Topsoil/Haywire Playlist for 2/1/4 on WXDU Durham NC

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2004

      I had the Mountain Goats on Haywire today. It was really terrific. Not only is John Darnielle a great singer and songwriter, but he also is really intense when he sings, which is nice to see up close. Try it for yourself! The Mountain Goats are playing a show at GO on Feb 16. Their new album, We Shall All Be Healed, comes out on Tuesday. It's a big month for the Mountain Goats and we are proud to have him and his wife as new residents in Durham.

      The bad news is that the minidisc player at the station has seemed to malfunctioned and I didn't get a copy of the show today. Wah! If

      Steve Gardner
      Noon-3pm Sundays
      WXDU Durham, NC - 88.7FM

      *Bottle Rockets/Bud Nanney's Theme/Bottle Rockets/ESD
      [Theme song]

      *Blasters/Dark Night (Live)/Trouble Bound/Hightone
      *Billy Bacon and the Forbidden Pigs/Wasted Days and
      Wasted Nights-Volver Volver/Pig Latin/XXX
      [Live, with Chris Gaffney.]
      *Dwight Yoakam/Alright, I'm Wrong/Tomorrow's Sounds Today/Reprise
      [With Flaco Jimenez and Buck Owens.]
      *Terry Allen/Cortez Sail/Juarez/Sugar Hill
      [From the new reissue of this classic album.]

      *Cory Branan/Skateland South/The Hell You Say/Madjack
      [Well, I went ice skating yesterday for the first time in,
      oh, 20 years. It was awesome. I brought my daughter
      and her friend. At one point they put the Scorpions greatest
      hits on the speaker system and I started having serious
      flashbacks to the late 70s and early 80s. Suddenly the
      Scorps were my new favorite band...once again. Well
      anyways, I decided to come in and play a few good
      songs about skating. I started with this one which just
      about says it all. It's about downing 7 soda pops to
      try to get the nerve to ask the girl of your dreams
      out for a couples skate.]
      *Loudon Wainwright III/Tonya's Twirls/So Damn Happy/Sanctuary
      [A song about Tonya Harding.]
      *Gear Daddies/I Wanna Ride the Zamboni/Billy's Live Bait/Polydor
      [Self explanatory]

      *James McMurtry and the Heartless Bastards/No More Buffalo/
      Live in Aught-Three/Compadre
      [New live album from James and it's a really good one.]
      *Drive By Truckers/One of These Days/Pizza Deliverance/Soul Dump
      [By request]
      *Mulehead/Pilate/The Gospel Accordion II/HTS
      *Gerald Collier/Pure Lonely/Breakin' Down/Isota
      *Tarbox Ramblers/Were You There?/A Fix Back East/Rounder
      [This one sounded very Velvet Undergroundish.]

      Graham Parker
      "Your Country"
      *Anything For A Laugh
      *The Rest Is History
      [For this Album of the Month I chose this new Graham Parker
      album. It's country-ish. It's my favorite album of Graham's
      since "Live Alone in America" which came out at least a
      dozen years ago.]

      *Jon Langford/The Country Is Young/All The Fame Of Lofty
      *Jesse Harris and the Ferdinandos/I've Got To See You Again/
      Crooked Lines/jesseharrismusic.com
      *Sadies/Empty The Chamber/Tremendous Efforts/Bloodshot
      *Cam Penner & the Gravel Road/Gravel Truck/Get Up/Cam Penner
      [I don't know who this guy is, but I really like this song.]

      *Volebeats/Maggot Brain/Country Favorites/Turquoise Mountain
      [A Funkadelic cover. Very cool sounding. Reminds me of
      a Pink Floyd instrumental. Uh oh, did I just out myself as a
      fan of Pink Floyd instrumentals?]
      *Mojave 3/In Love With A View/Excuses For Travelers/4AD
      *Uncle Tupelo/Moonshiner/March 16-20, 1992/Legacy Columbia
      [At this point someone emailed and requested I keep it
      good and depressing for the rest of the show. I did my best.]

      *Skeeter Davis/My Last Date (With You)/The Essential
      Skeeter Davis/RCA
      *Ray Charles/Crying Time Again/Complete Country and
      Western Recordings/Rhino
      *Thad Cockrell/I Was So Lonesome/Warmth and Beauty/Yep Roc
      *Hem/When I Was Drinking/Rabbit Songs/Bar None

      *Six Organs of Admittance/Gone Astray/Compathia/
      Holy Mountain
      *The Delgados/No Danger/The Great Eastern/Mantra

      Live on Haywire
      *Going Through Pomona
      *Letter From Belgium
      *Furniture Huxley cover
      *Linda Blair Was Innocent
      *OrangeBall of Hate (i think)

      *Mountain Goats/Pigs That Ran Straightaway Into The
      Water, Triumph Of/We Shall All Be Healed/4AD
      *Charizma and Peanut Butter Wolf/Red Light Green
      Light/Big Shots/Stones Throw