Re: Re: [fearnwhiskey] AMC

  • Chris Hill
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 25, 2004
      > Are they even going to get another steel player to
      > fill in for Bruce?

      From http://www.american-music-club.com/ - doesn't sound like it.

      Original AMC members; Mark Eitzel (vocals, guitar), Dan Pearson (bass), Tim Mooney (drums), Vudi (guitar), and new member, Marc Capelle (piano/trumpet) have confirmed a major-city U.S. tour in March, to kick off in San Francisco at the Great American Music Hall on February 29th.
    • RICHARD BRAZIER
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 25, 2004
        Having listened to a few of the recent reformed AMC shows there are
        definately elements that could really do with Bruces pedal steel,I've never
        been a big fan of Marc Capelles contributions to Marks music,in particular
        the piano/brass on 60 Watt silver lining,could have been a much better album
        if it had been more stripped down.
        Though my favorite period of AMC of seeing live were the shows during
        summer/fall of 91 and the European shows in early 92,they were also
        excellent back in 89 before Bruce joined the band.
        A lot of the new songs are sounding pretty great and probably wouldn't miss
        Bruce and they seem to have been avoiding playing old songs that Bruce
        really contributed to,though Royal Cafe & Gary's song have been played
        albeit with some rather rollicking piano.
        Interested to read that interview once it's been trancribed,seems a rather
        weird reason to exclude Bruce since he has worked with Mark a lot since AMC
        split.
        Gonna be interesting to see what they come out with on the upcoming tour
        Richard

        The American Music Club/Mark Eitzel archive
        http://www.geocities.com/rsjbraz/AmericanMusicClubArchive.html

        http://www.geocities.com/richbraz/musictrading.html

        http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 25, 2004
          --On Wednesday, February 25, 2004 9:13 AM -0500 Steve Gardner
          <steve@...> wrote:

          > Hold it just one second. Are you trying to tell me that I bought airplane
          > tickets to fly to the other side of the US to see the AMC without a pedal
          > steel player? Are you fucking kidding me? The AMC without a pedal steel
          > player is not the AMC. Are they even going to get another steel player to
          > fill in for Bruce?
          >
          > I can't believe it. I want my money back. Fuckers.

          But you'll still see me, Steve!

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 25, 2004
            Do they do any _Restless Stranger_ songs? The lineup is similar. I will
            miss Bruce's playing, but any time Mark Eitzel plays with Pearson and Vudi,
            I will be happy to be in the crowd. (And I repeat, for Kaphanophiles,
            those Victor Krummenacher CDs are well worth getting.)

            I've seen Capelle three times -- on the _60 Watt_ tour, he made the album
            arrangements by Bruce (piano) and Mark Isham (trumpet) sound, uh, freer.
            It worked well, but I could see where his playing might sound busy with
            another guitarist. Guess I'll find out in about a month...

            Carl Z.

            --On Wednesday, February 25, 2004 4:00 PM +0000 RICHARD BRAZIER
            <richard_brazier@...> wrote:

            > Having listened to a few of the recent reformed AMC shows there are
            > definately elements that could really do with Bruces pedal steel,I've
            > never been a big fan of Marc Capelles contributions to Marks music,in
            > particular the piano/brass on 60 Watt silver lining,could have been a
            > much better album if it had been more stripped down.
            > Though my favorite period of AMC of seeing live were the shows during
            > summer/fall of 91 and the European shows in early 92,they were also
            > excellent back in 89 before Bruce joined the band.
            > A lot of the new songs are sounding pretty great and probably wouldn't
            > miss Bruce and they seem to have been avoiding playing old songs that
            > Bruce really contributed to,though Royal Cafe & Gary's song have been
            > played albeit with some rather rollicking piano.
            > Interested to read that interview once it's been trancribed,seems a
            > rather weird reason to exclude Bruce since he has worked with Mark a lot
            > since AMC split.
            > Gonna be interesting to see what they come out with on the upcoming tour
            > Richard
            >
            > The American Music Club/Mark Eitzel archive
            > http://www.geocities.com/rsjbraz/AmericanMusicClubArchive.html
            >
            > http://www.geocities.com/richbraz/musictrading.html
            >

