Re: hello!

  • robwestcott.rm
    Message 1 of 26 , May 18, 2002
      > The sun finally came out in Seattle (it's 3:30).Off to see Jim
      > Roll at the Tractor.

      hey lisa. tell jim that rob in bloomington said hi.

      rob.
      themaryjanes.com
    • czimring
      Message 2 of 26 , May 19, 2002
        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Dan Rigney <rigney@i...> wrote:
        > I'm hoping we can get signed glossies of Mr. Z., or an Efendubya
        Coffee mug
        > or a vegan matzoh ball soup recipe out of our membership in this
        list.

        > Dan "or a Carl Zimring scrap metal decoder ring" Rigney

        Cool, I'm getting pledges! Dan, you can have all of those things if
        we somehow get you to St. Louis for Twangfest this year. (If there's
        anyone on list who's unaware of Twangfest, check out www.twangfest.org
        and click around.)

        I'm not above bribery,
        Carl
      • czimring
        Message 3 of 26 , May 19, 2002
          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "lmerlin01" <lmerlin01@y...> wrote:
          > I am very excited about this. Does it mean we can talk about Joel
          > Phelps, Kristin Hersh, and Mark Eitzel among others ?!!! Sign me up
          > then! Woohoo!

          Yep, all of the above. News-wise, I don't know if Joel has anything
          coming out -- last I heard he had moved to Vancouver and was going to
          get married. KH is playing a small club in Pittsburgh (the same one
          where the Mary Janes did a fine set last night) the same weekend as
          Twangfest, and Eitzel supposedly is going to reunite with some of his
          old AMC bandmates to record a new album in a few months. I'm enjoying
          his goofy new covers album.

          Carl
        • Lance Davis
          Message 4 of 26 , May 19, 2002
            Hey y'all, greetings from Austin -

            So, new Silkworm, eh? Carl, do dish ... like when is this sucker
            coming out? And when did Silkworm leave Seattle? I thought I
            read something in conjunction with Lifestyle that said they were
            now a Chicago band. I'm sure they're much more appreciated there
            than in SeaTown. BTW, are there any Silkworm bootlegs floating
            around?

            Lance

            =====
            "Marge: Nobody told us how tough it is to raise kids. They almost drove me to fortified wine.

            Homer: Then we figured out we could park them in front of the TV. That's how I was raised, and I turned out TV."

            LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
            http://launch.yahoo.com
          • czimring
            Message 5 of 26 , May 19, 2002
              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
              > Hey y'all, greetings from Austin -
              >
              > So, new Silkworm, eh? Carl, do dish ... like when is this sucker
              > coming out? And when did Silkworm leave Seattle? I thought I
              > read something in conjunction with Lifestyle that said they were
              > now a Chicago band. I'm sure they're much more appreciated there
              > than in SeaTown. BTW, are there any Silkworm bootlegs floating
              > around?

              Dunno about bootlegs, but the new album _Italian Platinum_ comes out
              on Touch & Go the first week in June. So far, it's my favorite record
              released this year (I haven't heard the new Alejandro yet) mixing the
              boys' concise rock with some keyboards and Kelly Hogan's gorgeous
              singing. (She takes lead vocals on one song and does backup on much
              of the disc.)

              Silkworm gradually migrated to Chicago over the past few years,
              starting when Andy Cohen went to law school. I think Tim Midgett
              works for Shure. I selfishly love the move because it means they're
              much closer to -- and more likely to play in -- Pittsburgh.

              Carl
            • Dan Rigney
              Message 6 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                OK_

                I've seen Silkworm come up in several places now as a name, but have heard nothing. I'm curious. Where's a good place to sample 'em?

                Dan "if you hear about something three times from three different unrelated sources, check it out" Rigney

                At 04:03 PM 5/19/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
                > Hey y'all, greetings from Austin -
                >
                > So, new Silkworm, eh? Carl, do dish ... like when is this sucker
                > coming out? And when did Silkworm leave Seattle? I thought I
                > read something in conjunction with Lifestyle that said they were
                > now a Chicago band. I'm sure they're much more appreciated there
                > than in SeaTown. BTW, are there any Silkworm bootlegs floating
                > around?

                Dunno about bootlegs, but the new album _Italian Platinum_ comes out
                on Touch & Go the first week in June.  So far, it's my favorite record
                released this year (I haven't heard the new Alejandro yet) mixing the
                boys' concise rock with some keyboards and Kelly Hogan's gorgeous
                singing.  (She takes lead vocals on one song and does backup on much
                of the disc.)

                Silkworm gradually migrated to Chicago over the past few years,
                starting when Andy Cohen went to law school.  I think Tim Midgett
                works for Shure.  I selfishly love the move because it means they're
                much closer to -- and more likely to play in -- Pittsburgh.

                Carl

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                9c13ab.jpg
                9c147e.jpg

              • Lance Davis
                Message 7 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                  Good luck Dan. I tried Googling but only came up with MP3s for
                  Silkworm's side project with Steve Milkmoose, the Crust
                  Brothers. That's alright, but not very representative.

