Re: [fearnwhiskey] Terry Allen

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
      > Just got Terry Allen's new album in the mail - poppin' it in right now.
      >
      > Got me thinkin': Anyone know if he EVER tours these days? Every time I see
      > him with gig dates, it's weekends or, more likely, one off's...
      >
      > he's a freakin genius.

      He IS a fucking genius. He does one-off gigs here and there, but that's
      about it.

      He's near the top of my list for underappreciated musicians. The new
      reissue, Juarez, is amazing. Salivation is also genius. So is Lubbock On
      Everything and on and on.

      By the way, I work for Sugar Hill, but I'm a music fan first and Terry is
      really worth hearing if you haven't heard him already.

      steve
    • Justin Hopper
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
        Oooops! My bad - didn't realize it was a reissue; not one I had before.

        Just got overly psyched when I saw the disc! ;)

        Justin Hopper
        Music Editor
        Pittsburgh City Paper
        650 Smithfield St., Ste. 2200
        Pittsburgh, PA 15222
        www.pghcitypaper.com
        phone: 412-316-3342 x165
        fax: 412-316-3388
        jhopper@...

        "This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright # 154085, for a
        period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin it without our permission,
        will be mighty good friends of ourn, cause we don't give a dern. Publish it.
        Write it. Sing it. Swing to it. Yodel it. We wrote it, that's all we wanted
        to do." -- Woody Guthrie

        > Just got Terry Allen's new album in the mail - poppin' it in right now.
        >
        > Got me thinkin': Anyone know if he EVER tours these days? Every time I see
        > him with gig dates, it's weekends or, more likely, one off's...
        >
        > he's a freakin genius.

        He IS a fucking genius. He does one-off gigs here and there, but that's
        about it.

        He's near the top of my list for underappreciated musicians. The new
        reissue, Juarez, is amazing. Salivation is also genius. So is Lubbock On
        Everything and on and on.

        By the way, I work for Sugar Hill, but I'm a music fan first and Terry is
        really worth hearing if you haven't heard him already.

        steve

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Bob Soron
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
          On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 4:51pm, Steve Gardner wrote:

          >> Just got Terry Allen's new album in the mail - poppin' it in right
          >> now.
          >>
          >> Got me thinkin': Anyone know if he EVER tours these days? Every time
          >> I see
          >> him with gig dates, it's weekends or, more likely, one off's...
          >>
          >> he's a freakin genius.
          >
          > He IS a fucking genius. He does one-off gigs here and there, but that's
          > about it.
          >
          > He's near the top of my list for underappreciated musicians. The new
          > reissue, Juarez, is amazing. Salivation is also genius. So is Lubbock
          > On
          > Everything and on and on.
          >
          > By the way, I work for Sugar Hill, but I'm a music fan first and Terry
          > is
          > really worth hearing if you haven't heard him already.

          Allen's one of the handful of people I've flown places to see. The first
          time I saw him was at Boston's Museum of Fine Arts in conjunction with a
          show of his installations -- '88 or '89 -- and I was stunned to see how
          huge a crowd he drew. He and the Panhandle Mystery Band also performed
          Juarez at a tiny theater in Harvard Square in the mid-'90s, and I saw
          Chippy both in Philadelphia and NYC. I really, really would love to see
          him more... all of his albums are always on my iPod. (I do have a radio
          show he did, at least.)

          Bob
        • Perfect Sound Forever
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004
            > Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:21:52 -0500
            > From: "Justin Hopper" <jhopper@...>
            >
            >Oooops! My bad - didn't realize it was a reissue; not one I had before.
            >Just got overly psyched when I saw the disc! ;)

            Good that this is out again but I'm kind of bummed to hear that there's no
            new album. I'd seen Terry do a show at SXSW a few years ago (with David
            Byrne joining him for an encore). He's a lot of fun live and as such, it's
            a shame that he doesn't tour more. I suspect that this is probably because
            he likes to dive into big multi-media projects (like YOUTH IN ASIA) instead
            of solely concentrating on a career as a recording artist.

            Bloodlines and Salivation are great records but my sentimental fave is
            Lubbock (On Everything), probably because that was the first TA record I owned.

            Great quote from him about using anti-social folks as subject matter for
            his songs: "I don't believe that there isn't anybody that isn't kind of an
            outcast. We wear our masks and our costumes to pretend that we're certain
            things but I think we're all pretty scramble-headed when it comes right
            down to it. All of us are pretty desperate in certain ways."

            Best,
            Jason

            Perfect Sound Forever
            online music magazine with warped perspectives since 1993
            http://www.perfectsoundforever.com