Re: [fearnwhiskey] Re: Baseball

  • Mock the DJ
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 5, 2004
      I can't believe Carl forgot the Joe Henry tune: Curt Flood (from "Fuse")

      Also:
      Steve Wynn's "Kerosene Man" (Jason, we have it on vinyl)

      "Me and Mickey Mantle and Stan the Man
      Were talking about a kid we couldn't understand
      He batted .360 in Birmingham
      Got fooled by a curveball by the Kerosene Man"

      then, of course, there is always "Mrs. Robinson"

      Paul

      >From: Carl Zimring <cz28@...>
      >To: fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [fearnwhiskey] Re: Baseball
      >Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 14:27:06 -0400
      >

      >--On Monday, April 5, 2004 4:30 PM +0000 Alex Millar
      ><amillar@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Anything by the Mendoza Line might be apropo.
      >
      >Or Kranepool or Yo La Tengo.
      >
      > > Didnt Peter Gammons just put out a whole record...were any of those
      >songs
      > > baseball related?
      >
      >I'm not sure I want to know. As far as media folks go, Meat Loaf's
      >"Paradise By the Dashboard Lights" has Phil Rizzuto's play-by-play...
      >
      > > And Jack McDowell was in a decent roots rock band for a while...I dont
      > > know how easy that would be to find tho.
      > >
      > > Alex "broad used of the word 'decent,' being used" Millar
      >
      >Yeah...somewhere I have his first disc and it's pleasant enough but not
      >memorable.
      >
      >Try some Barbara Manning -- see if her "Dock Ellis" is in the library.
      >Either of the Bill Lee songs (Warren Zevon's on _Bad Luck Streak in Dancing
      >School_ or Karl Hendricks's off his latest disc) would be the first
      >baseball songs I'd pick.
      >
      >Be nice to the listeners and avoid Terry Cashman.
      >
      >Carl Z.

      Premium!
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 6, 2004
        --On Tuesday, April 6, 2004 12:27 AM -0400 Mock the DJ
        <mockthedj@...> wrote:

        > I can't believe Carl forgot the Joe Henry tune: Curt Flood (from "Fuse")

        My thoughts turn to Richard Pryor when I hear Joe Henry.

        Carl Z.
        seething over the Sox opener
      • David Atteberry
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 6, 2004
          A few songs with references to baseball come to mind:

          Beastie Boys' Sure Shot mentions Rod Carew as does Adam Sandler's Hanukkah Song, but that is reaching a bit.

          87 Yankees by the Vida Blue. This is by the Iowa City punk band that later became Ten Grand and should NOT be confused with the Trey Anastasio group.

          If you don't mind jazz, Pat Martino wrote a well known piece called Three Bass Hit. Seems like Sonny Rollins did a nice version of it but I could be wrong.

          George Lewis, John Zorn and Derek Bailey did a record called Yankees that has a few baseball inspired pieces. My favorite is The Legend of Enos Slaughter.

          Finally, there is a teenage punk band in Wichita called Dick Cheney's Dick. They sing a song called Wade Boggs Fucked My Mom. Pretty damn funny even though it's not radio friendly.

          David
          Premium!

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • flcsoda
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 7, 2004
            --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, David Atteberry
            <bikejazzboy@y...> wrote:
            > A few songs with references to baseball come to mind:

            Hey there,

            After seeing Marah last night (who rocked, BTW) Rain Delay comes to
            mind. Also, arent there entire albums of baseball songs? (All of
            which contain Dying Cub Fan's Last Request).

            Later...
            CK
            getting the feeling the radio show is over already anyway...
          • ned norland
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 7, 2004
              not a baseball fan personally, but don't neglect the fantastic "baseball
              trilogy" ep by the s.f. seals...

              .ned
              www.noloveforned.com