                  As for starting points, YMMV, but I think Libertine's the high
                  water mark for the Joel Phelps era - and still my favorite SKWM
                  record. Three good-to-great songwriters finally hitting their
                  stride, a very spacious and deep recording (courtesy of Steve
                  Albini, who knows about such things), and phat ol' guitars. I
                  don't know what other people call this kind of music - emo,
                  maybe? - but Television, Thin White Rope, Joy Division and a
                  bunch of square-jawed Krautrockers seem to be the obvious
                  touchstones.

                  Of the post-Phelps records I think Firewater has the
                  widest-ranging collection of songs, but Developer and Lifestyle
                  are both well-worth checking out. Then's there's the comps,
                  which should NOT be your starting point.

                  Hope some of this helps. Lance

                • lmerlin01
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 19, 2002

                    > Yep, all of the above. News-wise, I don't know if Joel has anything
                    > coming out -- last I heard he had moved to Vancouver and was going
                    > get married.

                    That's what I hear too. I'm bummed because I really thought I would
                    be able to see him now that I'm in Seattle.I'm the only one out of
                    the P2 contingency who like him though (they equate Joel with the
                    sound a cat makes when you step on it's tail <grin>).

                    I haven't even heard any Silkworm yet.What should I start with (if I
                    ever get any money)

                    KH is playing a small club in Pittsburgh (the same one
                    > where the Mary Janes did a fine set last night)

                    She is out in Seattle too but hasn't played yet. What's going on
                    here?!

                    We are going to see the Knitters tonight.This woman Jesse Skyes is
                    backing them up.You guys may like her, she's a mopey twanger,lots of
                    strings on the record. I like her.

                    Lisa
                  • wfsilvers
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                      "czimring" wrote:

                      > KH is playing a small club in Pittsburgh (the same one
                      > where the Mary Janes did a fine set last night) the same weekend as
                      > Twangfest

                      It's a shame you'll be missing her, but she plays Pittsburgh
                      occasionally, doesn't she?
                      Anyhow, I'm jumping in to ask if the Mary Janes did "Allison" from
                      that upcoming Stiff tribute record?

                      b.s. who usually steers folks toward The Mysteries of Life for Vulgar
                      Boatmen spin-offs( and so many people ask me!<g>), but who thinks the
                      MJ's are OK too
                    • czimring
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "lmerlin01" <lmerlin01@y...> wrote:
                        > I haven't even heard any Silkworm yet.What should I start with (if I
                        > ever get any money)

                        There's that money thing. I love Silkworm and I love Joel Phelps, but
                        I think they've made their best music away from each other. If you
                        want to hear their best stuff with Joel, I agree that _Libertine_ is
                        the high point of that incarnation of the band, though the Matador
                        compilation _Even a Blind Chicken_ collects a lot of good material.
                        I'd start with the first trio record _Firewater_ (especially if you
                        like drinking songs -- gotta get the "whiskey" content in for this
                        list!), but any of the subsequent records save _Developer_ are fine
                        places to start. The new one is splendid; if you want to wait a
                        couple of weeks and dig Kelly Hogan, that would make an excellent
                        introduction.

                        I don't remember if they have any mp3's at the official band website,
                        but maybe Touch & Go or www.12xu.net (their UK label) have something.

                        > KH is playing a small club in Pittsburgh (the same one
                        > > where the Mary Janes did a fine set last night)
                        >
                        > She is out in Seattle too but hasn't played yet. What's going on
                        > here?!

                        She comes to town at least once a year. Don't know if a new record is
                        in the works or if she's just doing a tour to tour.

                        > We are going to see the Knitters tonight.This woman Jesse Skyes is
                        > backing them up.You guys may like her, she's a mopey twanger,lots of
                        > strings on the record. I like her.

                        I haven't heard this yet but will check to see if we have it in at the
                        station. Is she from Seattle?

                        Carl
                      • czimring
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                          About Ms. Hersh "wfsilvers" <wfsilvers@y...> wrote:
                          > It's a shame you'll be missing her, but she plays Pittsburgh
                          > occasionally, doesn't she?

                          About once a year, so I'm not slitting my wrists over missing this
                          one. Pittsburgh's a funny town -- we can go weeks with few good shows
                          and then there's a cluster of can't-miss shows. I left town for a
                          week in 1998 and managed to miss very-rare appearances by Paul Kelly
                          and Pere Ubu. Kelly finally came back last month but I'm still
                          waiting on Ubu. I'll miss KH this time, but luckily Alejandro
                          Escovedo plays a free oudoor show the following Tuesday.

                          > Anyhow, I'm jumping in to ask if the Mary Janes did "Allison" from
                          > that upcoming Stiff tribute record?

                          They did not, but Janas unveiled a few new songs, some of which sound
                          like she's been listening to gospel. Good stuff, I hope they make it
                          to a CD comes out before too long.

                          > b.s. who usually steers folks toward The Mysteries of Life for Vulgar
                          > Boatmen spin-offs( and so many people ask me!<g>), but who thinks the
                          > MJ's are OK too

                          Did they put a record out last year, Bill? If you bring in the Silos,
                          that's quite a fertile family tree.

