Malachi Favors RIP

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2004
      Another of my favorite bassists passes on.

      Carl Z.

      ***

      We learned over the past weekend of the passing of Malachi Favors. As most
      of you know, Malachi was the bassist for seminal band The Art Ensemble of
      Chicago, for which he anchored the rhythm section for over 35 years. A
      profoundly modest man, Malachi rarely drew attention to himself. Despite
      this, he was nontheless among the most influential bassists in helping to
      establish that instrument's role in "avant-garde" jazz.

      We have had the pleasure of working with Malachi over the past few years,
      first with Wadada Leo Smith's Golden Quartet on "The Year of the Elephant,"
      and more recently, with The Art Ensemble of Chicago on "The Meeting" and
      their upcoming release "Sirius Calling." Sirius Calling was named by
      Malachi, who apparently knew that he was dying for some time - and Sirius
      (the brightest star in the heavens) was calling to him from
      beyond. We at Pi are honored to have worked with Malachi. His legacy and
      influence will continue to resonate on.

      Seth Rosner and Yulun Wang
      Pi Recordings