Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on March 04, 2004

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2004
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on March 04, 2004

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      Candi Staton - I'm Just A Prisoner (Of Your Good Lovin') - Candi
      Staton*
      [ I can't recommend a new release any higher than this one. This
      was released by a Holland label named "Honest Jon's" and the rights
      to these recordings are being challenged by Rick Hall of Fame , so
      get it while you can. The best of Candi Staton's Fame recordings all
      on one disc with great sound. Soul at it's very best...buy!!! Hard to
      find locally but it is readily available at www.dustygroove.com ]

      Aztec Camera - Jump - Aztec Camera
      [ This slowed-down with a groove version of the Van Halen song
      was recorded live in London in 1984 by the Scottish band. ]

      Ike & Tina Turner - He's The One - Ike & Tina Turner: The Kent Years
      [ Twenty-six of the duo's 1964-1967 recordings (five previously
      unissued) for the Kent and Modern labels are on this compilation. Of
      course, after this there are about ten different greatest hits
      compilations and then various compilations from other labels (such as
      Blue Thumb) to wade through to figure out what you need to own. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Johnny Otis Show - The Watts Breakaway - Land Of 1,000 Dances:
      Special Soul & Funk Edition*
      [ This is a new compilation put out by Kent Records which
      highlights mostly dances that had their origins in the black
      neighborhoods. Most of these tracks have never been on CD before.
      This track features a guitar solo by Shuggie Otis (son of Johnny
      Otis) and this was the last 45 to be released on Okeh Records. ]

      Cee-Lo Green - Soul Machine - Cee-Lo Green...Is The Soul Machine*
      [ I just picked this up the night before the show and only had
      time to preview the first track (always necessary from an FCC
      standpoint with respect to releases with Rap elements) but it's a
      good one. Generated a couple of phone calls from listeners which is
      always a good sign. ]

      Sly & The Family Stone - Sing A Simple Song - The Essential Sly &
      The Family Stone
      [ This excellent two-CD anthology was remastered and released in
      2003. Highly recommended if you don't already own "Greatest Hits"
      or "Anthology." ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Bobby Womack - Lookin' For A Love - Bobby Womack: Greatest Hits
      [ Another artist with umpteen greatest hits compilations out
      there. I like the "Bobby Womack: The Ultimate Collection" 2-CD set on
      Charly Records better but it didn't have this song which I really
      wanted to play. ]

      The Bangles - Hazy Shade Of Winter - Greatest Hits
      [ This cool version of Simon & Garfunkel's "Hazy Shade of
      Winter" was recorded for the soundtrack for the less than
      impressive "Less Than Zero" movie. ]

      Billy Stewart - Summertime - Hits & Rarities
      [ Vocal tour de force by Billy Stewart on this soul version of
      the Gershwin song. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Jam - The Eton Rifles - Setting Sons
      [ My favorite song on my favorite Jam album. There is not one
      bad or even weak song on this release. ]

      Billy Bragg - Sexuality - Must I Paint You A Picture?: The
      Essential Billy Bragg
      [ This song was written by Billy Bragg & Johnny Marr and, like a
      lot of Billy Bragg songs, combines a great pop song and intelligent
      lyrics. ]

      Ian Dury - Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll - Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll:
      The Best Of Ian Dury
      [ See Billy Bragg comments below. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Beatles - She Said She Said - Revolver
      [ This set is a mini-tribute to The Beatles since I was giving
      away tickets to the "1964-The Tribute" show at The Pageant. ]

      Rufus Wainwright - Across The Universe - Poses
      [ One of my favorite Beatles covers, ever. When Rufus Wainwright
      does a cover, it's always a great cover. For example, "One Man
      Guy", "Hallelujah", and "Origin of Love." ]

      Marvin Gaye - Yesterday - Soul Tribute To The Beatles
      [ I had never heard this version before this release arrived in
      the mail. Well, if he can make the "Star Spangled Banner" sound
      soulful, you know he can make "Yesterday" sound soulful. As Kip Loui
      pointed out, a beautiful arrangement, as well. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Forty-Fives - My Kind Of Girl - Fight Dirty
      [ Appearing at the Way Out Club on Saturday, March 6. A band
      that must be seen & heard live to fully appreciate. A great live
      band, don't miss it. ]

