Ring of Fire

  • Mock the DJ
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2004
      Grabbed this from the Glitterhouse e-newsletter:

      $$$ It burns, burns, burns: No joke - a Florida TV production company plans
      to pitch Preparation H and other hemorrhoid-relief products with a
      commercial that features the country classic Ring of Fire. The idea is
      hilarious to the song's co-writer, Merle Kilgore, who penned the Johnny
      Cash hit with Cash's late wife, June Carter Cash.
      Kilgore, an ex-country artist and 20-year veteran of the road, used to use
      a hemorrhoid joke onstage whenever he'd introduce Ring of Fire. ''I'd say,
      'Ladies and gentlemen, I want to give credit where credit is due. I
      dedicate this song to the makers of Preparation H,' '' Kilgore said. ''And
      they would just fall out. So when the song publisher called and told me
      about it, I said, 'I can't believe it!' ''
      TV producer Sula Miller of Big Grin Productions in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.,
      is quite serious about the idea. It came to her when she was, uh,
      struggling with that certain medical condition and heard Ring of Fire on
      the radio. Apparently that ''burns, burns, burns'' theme struck an
      oh-so-familiar note with her.
      The TV production company and the song publisher were trying to iron out a
      deal. (from http://www.tennessean.com) Following BBC-news, the Carter-/Cash
      family, Rosanne Cash in particular, is not amused. The family has blocked
      the attempt and Rosanne Cash "would never allow the song to be demeaned
      like that". Kilgore said he had not intended to upset the family. But
      Rosanne Cash told the Nashville-based Tennessean newspaper he had not
      consulted the family. She said: "The song is about the transformative power
      of love and that's what it has always meant to me and that's what it will
      always mean to the Cash children." (http://news.bbc.co.uk)

      Get business advice and resources to improve your work life, from bCentral.
      http://special.msn.com/bcentral/loudclear.armx