PLAYLISTS (2): "Viva Le Mock" 1/16/04 & 1/30/04

  • Mock the DJ
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2004
      Two weeks worth of shows to post today. As my first show of the new year,
      the 1/16/04 playlist features my "Gone but not forgotten" tribute
      highlighting bands, artists and industry folk who passed away in 2003, but
      might not have hit the headlines.

      WRCT 88.3 fm * Pittsburgh, PA * www.wrct.org
      Program: Viva Le Mock
      Date: 01-30-2004
      The Mock: Black Sabbath

      Artist -- Song (Composer/Original Artist) [comments]

      Lou Reed -- My Name is Mok
      Three Finger Cowboy -- A Foot of Snow
      Ass Ponys -- Last Night it Snowed
      The Stranglers -- Ice Queen
      Joy Division -- Ice Age
      Husker Du -- Ice Cold Ice

      Jets to Brazil -- You're the One I Want
      Talk Talk -- It's My Life*
      Neil Finn -- Throw Your Arms Around Me (Hunters & Collectors)
      [I was having the darnest time finding this version, until I listened to an
      archived "Viva Le Mock" last week while driving to Philly]
      Nick Drake -- Pink Moon
      Po' Girl -- Gone in Pawn (Shake Sugaree) (Elizabeth Cotten)
      Gladys -- My Old Kentucky Home (Foster)
      [It's nice to see Kentucky's state song written by a Pittsburgher]

      Old 97's -- Salome*
      Ryan Adams -- Amy
      Coffin Break -- Beth (KISS)
      The Sex Pistols -- Anarchy in the U.K.*
      The Hellacopters -- Down Right Blue

      Lords of the Highway -- Spy on the Run
      [In Pgh 1/31]
      Tora! Tora! Torrance! -- Sweet Sweat
      The Dirtbombs -- Executioner of Love (R. Hitchcock)
      The Original Sins -- Erotic Neutrotic (The Saints)
      The Saints -- (I'm) Stranded

      Negativland -- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For* (U2)
      Stereo Total -- Dactylo Rock
      Laika and the Cosmonauts -- N.Y. 79
      The Frampton Bros. -- Comanche (Link Wray)

      The High Strung -- It's On
      Madness -- Cardiac Arrest
      Kinks -- Cadillac
      The Pretty Things -- Bright Lights of the City
      Low Flying Owls -- The Last Day on the Planet

      THE MOCK: Black Sabbath
      The Dickies -- Paranoid (Black Sabbath)
      Quix*o*tic -- Lord of This World (Black Sabbath)
      1000 Homo DJs -- Supernaut (Black Sabbath)
      Screaming Trees -- Tomorrow's Dream
      Freakwater -- War Pigs (Black Sabbath)
      Giant Sand -- Iron Man (Black Sabbath)

      Jawbox -- Static
      Oxes -- Boss Kitty*
      Manic Hispanic -- New Rosa (The Damned)
      Snatches Of Pink -- God Speed

      Urge Overkill -- Wichita Lineman (J. Webb)
      Bobby Bare Jr's Young Criminals' Starvation League -- I'll Be Around (demo)
      Graham Lindsey -- I Won't Let You Down

      Date: 01-16-2004; 9:00 p.m.
      The Mock: Daniel Johnston

      Artist -- Song (Composer/Original Artist) [comments]

      Lou Reed -- My Name is Mok
      Big Country -- In a Big Country/Auld Lang Syne (Burns/Traditional)
      The Star Spangles -- I Live For Speed
      The Beatings -- American Standard
      Lee Hazlewood & Nancy Sinatra -- Some Velvet Morning*

      Eleventh Dream Day -- Sweet Smell
      Pavement -- The Killing Moon (Echo & the Bunnymen)
      The Feelies -- Slow Down
      Dramarama -- Work for Food (Acoustic)
      R.E.M. -- Good Advices

      Snatches Of Pink -- Decline
      Flat Duo Jets -- Sing Sing Sing
      Let's Active -- Every Word Means No
      The Shins -- Young Pilgrims
      Old 97's -- Big Brown Eyes*

      GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
      The Woggles -- Fractured
      [George Holton (guitar) d. 5/12/03]
      The Vindictives -- Rubber Bullets
      [Dr. Bob Nielsen (guitar) d. 2/22/03]
      45 Grave -- Dream Hits II
      [Rick Van Santen (manager) d. 12/28/03]
      The Smoking Popes -- Zing Went the Strings of My Heart (Hanley)
      [Jerome Evans (singer) d. 11/26/03. Jerome was a member of The Furys who
      did a cover of this song as well]

      The Power Station -- Bang a Gong (Get it On) (T.Rex)
      [Mikey Finn (drums) d. 1/11/03. Member of T. Rex*Robert Palmer (singer) d.
      9/26/03*Tony Thompson (drums) 11/12/03]
      Pere Ubu -- Non-Alignment Pact
      [Ken Hamann d. 1/10/03. Ken owned the Suma Recording Studio outside
      Cleveland, and recorded this track]
      Red Flag -- Pretty in Pity
      [Mark Reynolds (singer) 4/7/03]
      The Gargoyles -- Me and Ted
      [Paul Warhurst (singer/guitar) d. 1/27/03]
      Wesley Willis -- The Chicken Cow
      [d. 8/21/03]

      Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers -- You Got Lucky
      [Howie Epstein (bass) d. 2/23/03]
      The Cars -- My Best Friend's Girlfriend
      [Natalya Medvedeva (model) d. 2/3/03. Natalya was the Russian model on the
      cover of the Cars' first album]
      Karp -- Pistol Whipped
      [Scotty Jernigan (drums) d. 6/10/03]
      Minutemen -- This Ain't No Picnic
      [Ethan James (producer) 6/9/03]
      Warren Zevon -- Keep Me in Your Heart
      [d. 9/7/03]

      THE MOCK: Daniel Johnston
      Groovie Ghoulies -- Deviltown (D. Johnston)
      The Dead Milkmen -- Rocketship (D. Johnston)
      fIREHOSE -- Walking the Cow (D. Johnston)
      Sparklehorse -- My Yoke is Heavy (D. Johnston)
      Half Japanese -- I Live for Love (D. Johnston)
      The Meat Purveyors -- Museum of Love (D. Johnston)
      Mary Lou Lord -- Speeding Motorcycle (D. Johnston)

      The Breakup Society -- Robin Zander
      [Sad news in the local community was the recent death of local musician,
      Rich Rust]
      Cheap Trick -- Dream Police
      The Loud Family -- Back of a Car (Big Star)
      Apollo Sunshine -- The Egg
      Sweet -- Funny Funny

      Man -- Crap*
      Tora! Tora! Torrance! -- Yr All on Our Dance Card
      The Dirtbombs -- Stuck in Thee Garage
      Afghan Whigs -- White Trash Party
      Madness -- Return of the Los Palmas 7

      * requests

      Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software � optimizes dial-up to the max!
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2004
        Paul posted a couple of playlists that included:

        > The Dirtbombs -- Executioner of Love (R. Hitchcock)

        Wow! Is this on an album? That's one of my favorite Hitchcock songs, and
        I bet it sounds good rocked up.

        > Pere Ubu -- Non-Alignment Pact
        > [Ken Hamann d. 1/10/03. Ken owned the Suma Recording Studio outside
        > Cleveland, and recorded this track]

        Nicely done paying him tribute, and very nice show overall.

        Carl "I'm doing this for free, just like Live Aid" Z.