Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on February 26, 2004

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2004
      Better late than never....that's what I get for having to get on a
      plane and fly to California right after the show.

      Bob Dylan only gave one radio station a plug at last night's sold out
      show at The Pageant. That's right....KDHX.

      Now, on to the play list!

      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on February 26, 2004

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      Solomon Burke - Maggie's Farm - The Beat Goes On....
      [ This not often heard soul cover of the Bob Dylan song was
      recorded in 1965 and appears on this compilation of some of
      Atlantic's dance songs of the 50s, 60s, & 70s ]

      Eddie & Ernie - Lay Lady Lay - Lost Friends
      [ This Phoenix soul duo recorded this in 1972 and it was
      unreleased until Kent Records put out an anthology of Eddie & Ernie's
      singles and unreleased songs recorded on five different record
      labels. This soul version of "Lay Lady Lay" actually works really
      well. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Them - It's All Over Now, Baby Blue - Them Again
      [ Van Morrison does the best cover version of this song (and one
      of the best Dylan covers ever) that I've heard. This was the second,
      and pretty much the last, release put out by the band in 1966. ]

      The Box Tops - I Shall Be Released - The Ultimate Box Tops
      [ This concludes the blue-eyed soul portion of the show. I had
      never heard this cover before & was glad Roy Kasten brought it in. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Shirley Caesar - Gotta Serve Somebody - Gotta Serve Somebody: The
      Gospel Songs Of Bob Dylan
      [ This top-notch compilation of gospel covers of Bob Dylan
      gospel songs was released last year. Shirley Caesar does a wonderful
      version of this song which includes an intro before going into the
      song. Bit of trivia: I was telling Roy that I had heard a radio bit
      on Fred Gumaer's "Mid-Day Jamboree" show (on noon to 2:00 PM every
      Saturday & highly recommended) some time back where the dialogue is
      almost identical to the dialogue between Bob Dylan & Mavis Staples on
      the last track of this album. However, I couldn't remember who were
      the artists that Fred played. Well, lo & behold (unintentional Dylan
      reference), Fred happened to call in during this show and we asked
      him. The dialogue was between Jimmie Rodgers and the Carter Family. I
      don't know if Dylan was paying homage to them or if the bit (and
      dialogue) originated somewhere else. ]

      The Staple Singers - Masters Of War - Great Day
      [ Pop Staples does a great version of this song on this
      compilation of gospel songs recorded by the Staple Singers for
      Riverside between 1960 and 1963. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Bob Dylan - Tombstone Blues - Highway 61 Revisited
      [ Since almost 30 minutes of the two-hour tribute to Bob Dylan
      had passed without a Bob Dylan performance, it was about time to get
      going with some songs performed by the man himself. One of the best
      rock albums ever with songs that would sound just as fresh & original
      if they were released today. ]

      Bettie Serveert - I'll Keep It With Mine - I Shot Andy Warhol OST
      [ And here I thought I owned everything by Bettie Serveert.
      Thanks to Roy for bringing in this version of the Dylan song that
      rocks mightily. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      J.P. Robinson - George Jackson - Sanctified Soul
      [ This slower soul version of the Dylan song is found on one of
      the best soul compilations I've ever heard. This was recorded in 1972
      and the compilation was put out by Kent Records in 2000. This is made
      up of slower soul songs recorded on Atlantic in the 60s & 70s and
      includes artists such as Don Covay, James Carr, Otis Clay, & Arthur
      Conley. ]

      Bob Marley - Like A Rolling Stone - The Wailing Wailers At Studio
      One, Vol. 2
      [ Roy brought in this short song titled "Rolling Stone" on the
      recording that incorporates some of "Like A Rolling Stone." I did not
      know that Bob Marley ever sang any Bob Dylan songs (or, at least,
      snippets of Bob Dylan songs). ]

