Clip: New Magnetic Fields Album Due in May

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004
      <http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/04-02/02.shtml#story4>

      New Magnetic Fields Album Due in May
      "Don't make me get all e.e. cummings on your ass."

      [Updated Monday, February 2nd, 2004 03:30:00 Pitchfork Central Time]

      Micah C. Harding reports:
      Stephin Merritt and his Magnetic Fields will be joining the world of the
      living again this May 4th, with the release of their first studio album in
      over five years. The Field's newest conceptual endeavor, simply titled i,
      will be released through Nonesuch.

      69 Love Songs, the band's most recent (and greatest) stroke of conceptual
      epiphany, hit at the end of the '90s-- providing a myriad of sound styles
      and interpretations of love for all those willing to listen. "Asleep and
      Dreaming," to this very day, still, on occasion, sometimes, brings a tear
      to my eye. And the whimsical, lusty ferris wheel that is "Let's Pretend
      We're Bunny Rabbits" remains indie rocks infallible anthem for drunken
      animal suit lovemaking. With his distinct voice, songwriting abilities and
      talented team to carry out his visions, Merritt has found himself a place
      among the greatest in the indie canon.

      The same foursome forming 69 Love Songs has returned for i; but Merritt,
      for the first time ever, will sing all the songs himself (so long to
      Claudia Gonson). A promotional tour is planned for spring/early summer.

      Along with his work with the Magnetic Fields, Merritt is well known for his
      collaborations with other artists, writing film soundtracks (most recently,
      Pieces of April), and collaborative side project The 6ths. This year,
      Merritt will undergo a second collaboration with the famed Chinese theatre
      director Shi-Zheng Chen (their previous engagement being Chen's The Orphan
      of Zhao). Now the two will join forces to create The Peach Blossom Fan,
      which will premiere at the Red Cat Theater in Los Angeles this April.

      .: Pitchfork Review: Stephin Merritt: Pieces of April
      .: Pitchfork Review: Magnetic Fields: 69 Love Songs
      .: Pitchfork News: New Magnetic Fields Songs to Appear on Soundtrack
      .: Stephin Merritt: http://www.houseoftomorrow.com
      .: Nonesuch: http://www.nonesuch.com
    • Steve Gardner
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004
        Has it really been five years since 69 Love Songs? Jeez, I'm getting old quick.

        By the way, I've had 69 Love Songs for five years and I'm still waiting for it to grow on me. The only song I like is Papa Was A Rodeo, but that has more to do with Kelly Hogan than the MFs. Don't say I haven't tried, though.

        steve, isn't much of a fan of low voices...he thinks that's the problem.

        np: the mountain goats

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004
          --On Monday, February 2, 2004 9:11 AM -0500 Steve Gardner
          <steve@...> wrote:

          > steve, isn't much of a fan of low voices...he thinks that's the problem.

          So I shouldn't buy you a Handsome Family boxed set for your birthday?

          Carl Z.
        • Steve Gardner
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004
            >So I shouldn't buy you a Handsome Family boxed set for your birthday?

            If you did, I would file it with my Beat Happening Box Set and my Crash Test
            Dummies Box Set.

            steve, likes nick cave though