Clip: Tortoise Get Around With April Album Release, Tour

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2004
      This story is also of interest to Kelly Hogan fans. Among Pitchfork's
      other news stories today is a piece on American Music Club's reunion.

      ***

      <http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/04-02/03.shtml#story2>

      Tortoise Get Around With April Album Release, Tour
      Hare LP off to great start, then just kind of dropped off the map without
      releasing shit

      [Updated Tuesday, February 3rd, 2004 04:30:00 Pitchfork Central Time]

      Cory D. Byrom reports:
      Chicago-based indie heroes Thrill Jockey will be releasing It's All Around
      You, the fifth album by post-rock innovators Tortoise, in April. Tortoise
      is a band whose collective Pitchfork reviews give them a mean average of
      8.1 (and that includes the "has-its-moments-but-isn't-strong" 6.2 given to
      their collaboration with The Ex), so it goes without saying that our
      collective mouth is watering. We're not alone either, as David Bowie made a
      special request to meet with the band during his stop-off in Chicago on his
      recent tour. The Thin White Duke (and that's Mr. Bowie, not some sort of
      gross sexual euphemism) is reportedly a huge fan.

      It's All Around You will be the follow up to 2001's Standards. The
      ten-track affair will feature a whole mish-mash of sounds and styles, from
      tracks laden with studio effects and noodling, to tracks that sound like
      they were just thrown down in no-frills, one-take fashion. Kelly Hogan (no
      relation to Hulk) even contributes vocals to one track, "The Lithium
      Stiffs," making it the first Tortoise song with vocals since "Night Air"
      off of their self-titled debut back in 1995. Float your eyes across this
      tracklist:

      01 It's All Around You
      02 The Lithium Stiffs
      03 Crest
      04 Stretch (You Are All Right)
      05 Unknown
      06 Dot/Eyes
      07 On the Chin
      08 By Dawn
      09 Five Too Many
      10 Salt the Skies

      In other news, Tortoise will be playing a few select U.S. dates in April to
      coincide with the release, before shipping off to Canada to do a round with
      Four Tet, sponsored by Exclaim! Magazine (kind of a Canadian Alternative
      Press). The Canadian dates haven't quite solidified yet, but last time I
      checked we only had three or four Canadian readers anyway, and they all
      lived in Windsor. Here are the dates we do know:

      04-20 Boston, MA - Roxy
      04-21 New York, NY - Bowery Ballroom
      04-22 New York, NY - Bowery Ballroom
      04-23 Philadelphia, PA - Theater of Living Arts
      04-24 Washington, D.C. - 9:30 Club

      .: Pitchfork Review: Tortoise: Standards
      .: Pitchfork News: New Tortoise Album Due in April
      .: Tortoise: http://www.brainwashed.com/tortoise
      .: Thrill Jockey: http://www.thrilljockey.com