Matador @ SXSW/Mission of Burma news

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2004
      February 2, 2004

      South By Southwest:
      Ahem. The following is Matador's bill for the event we've yet to come up
      with a suitable title or slogan for.

      Mission Of Burma
      Pretty Girls Make Graves
      Preston School Of Industry
      Seachange

      This monumental bill will be take the stage on Wednesday night, March 18 at
      La Zona Rosa, 612 W. 4th St., Austin, TX.

      Mission Of Burma - ONoffOn:
      Sorry if we were cagey about the details last time. On May 4, we'll be
      releasing the first new studio recordings in 22 years from Mission Of
      Burma, the Boston avant-rockers whose early works for the Ace Of Hearts
      label helped stake their claim as one of the American Underground's most
      influential and important bands.

      Recorded this past autumn with Bob Weston and original producer Rick Harte,
      'ONoffOn' is a work of staggering complexity showcasing a group just as
      ahead of their time in 2004 as they were in 1982. The trio of Roger Miller
      (guitar, vocals), Clint Conley (bass, vocals) and Peter Prescott (drums,
      vocals) (augmented by Bob Weston on tape loops) have completed an album
      brimming with all the raw power of their debut, yet revealing tones,
      textures and lyrical themes unimaginable the first time around. For our
      money, this isn't just a hot new release, it's a goddamn cultural event.

      The 16 track CD is divided into 2 sets, much like the band's recent
      performances, with a brief silent intermission (well, briefer than the
      intermission at the gigs). The vinyl version of 'ONOffON' will include 1
      bonus track, a cover of The Dils' 'Class War'.

      Said double vinyl version will be mastered in true all-analog from the
      2-inch master tape at Sterling Sound - guaranteed no digital stages - and
      will be pressed in 180-gram vinyl at RTI in California. The CD version will
      be released in both CD and hybrid SACD-CD format - Matador's first Super
      Audio Compact Disc.

      Mission Of Burma will be playing their first ever gig in the great state of
      Texas when they headline Matador's evening at South By Southwest in Austin,
      TX, Wednesday March 18, alongside Pretty Girls Make Graves, Preston School
      Of Industry and Seachange.

      Burma will also be hitting the UK in early April, as they play Stephen
      Malkmus' night at All Tomorrow's Parties in Camber Sands, Rye on April 2. A
      London show is planned for April 3, with details to follow.