Re: [fearnwhiskey] Re: Baseball

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 6, 2004
      --On Tuesday, April 6, 2004 12:27 AM -0400 Mock the DJ
      <mockthedj@...> wrote:

      > I can't believe Carl forgot the Joe Henry tune: Curt Flood (from "Fuse")

      My thoughts turn to Richard Pryor when I hear Joe Henry.

      Carl Z.
      seething over the Sox opener
    • David Atteberry
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 6, 2004
        A few songs with references to baseball come to mind:

        Beastie Boys' Sure Shot mentions Rod Carew as does Adam Sandler's Hanukkah Song, but that is reaching a bit.

        87 Yankees by the Vida Blue. This is by the Iowa City punk band that later became Ten Grand and should NOT be confused with the Trey Anastasio group.

        If you don't mind jazz, Pat Martino wrote a well known piece called Three Bass Hit. Seems like Sonny Rollins did a nice version of it but I could be wrong.

        George Lewis, John Zorn and Derek Bailey did a record called Yankees that has a few baseball inspired pieces. My favorite is The Legend of Enos Slaughter.

        Finally, there is a teenage punk band in Wichita called Dick Cheney's Dick. They sing a song called Wade Boggs Fucked My Mom. Pretty damn funny even though it's not radio friendly.

        David
        Premium!

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • flcsoda
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 7, 2004
          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, David Atteberry
          <bikejazzboy@y...> wrote:
          > A few songs with references to baseball come to mind:

          Hey there,

          After seeing Marah last night (who rocked, BTW) Rain Delay comes to
          mind. Also, arent there entire albums of baseball songs? (All of
          which contain Dying Cub Fan's Last Request).

          Later...
          CK
          getting the feeling the radio show is over already anyway...
        • ned norland
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 7, 2004
            not a baseball fan personally, but don't neglect the fantastic "baseball
            trilogy" ep by the s.f. seals...

            .ned
            www.noloveforned.com