RE: Pittsburgh in Esquire's top 10...

  • Mock the DJ
    Message 1 of 35 , Mar 10, 2004
      Actually, I hadn't heard this news. Great! <insert sarcasm> now the Mayor
      will think his plans for saving our (almost) bankrupt city are actually
      positive to the younger population. (Pgh has one of the oldest populations
      in the country, and its population has decreased every year since 1952)

      Word was announced yesterday that our beloved Rosebud will be reopening soon
      as "The World".

      Here's a local article on the Esquire news:

      http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/entertainment/s_183641.html

      I will say, it was very nice for the Mekons to kick off their current tour
      in Pgh last night with a (nearly?) sold out show. And I found out last
      night that The Fall has Pittsburgh on it's current tour itinerary for April.

      Carl, is your year up yet? Are you ready to come back?

      Paul

      >From: "Dave Purcell" <dap@...>
      >To: <fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: [fearnwhiskey] Pittsburgh in Esquire's top 10...
      >Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:28:52 -0500
      >
      >I suppose you Pittsburghians have heard about your scene landing in
      >Esquire Magazine's "ten cities that rock" list? (This despite the points
      >they deducted for the presence of the Mockster.) Cincinnati made the
      >list as well, and already the in-fighting is beginning (partly because
      >of two of the three bands Esquire chose to spotlight). Same happened
      >over a decade ago when MTV and Spin started speculating that Cinti would
      >be the next Seattle. The more things change...
      >
      >Anyway, I was surprised to see that about Pittsburgh only because of the
      >articles that have come thru here about venues closing, etc. Any
      >thoughts?
      >
      >Not that it matters. It's Esquire, after all.
      >
      >Here's an article on it in the local press, fwiw:
      >http://www.cincypost.com/2004/03/10/rocks031004.html
      >
      >dp

      Fast. Reliable. Get MSN 9 Dial-up - 3 months for the price of 1!
      (Limited-time Offer) http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/
    • Justin Hopper
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 15, 2004
        >> Any news on what's going to happen with Laga's space? Is that turning
        >> into a dance club or something else?
        >
        > Originally, I heard it was to become student housing. But, I've also
        > heard that The Upstage will remain open (which doesn't make too much
        > sense if there is housing in that building).

        >>That wouldn't be good for quiet hours. Unless they knocked it down and
        >>started over, that building would make for dreary student housing, though
        >>no worse than some of Pitt's options...

        I b'lieve the hope is apartments - I think when they say 'student housing'
        they're not talking official Pitt housing, but 'off-campus' slum-lord
        apartments - hence the club downstairs. Upstage is definitely staying open.

        But it also depends on some zoning issues: offices might be the final word,
        if they don't get a variance or something...

        j.

        Justin Hopper
        Music Editor
        Pittsburgh City Paper
        650 Smithfield St., Ste. 2200
        Pittsburgh, PA 15222
        www.pghcitypaper.com
        phone: 412-316-3342 x165
        fax: 412-316-3388
        jhopper@...

        Build a bonfire
        Build a bonfire
        Put Bellotti on the top
        Put Bill Archer in the middle
        And we'll burn the [sodding] lot

        --On Friday, March 12, 2004 8:58 AM -0500 Mock the DJ
        <mockthedj@...> wrote:

        >> Any news on what's going to happen with Laga's space? Is that turning
        >> into a dance club or something else?
        >
        > Originally, I heard it was to become student housing. But, I've also
        > heard that The Upstage will remain open (which doesn't make too much
        > sense if there is housing in that building).

        That wouldn't be good for quiet hours. Unless they knocked it down and
        started over, that building would make for dreary student housing, though
        no worse than some of Pitt's options...

        Carl Z.

        Yahoo! Groups Links