Oz

  • Stevo
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 14, 2004
      I've just been trying to find out about antipodean psych/prog era
      stuff.
      I've just ordered the cds by Khavas Jute, Blackfeather and McPhee
      from Akarma and The Missing LInks compi from Half a Cow and have been
      wondering about several other bands.
      Does anybody know anything about

      Space Farm
      Human Instinct
      Bakery
      Buffalo
      Pirana
      Tamam Shud
      or Spectrum?
      and what else would people reccommend?

      I also love the 80s stuff by the Birthday Party, Moodists, Scientists
      and I ought to check out a few others. Grong GRong always sounded
      like they ought to be interesting. So did Ollie OLsen. Am I missing
      anything else fantabulous?
      Stevo
      Np Can Soundtracks Mother Sky
    • Linda Maxwell
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 14, 2004
        > I've just been trying to find out about antipodean psych/prog era
        > stuff.
        > I've just ordered the cds by Khavas Jute, Blackfeather and McPhee
        > from Akarma and The Missing LInks compi from Half a Cow and have been
        > wondering about several other bands.
        > Does anybody know anything about
        >
        > Space Farm
        > Human Instinct
        > Bakery
        > Buffalo
        > Pirana
        > Tamam Shud
        > or Spectrum?
        > and what else would people reccommend?
        >
        > I also love the 80s stuff by the Birthday Party, Moodists, Scientists
        > and I ought to check out a few others. Grong GRong always sounded
        > like they ought to be interesting. So did Ollie OLsen. Am I missing
        > anything else fantabulous?
        > Stevo
        > Np Can Soundtracks Mother Sky

        Taman Shud (yes!!!) - Tim Gaze (16 year old) and Dannie Davidson defected
        to join Khavas Jute.
        Madder Lake
        Chain (if you're partial to a little blues)
        Fraternity (a youngish Bon Scott was with Fraternity at least for a while)
        The Strangers/Four Strangers
        Ariel
        Tully
        The Aztecs
        Ayer's Rock
        Wild Cherries (Lobby Lloyd)

        The scene seemed to have a been a little incestuouos - almost all these
        groups...in fact I think all of them, had a least one artist in common. The
        same names come up time and again.

        "Whammo" is a reasonable site.

        Imo, the definitive album was
        Golden Miles: Australian Progressive Rock 1969-1974 (1994).
        Raven Records (they are gods!)

        Sunbury 1972 - 74 were THE festivals

        Ive heard the gritty reality of our (Oz) involvement in the Vietnam War had
        a bit to do with the emergence of this scene (psychedelic flower-power stuff
        to psychedelic rock).

        If Im talking complete rubbish, someone bazooka me!!
        : ))

        Linda M