            >> From: Chris Hill <chillout@...>
            >> To: <fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com>
            >> Subject: Re: Re: [fearnwhiskey] AMC
            >> Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 3:52:56 -1100
            >>
            >> > Are they even going to get another steel player to
            >> > fill in for Bruce?
            >>
            >> From http://www.american-music-club.com/ - doesn't sound like it.
            >>
            >> Original AMC members; Mark Eitzel (vocals, guitar), Dan Pearson (bass),
            >> Tim Mooney (drums), Vudi (guitar), and new member, Marc Capelle
            >> (piano/trumpet) have confirmed a major-city U.S. tour in March, to kick
            >> off in San Francisco at the Great American Music Hall on February 29th.
            >>

            >> Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Steve Gardner
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 25, 2004
              >But you'll still see me, Steve!

              That's true Carl. And of course, the real reason I am going is to see
              you...and other folks in Seattle. And I'm sure it'll be superfun and I'll
              love every minute of it.

              But I do have to say I am really disappointed in this news, because when I
              used to see the AMC my favorite part of the show was when the band was loud
              and that steel guitar was shaking the Warfield Theater on Market Street in
              San Francisco, more than it had been shook since 1906. In fact, I've never
              even liked Mark Eitzel's solo material and a big part of that is because of
              the non-shaking rafters.

              But like I said, I'm sure I'll still have a total blast. I just need about
              24 hours to be cranky about this. <g>

              steve
            • RICHARD BRAZIER
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 25, 2004
                They played Hold onto your love at the reunion show so you never know,set
                lists for all recent shows are on the site.

                http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 26, 2004
                  --On Wednesday, February 25, 2004 2:21 PM -0500 Steve Gardner
                  <steve@...> wrote:

                  > But like I said, I'm sure I'll still have a total blast. I just need about
                  > 24 hours to be cranky about this. <g>

                  That sounds like me the day after baseball season ends. Every year. Worst
                  comes to worst, we'll ply you with gin & tonics to make it all right.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 26, 2004
                    --On Wednesday, February 25, 2004 11:20 PM +0000 RICHARD BRAZIER
                    <richard_brazier@...> wrote:

                    > They played Hold onto your love at the reunion show so you never know,set
                    > lists for all recent shows are on the site.
                    >
                    > The American Music Club/Mark Eitzel archive
                    > http://www.geocities.com/rsjbraz/AmericanMusicClubArchive.html
                    >
                    > http://www.geocities.com/richbraz/musictrading.html

                    Teach me to joke -- I'd love it if they played "Room Above the Club."

                    Carl Z.
                  • Chris Hill
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 7, 2004
                      It's been confirmed on the Eitzel list that the AMC album will be coming out on Merge. No other deets available yet. Yahoo!

                      Chris
                      np: Daniel Wylie (ex-Cosmic Rough Riders singer) - summer pop, very fine.
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 7, 2004
                        --On Friday, May 7, 2004 10:13 AM -1100 Chris Hill <chillout@...> wrote:

                        > It's been confirmed on the Eitzel list that the AMC album will be coming
                        > out on Merge. No other deets available yet. Yahoo!

                        Heh, perfect. Now AMC and Karl Hendricks are labelmates.

                        Now that there's a label, I pine for a release date.

                        Carl Z.
                      • Steve Gardner
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 8, 2004
                          So, I've been listening to the upcoming AMC disc all day today. Whew! I absolutely love it. I haven't been a fan of any of Eitzel's solo stuff, so I was worried this reunion album wouldn't be so hot. My spirits lifted when I saw them in Seattle, but I was still a little wary of the album. But now I've heard it (a few times) and I'm blown away. In fact, it might even be one of my favorite AMC discs ever. And I say that even being a big lover of the pedal steel sound that is missing on this one. Good stuff.

                          Oh, and Merge records are just as amazing.

                          steve