Topsoil/Haywire Playlist for 3/28/4 on WXDU Durham NC

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2004
      Hi,

      Here is today's playlist. I won't be on the air next week, but I'm sure some fabulous sub will. Last week I was at SXSW so a few of the sets below were inspired by that.

      By the way, check out Clink. We've been doing a lot of updating recently (with a lot more to come in the next two weeks!) www.clinkmagazine.com

      See ya in two.

      Cheers.
      Steve Gardner
      www.topsoil.net
      www.wxdu.org
      www.clinkmagazine.com

      TOPSOIL
      =======
      *Bottle Rockets/Bud Nanney Theme/Bottle Rockets/ESD
      [Theme song]

      *Gerald Collier/Breakin' Down/Breakin' Down/Isota
      *Old 97s/Broadway/Too Far To Care/Elektra
      [I caught the Old 97s at a daytime party at SXSW last
      week. After their break I was wondering if they'd still
      have The Eye of the Tiger. But yes. Yes, they did.
      And they have a new record coming out on New West
      this year. Their new songs sounded great.]
      *Uncle Tupelo/Effigy/89-93: An Anthology/Columbia
      *Reckless Kelly/Desolation Angels/Under The Table
      and Above the Sun/Sugar Hill

      *Alejandro Escovedo/Pissed Off 2am/More Miles Than Money:
      Live 1994-1996/Bloodshot
      [I'm sure you've heard about Alejandros triumphant return to
      the stage on Sunday night at SXSW this year. I wish I could
      have been there. Keep your eye on No Depression for a
      show review from someone who was lucky enough
      to be there.]
      *Townes Van Zandt/Tower Song/Live at the Old Quarter/Tomato
      [Still one of the saddest songs ever.]
      *Graham Parker/Fairground/Your Country/Bloodshot
      [Graham was really great at SXSW this year, celebrating the
      release of this new album. And he was wearing a bolo tie.
      Bring back the bolo!]
      *Josh Lederman y Los Diablos/The Town's Old Fair/The Town's
      Old Fair/Nine Mile

      *Grey DeLisle/Sharecroppin' Man/The Graceful Ghost/Sugar Hill
      *The Folksmen/Start Me Up/A Might Wind Soundtrack/DMZ
      [Ohmygodthisisthefunniestthingever. From my favorite fake
      folk band.]
      *Blasters/So Long Baby Goodbye/Live: Going Home/Shout
      *Bottle Rockets/Wave That Flag/Bottle Rockets/ESD

      TOPSOIL ALBUM OF THE MONTH
      OX
      "Dust Bowl Revival"
      (www.oxmusic.ws)
      *North Country Girl
      *She Shot Me Down
      *Promised Land
      *Oh Eileen

      *Johnny Cash/Suppertime/Life/Columbia Legacy
      [From a new compilation from Columbia Legacy.]
      *Stanley Brothers/Driftin' Too Far From The Shore/An Evening
      Long Ago/DMZ
      [A new issue of a 1956 live radio show on WCYB, Bristol.]
      *Gillian Welch/Dear Someone/Time (The Revelator)/Acony
      *Gibson Brothers/Satan's Jeweled Crown/Long Way Back
      Home/Sugar Hill
      [A cover of the Louvin Bros song that the band included on
      their first album, and one they've played live for years.]

      *Clay Bartlett/Daniel's Blues/Fixin' To Break Down/Lu Belle
      *Drive By Truckers/The Deeper In/Decoration Day/New West
      *Bob Dylan/I'll Be Your Baby Tonight/John Wesley Harding/Columbia
      [By Request]
      *Kris Kristofferson/Me and Bobby McGee/The Essential Kris
      Kristofferson/Columbia Legacy
      *James McMurtry/Rachel's Song/Live in Aught-Three/Compadre
      [Wow. This album is so good and this song is top notch too.]
      *Slaid Cleaves/New Year's Day/Wishbones/Philo

      HAYWIRE
      =======
      *Bonnie "Prince" Billy/You Will Miss Me When I Burn/Sings
      Greatest Palace Music/Palace
      *Sleep Station/After the War/After the War/Bardic-Eyeball
      *Destroyer/Notorious Lightning/Your Blues/Merge
      *Leonard Cohen/Dance Me To The End of Love/Various
      Positions/Passport
      [Ok, I admit. I stole the thought of playing this song from an
      XDU DJ earlier this week when I heard them play it on
      their radio show. But the song really was on my mind because
      last week I saw Thalia Zedek, and although she didn't do it
      the night I saw her, she does a fabulous cover
      of this song.]
      *The Elected/Don't Get Your Hopes Up/Me First/Sub Pop
      [The Elected put on an incredible show last week in town
      with Azure Ray. I love both. This song has a demented
      circus feel that fit in well with the
      previous Leonard Cohen song I played.]

      *Azure Ray/November/November/Saddle Creek
      [*sigh*]
      *Iron and Wine/Fever Dream/Our Endless Numbered Days/Sub Pop
      [*sigh!*]
      *Camera Obscura/Books Written For Girls/Under Achievers
      Please Try Harder/Merge
      [*SIGH!*]

      *Forty Fives/Hanging By A Thread/Fight Dirty/Yep Roc
      [Playing today at 5pm(!) at Kings with the Boss Martians. Rock.]
      *The Ponys/Trouble Trouble/Laced With Romance/In the Red
      [ROCK]
      *Mando Diao/Paralyzed/Paralyzed EP/Mute
      [RAWK. Swedish garage rock]
      *Minus 5/Dr Evil: Doctor of Evil/In Rock/Yep Roc
      [RAWK!!]

      *Josh Rouse/Late Night Conversation/Dressed Up Like Nebraska/
      Slow River
      [What a beautiful song this is. Ahhh.]