [This also is an excellent summer song.]
      *Of Montreal/Disconnect The Dots/Satanic Panic I The Attic/
      Polyvinyl
      *Seachange/News From Nowhere/Lay of the Land/Matador

      *Mission of Burma/The Setup/ONoffON/Matador
      [From their upcoming album which will be released May 4.]
      *Descendents/Kabuki Girl/Milo Goes to College/SST
      *Grand Champeen/One and Only/The One That Brought You/Glurp
      [Playing locally in June and at Twangfest in St Louis, too.]

      *Sondre Lerche/Track You Down/Two Way Monologue/Astralwerks
      *Sanford Arms/Rodeo/Twilight Era/Blue Disguise
      *Ride/Dreams Burn Down/Nowhere/Sire
      [A request or Ride...and they even let me pick the song. Nice!]

      *The Walkmen/The Rat/Bows and Arrows/Record Collection

      Cheers.
      Steve Gardner
      steve@...