      The Hissyfits - Baby - Letters From Frank
      [ Tuneful indie pop from this NYC all-female band who are way
      overdue for releasing a new album. ]

      Aimee Mann - Nothing Is Good Enough - Bachelor #2
      [ See comments about Billy Bragg & Ian Dury below. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Mindy Smith - Hard To Know - One Moment More*
      [ Really impressive debut album from Mindy Smith who had a
      record company bidding war for this release. She chose Vanguard
      because they promised complete creative control. She'll be around for
      a long time. ]

      Bob Dylan - Talking World War III Blues - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
      [ This was a request I didn't see until the conclusion of last
      week's two-hour show made up of nothing but Bob Dylan songs. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Gene Clark - Life's Greatest Fool - No Other
      [ One of the best reissues of last year with all kinds of
      additional tracks. ]

      Jack Ingram - A Little Bit - Electric: Extra Volts
      [ Appearing tonight (Thursday March 4) at Off Broadway - Show
      begins at 9:00 PM ]

      The Band - I Shall Be Released - Music From Big Pink
      [ Another song I wanted to play last week but ran out of time
      for. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Walkabouts - Maggie's Farm - Death Valley Days: Lost Songs &
      Rarities
      [ Roy Kasten brought this in for last week's show but I had
      already selected Solomon Burke's version of "Maggie's Farm." It was
      too good not to play on this week's show. ]

      Patty Griffin - Cold As It Gets - Impossible Dream*
      [ This is being released by ATO on April 20th. Wonderful &
      soulful vocals and people who liked "1,000 Kisses" will like this, at
      least, as much as that 2002 release. ]

      Tom Waits - In The Neighborhood - Swordfishtrombones
      [ Everybody sing - "Well the eggs chase the bacon round the
      fryin' pan / and the whinin' dog pidgeons by the steeple bell rope /
      and the dogs tipped the garbage pails over last night / and there's
      always construction work
      bothering you / In the neighborhood
      In the neighborhood / In the neighborhood" -
      I vaguely remember some MTV video for this song that probably only
      was played once where Tom Waits was a band leader marching around a
      bunch of raggamuffin misfits through the streets. Or maybe I dreamt
      it. It's all a blur. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Neko Case - Running Out Of Fools - Blacklisted
      [ Her voice is a thing of beauty and she wrote most of the songs
      on this 2002 release. ]

      The Blasters - Help You Dream - The Blasters Collection
      [ This collection is out of print now but that doesn't matter
      since the even better 2-CD "Testament" set which has all the Blasters
      Slash recordings is now out there. Still, this release is sequenced
      great and the song selections are just about perfect. ]

      T-Bone Burnett - Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend - Trap Door
      [ If Marilyn Monroe can do this song, why can't T-Bone Burnett?
      From the Trap Door EP which has never been released on CD. ]

      Lefty Frizzell - Shine, Shave, Shower - The Best Of Lefty Frizzell
      [ You just can't go wrong with this 18-track compilation by
      Rhino. ]

      - -
      [ And so concludes another episode of Memphis To Manchester.
      Thanks for listening and/or reading the play list ]
    • Barry Mazor
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2004
        And yet you didn't use this show to get in Mae West's "If You Gotta Go, Go
        Now," and Marlene Dietrich' "Blown' in the Wind?"

        -Barry
      • jwmoosefan2001
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 8, 2004
          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Mazor" <brmaz@c...> wrote:
          > And yet you didn't use this show to get in Mae West's "If You Gotta
          Go, Go
          > Now," and Marlene Dietrich' "Blown' in the Wind?"
          >

          > -Barry

          As a rule, I usually try to inflict as little pain as possible on the
          listening audience.

          -John
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 9, 2004
            Speaking -- sorta -- of covers, the Raven reissue of Bill Withers's first
            two albums includes a fine live track of Withers and Bobby Womack doing
            Womack's "It's All Over Now". But my favorite covers to listen to this
            week are Nina Simone's reggae-fied version of Randy Newman's "Baltimore"
            and her poppy take on Hall & Oates's "Rich Girl".

            Carl Z.

            --On Monday, March 8, 2004 11:06 PM +0000 jwmoosefan2001 <johnw@...>