Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on April 01, 2004

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2004
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on April 01, 2004

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New

      The Isley Brothers - It's Your Thing - Raw Soul*
      [ Sure, this same song was played 45 minutes earlier during Cat
      Pick's "Emotional Rescue" show but I was taking a shower and didn't
      hear it. Still, you can't have too much Isley Brothers, I always
      say. This was on a compilation CD that accompanied Mojo magazine a
      couple of months back. ]

      Young-Holt Unlimited - Wack Wack - The Best Of Young-Holt Unlimited
      [ This Chicago duo split off from playing in a jazz trio with
      Ramsey Lewis after the success of "The In Crowd." They then added a
      piano player and played as the Young-Holt Trio. This was one of
      their two biggest hits; the other being "Soulful Strut." ]

      Prince - When You Were Mine - The Hits 1
      [ I happened to see Prince on a recent episode of the Ellen
      DeGeneres talk show and his performance was absolutely great. So,
      anyway, it reminded me to play some Prince on the radio, post haste.
      He just began a nationwide tour that began in Reno. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Candi Staton - That's How Strong My Love Is - Candi Staton*
      [ I keep playing selections off this because I think it will end
      up being the best soul reissue of the year. Nice to read that's it's
      getting really good reviews in everything from Rolling Stone to Mojo
      Magazine. ]

      Elvis Costello - High Fidelity - Get Happy
      [ 20 tracks of soul-influenced songs from from Elvis Costello -
      one of my favorite Elvis Costello recordings. ]

      Mel & Tim - Backfield In Motion - 20 Cheatin' Heartbreakers: If
      Loving You Is Wrong
      [ This song always gets phone calls from listeners. This is a
      Chicago based duo who were cousins. They recorded on Gene Chandler's
      ("Duke Of Earl") Bamboo record label and later moved to Stax ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Gloria Jones - Tainted Love - Beg, Scream, & Shout
      [ There is no better soul box set than this six-CD collection of
      60s soul. Bit of trivia: Gloria Jones sang & played keyboards in T.
      Rex beginning in 1973 and was also Marc Bolan's girlfriend. She was
      actually driving the car that went out of control, hit a tree, and
      killed Marc Bolan who was riding in the passenger seat. I didn't say
      it was happy trivia. ]

      Jimmy Reed - I Ain't Got You - Found Love
      [ Aerosmith, Eric Clapton, The Yardbirds, The Animals, & John
      Mayall all later recorded versions of this song. ]

      The Yardbirds - I'm A Man - Greatest Hits - Vol. 1 1964-66
      [ This Bo Diddley song is transformed into a rockin' stomp that
      never lets up. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Redwalls - You'll Never Know - Universal Blues*
      [ This was released on Undertow Records in 2003 and this band
      made up of people not old enough to drink yet has already been signed
      by Capitol, headlines the Metro in Chicago, and are embarking on a
      European festival tour this summer. If I would have heard this record
      prior to SXSW, there is no way I would have missed them perform in
      Austin. Fans of the Beatles, electric Dylan, the Stones, and Big Star
      ought to really like this band. ]

      Billy Bragg - Greetings To The New Brunette - Must I Paint You A
      Picture?: The Essential Billy Bragg
      [ Billy Bragg's ability to write complex songs about
      relationships at least equals his ability to write songs of a
      political nature. Songs like "Valentine's Day Is Over", "Must I
      Paint You A Picture,", etc. just nail it. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Nellie McKay - The Dog Song - Get Away From Me*
      [ Another one of those talented and under 20 years old artists
      popping up with more regularity, it seems. She plays piano, wrote all
      the songs, and sings on this two-CD (not so much because of length;
      more like the sequencing of two record albums) debut. She channels
      everything from torch songs to Randy Newman to hip hop. Not
      completely my thing but never boring. ]

      The Dresden Dolls - Coin-Operated Boy - The Dresden Dolls
      [ This is still one of my most favorite songs released in 2003.
      People I know seem to really like or really dislike them. All I can
      say is they are a completely captivating live act. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Delgados - All You Need Is Hate - Hate
      [ Like some of Randy Newman's songs, the sarcastic, pessimistic,
      and/or dark lyrics go completely against what is expected in the
      framework of a beautiful pop song. Or like "Girlfriend In A Coma" by
      the Smiths. ]

      The Nerves - When You Find Out - The Nerves EP
      [ This four-song EP was the only official release by this band
      featuring Paul Collins, Peter Case, and Jack Lee. ]

      The Hissyfits - Baby - Letters From Frank
      [ This last recording by the NYC band was from 2001. Their web
      site www.hissyfits.com indicates that they have an upcoming release
      called "Can't Keep Waiting" but details are real sketchy as to when
      the release date is. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Waterloo - All That You Know - In The Light Of The Day*
      [ Waterloo has an upcoming CD release party on May 14. Support
      local music! ]

