RE: Terry Allen

  • Perfect Sound Forever
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004
      > Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:21:52 -0500
      > From: "Justin Hopper" <jhopper@...>
      >
      >Oooops! My bad - didn't realize it was a reissue; not one I had before.
      >Just got overly psyched when I saw the disc! ;)

      Good that this is out again but I'm kind of bummed to hear that there's no
      new album. I'd seen Terry do a show at SXSW a few years ago (with David
      Byrne joining him for an encore). He's a lot of fun live and as such, it's
      a shame that he doesn't tour more. I suspect that this is probably because
      he likes to dive into big multi-media projects (like YOUTH IN ASIA) instead
      of solely concentrating on a career as a recording artist.

      Bloodlines and Salivation are great records but my sentimental fave is
      Lubbock (On Everything), probably because that was the first TA record I owned.

      Great quote from him about using anti-social folks as subject matter for
      his songs: "I don't believe that there isn't anybody that isn't kind of an
      outcast. We wear our masks and our costumes to pretend that we're certain
      things but I think we're all pretty scramble-headed when it comes right
      down to it. All of us are pretty desperate in certain ways."

      Best,
      Jason

      Perfect Sound Forever
      online music magazine with warped perspectives since 1993
      http://www.perfectsoundforever.com