      Bob Dylan - Born In Time - Time Out Of Mind: Australian Import
      Bonus Live CD
      [ This track was included on a bonus CD of live songs which
      accompanied the Australian import version of "Time Out Of Mind." ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Yo La Tengo - I Threw It All AWay - President Yo La Tengo
      [ Yo La Tengo does a faithful to the original and affecting
      version of the Dylan song on this 1989 recording. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Byrds - Chimes Of Freedom - The Byrds Play Dylan
      [ Well, if you want almost all the Byrds versions of Dylan songs
      (including some live versions and outtakes, as well), this 2002
      release is the one to own. ]

      Glen Campbell - Walkin' Down The Line - The Astounding 12-String
      Guitar Of Glen Campbell
      [ This unreleased (as of then) Bob Dylan song is Glen Campbell's
      only song on this 1964 release with vocals. The rest of the album is
      made up primarily of instrumental versions of folk songs. ]

      Lucinda Williams - Positively 4th Street - In Their Own Words, Vol.
      1
      [ While this version falls short of Bob Dylan's original, whose
      version wouldn't? Still interesting to hear Lucinda's version,
      though. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Buck Owens & His Buckaroos - Love Minus Zero-No Limit - Bridge Over
      Troubled Water
      [ Another one from Roy that I never knew existed. Similar to the
      earlier Glen Campbell release in that it's primarily covers (though
      not instrumentals) of folk songs. ]

      Jason & The Scorchers - Absolutely Sweet Marie - Fervor+
      [ This was a request and I think it's one of the three or four
      best Bob Dylan covers, ever. ]

      Bob Dylan - Subterranean Homesick Blues - Bringing It All Back Home
      [ One of his earliest recordings with an electric band and
      completely unlike anything people had heard before. That song has
      more ideas and images (from a lyrical standpoint) in just over two
      minutes than most bands have in a career. Same with "It's Alright,
      Ma" though that's much longer than 2:21. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Flatt & Struggs - Down In The Flood - The Essential Flatt & Struggs
      [ This Bob Dylan cover was recorded in 1967 and released long
      before Bob Dylan included it on Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits, Vol. 2 in
      1971. This double CD set includes some of the best recordings made
      for Columbia between 1950-1969. ]

      Bob Dylan - Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You - Nashville
      Skyline
      [ Included only because it's one of my favorite Bob Dylan
      vocals. ]

      Fairport Convention - Si Tu Dois Partir - Unhalfbricking
      [ Once again, Roy pulls out a gem for the show. "If You Gotta
      Go, Go Now" sung in French by Sandy Denny. Sublime. ]

      Sue Foley - If You Gotta Go, Go Now - Big City Blues
      [ Great vocals on this one by Sue Foley and an interesting
      contrast with the previous Fairport Convention version. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Son Volt - Going, Going, Gone - Switchback EP
      [ This was a five-song promotional EP by Son Volt that includes
      this fine version of the "Planet Waves" song plus a must-have version
      of "Tulsa County" for anybody who loves the voice of Jay Farrar. ]

      Travis - You're A Big Girl Now - B side to
      [ They pretty much nail this version which appears as the second
      of three songs on the "Side" single. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Arlo Guthrie - When The Ship Comes In - Hobo's Lullaby
      [ Another contribution from Roy. This is just a great version
      and was recorded by Arlo Guthrie in 1972. Dylan originally released
      this on the "Times They Are A-Changin'" in 1964. ]

      Bob Dylan - Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues (Live) - B side to
      [ This was the first commercial release of a live recording by
      Dylan and the only release of material from the 1966 British tour
      until the 1998 release of "The Bootleg Series, Vol. 4: Live 1966." We
      played the B-side of the "I Want You" 45 just to give the show that
      feeling of 1966 in glorious vinyl. ]

      Bob Dylan - All Along The Watchtower - John Wesley Harding
      [ The cover version of this song by Jimi Hendrix was so good
      that it changed the way Dylan has presented the song ever since.
      Still, I love this acoustic version and you don't hardly ever get to
      hear it on the radio. ]

      - -
      [ Thanks to Roy Kasten for coming in and helping to make this
      special Bob Dylan edition of "Memphis To Manchester" a success.
      Thanks for listening and / or reading the play list. ]