      Son Volt - Tulsa County - Promo Sampler
      [ Jay Farrar's voice just sounds wonderful on this song. The
      Byrds recorded this song on "The Ballad Of Easy Rider" album. ]

      Dolly Varden - Balcony - The Dumbest Magnets
      [ This album is a low-key thing of elegant beauty. Hey, I never
      claimed to be a music writer. But these are songs that will stay with
      you - Great harmonies, intelligent lyrics, & beautiful melodies ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Beat Farmers - There She Goes Again - Tales Of The New West
      [ This is a new reissue from Rhino Handmade which
      includes "Tales Of The New West" along with selections from other
      selected Beat Farmers recordings. Even if all it had was their
      version of Springsteen's "Reason To Believe", it would be worth
      owning. ]

      The Thrills - Say It Ain't So - So Much For The City
      [ The Thrills are playing at Mojo's in Columbia on Tuesday
      (4/20). It makes no sense that a St. Louis club can't get the
      Thrills to play here, as well. Nadine is listed as the opener.
      Hmmm...in what configuration? ]

      Bettie Serveert - I'll Keep It with Mine - I Shot Andy Warhol OST
      [ Thanks to Roy Kasten for making me aware that this sublime
      Dylan cover existed. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Bruce Springsteen - Atlantic City - Nebraska+
      [ A person who pledged to Memphis To Manchester last week
      requested something from Nebraska but it was too late to get on the
      air. Hopefully, he got to hear this. ]

      Bob Dylan - The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll - Live 1964*
      [ From All Music Guide - This sums it up well - "The Halloween
      gig at Philharmonic Hall in New York was a special part of the tour
      for Another Side of Bob Dylan, arguably his greatest acoustic
      recording. What's more poignant, however, is how it previews the
      material on Bringing It All Back Home. While the songs on Another
      Side hinted at things to come, nothing could have prepared audiences
      for the dreamy surrealism of "Mr. Tambourine Man," or the nightmarish
      abstract poetry of "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)," and "Gates
      Of Eden" - all of which appear on Disc One. The remainder of the
      material comes from Dylan's preceding catalog; there are stirring
      protest and topical songs, folk songs, humorous narratives, love
      songs, great wisecracks, and talking blues ("Talking John Birch
      Paranoid Blues!"), most of them classics - "With God on Our
      Side," "Hard Rain's Gonna Fall," "Times They Are A-
      Changin'," "Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll," "Don't Think Twice,
      It's Alright," "Mama You've Been on My Mind," "All I Really Want to
      Do," "It Ain't Me Babe," etc. All of these songs and many others
      (there are 17 in all) are delivered with the confidence of the
      seasoned performer; a man who knows his audience and how to handle
      them. It's not cynical, not detached, just masterful. For those
      interested in the acoustic Bob Dylan, this concert is like the grail;
      his voice is in impeccable shape, and his delivery is revelatory. For
      those interested in the transition from acoustic to electric, this
      show is the seam, and for who are diehard fans, this is another
      welcome item in the official catalog. - Thom Jurek ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Rufus Wainwright - April Fools - Rufus Wainwright+
      [ This was a request from Spencer Marquart who hosts a very fine
      radio show called "Sound Of Music" in Columbia, MO on KOPN 89.5 FM on
      Thursdays from 10:00 PM until Midnight. Fitting song for April 1,
      I'd say. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Faron Young - Live Fast, Love Hard, Die Young - Absolutely The Best
      [ All this compilation does is makes you want to seek out more
      Faron Young releases. It does have 14 of his best songs and all of
      his #1 country songs. ]

      Tammy Wynette - Apartment #9 - Your Good Girl's Gonna Go Bad
      [ Epic released this classic debut album in 1967 and this Johnny
      Paycheck song was her first single. ]

      Charlie Walker - Who Will Buy The Wine - Greatest Honky Tonk Hits
      [ "Not long ago you held our babies bottle/
      But the one your holding now is a different kind/You just sit and
      wait to be somebody's baby/And it all depends on who will buy the wine
      Who ever sets them up and tips the waitress/Your kind of love just
      might as well be blind / You'll never know who's lips you'll soon be
      And it all depends on who will buy the wine"

      Gram Parsons & The Fallen Angels - Streets Of Baltimore - Live 1973+
      [ All kinds of requests today - this caller got their request
      for some Gram Parsons in just under the wire ]

      Richard Berry - Get Out Of The Car - Get Out Of The Car
      [ Richard Berry wrote other notable songs such as "Louie,
      Louie" "Have Love, Will Travel", and "Yama, Yama, Pretty Mama." ]

      - -
      [ Thanks so much to everybody who pledged last week during
      Memphis To Manchester or during any other KDHX shows. Also, thanks to
      all the phone volunteers. Finally, thanks to Larry Weir, Cat Pick, &
      Steve Pick for helping to pitch on "Memphis To Manchester" for the
      last two weeks. ]