Re: [fearnwhiskey] Terry Allen

  • Bob Soron
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
      On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 4:51pm, Steve Gardner wrote:

      >> Just got Terry Allen's new album in the mail - poppin' it in right
      >> now.
      >>
      >> Got me thinkin': Anyone know if he EVER tours these days? Every time
      >> I see
      >> him with gig dates, it's weekends or, more likely, one off's...
      >>
      >> he's a freakin genius.
      >
      > He IS a fucking genius. He does one-off gigs here and there, but that's
      > about it.
      >
      > He's near the top of my list for underappreciated musicians. The new
      > reissue, Juarez, is amazing. Salivation is also genius. So is Lubbock
      > On
      > Everything and on and on.
      >
      > By the way, I work for Sugar Hill, but I'm a music fan first and Terry
      > is
      > really worth hearing if you haven't heard him already.

      Allen's one of the handful of people I've flown places to see. The first
      time I saw him was at Boston's Museum of Fine Arts in conjunction with a
      show of his installations -- '88 or '89 -- and I was stunned to see how
      huge a crowd he drew. He and the Panhandle Mystery Band also performed
      Juarez at a tiny theater in Harvard Square in the mid-'90s, and I saw
      Chippy both in Philadelphia and NYC. I really, really would love to see
      him more... all of his albums are always on my iPod. (I do have a radio
      show he did, at least.)

      Bob
    • Perfect Sound Forever
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004
        > Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:21:52 -0500
        > From: "Justin Hopper" <jhopper@...>
        >
        >Oooops! My bad - didn't realize it was a reissue; not one I had before.
        >Just got overly psyched when I saw the disc! ;)

        Good that this is out again but I'm kind of bummed to hear that there's no
        new album. I'd seen Terry do a show at SXSW a few years ago (with David
        Byrne joining him for an encore). He's a lot of fun live and as such, it's
        a shame that he doesn't tour more. I suspect that this is probably because
        he likes to dive into big multi-media projects (like YOUTH IN ASIA) instead
        of solely concentrating on a career as a recording artist.

        Bloodlines and Salivation are great records but my sentimental fave is
        Lubbock (On Everything), probably because that was the first TA record I owned.

        Great quote from him about using anti-social folks as subject matter for
        his songs: "I don't believe that there isn't anybody that isn't kind of an
        outcast. We wear our masks and our costumes to pretend that we're certain
        things but I think we're all pretty scramble-headed when it comes right
        down to it. All of us are pretty desperate in certain ways."

        Best,
        Jason

        Perfect Sound Forever
        online music magazine with warped perspectives since 1993
        http://www.perfectsoundforever.com