                          Carl
                        • Patrick Randerson
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                            It's been so long since I've had an earful of fear and whiskey!
                            Though when I saw the group name, I thought it was fernwhiskey -- some
                            group about making pre-cambrian alcohol or a bunch of washington state
                            hippies.

                            Anyhow, I'll argue that Firewater is probably the best Silkworm record,
                            but I have a hard time picking between the foursome-era Libertine and In
                            the West. In the West is rough and raw, and there's some really great
                            tracks on it.
                            Developer and Blueblood are both good, but I was completely unable to get
                            into Lifestyle -- while Joel's records seem to keep getting better.

                            Here's hoping that the new one smacks me in the face like In the West did.

                            I've read mixed reviews of the new Kristin Hersch record -- I spent much
                            of the weekend listening to Hips and Makers, which I hadn't heard in a
                            long time. Maybe I missed the first part of this discussion, but is the
                            new one worth it?

                            I've yet to find any radio in Columbus, OH that gives me my new music fix,
                            so I'm stuck with recommendations + Audiogalaxy to tell me what to buy.
                          • Rob Jefferson
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                              On Sun, 19 May 2002, Patrick Randerson wrote:

                              > Developer and Blueblood are both good, but I was completely unable to get
                              > into Lifestyle -- while Joel's records seem to keep getting better.

                              I really couldn't get into Developer. It was an okay album, but a bit of
                              a letdown, since there wasn't much that stood out (except, perhaps, for
                              "Ice Station Zebra"). I didn't mind Blueblood too much -- true, it wasn't
                              a great album, but it had its share of moments, even if occasionally they
                              sounded downright bored. Aside from "Treat the New Guy Right" and the
                              Faces cover, I wasn't too keen on Lifestyle. Just seemed...rather
                              mediocre for them.

                              > I've read mixed reviews of the new Kristin Hersch record -- I spent much
                              > of the weekend listening to Hips and Makers, which I hadn't heard in a
                              > long time. Maybe I missed the first part of this discussion, but is the
                              > new one worth it?

                              There's an album newer than Sunny Border Blue? I should seek it out.
                              Sunny was a fairly decent album, but it felt like a holding pattern for
                              her, a repeat of sorts of her previous albums, but mostly like Sky Motel.
                              Not to say that it's a bad album -- it's actually rather enjoyable -- but
                              that she's not really going in any new/surprising directions with it. I
                              still say to pick it up, though.

                              And...err...hi, Patrick. Long time no see. :)

                              rob
                            • Patrick Randerson
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                > There's an album newer than Sunny Border Blue? I should seek it out.

                                Apparently not. Shows how much I pay attention to anything these days. I
                                saw Sunny Border Blue in the store, read some reviews online, and never
                                bothered to look at the release date. So yeah, that was a long time ago --
                                I need to get out of the lab and into the record store more often.

                                I'll just sit down and be quiet...
                              • czimring
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                  --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Rob Jefferson <jeffer@t...> wrote:
                                  > Sunny was a fairly decent album, but it felt like a holding pattern for
                                  > her, a repeat of sorts of her previous albums, but mostly like Sky
                                  Motel.
                                  > Not to say that it's a bad album -- it's actually rather enjoyable
                                  -- but
                                  > that she's not really going in any new/surprising directions with
                                  it. I
                                  > still say to pick it up, though.

                                  It's one of my favorites of hers. I agree that the sound follows from
                                  _Sky Motel_ (one-woman band with more electric guitar and percussion
                                  than on previous solo efforts), but her lyrics are among the most
                                  striking of her career, and she does a great reinterpretation of Cat
                                  Stevens's "Trouble". Does she have another disc in the pipeline? I
                                  haven't heard any of her Works in Progress mp3s she's done since _SBB_...

                                  Carl
                                • Laura A. Watt
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                    It's one of my favorites of hers. I agree that the sound follows from
                                    _Sky Motel_ (one-woman band with more electric guitar and percussion
                                    than on previous solo efforts), but her lyrics are among the most
                                    striking of her career, and she does a great reinterpretation of Cat
                                    Stevens's "Trouble". Does she have another disc in the pipeline? I
                                    haven't heard any of her Works in Progress mp3s she's done since _SBB_...

                                    She's working on another Throwing Muses record, believe it or not!!

                                    laura
                                  • czimring
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Laura A. Watt" <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                                      > She's working on another Throwing Muses record, believe it or not!!
                                      >
                                      > laura

                                      Really? Who's in the band? I eagerly await this one...

                                      Carl
                                    • Laura A. Watt
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                        Same band, I'm pretty sure -- I've not been following the latest
                                        news, but I'm sure there's plenty of info on the website,
                                        http://www.throwingmusic.com

                                        The new Works in Progress is up and waiting to be subscribed to, too
                                        -- there have been three songs so far, two of which she more or less
                                        said "this is when i knew it was going to have to be a Muses
                                        record"...

                                        full of incomplete information,
                                        laura
                                      • czimring
                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Laura A. Watt" <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                                          > full of incomplete information,
                                          > laura

                                          Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news
                                          that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and they
                                          aren't doing much touring behind it. And Lisa, she'll do a solo set
                                          at Bumbershoot, so there's your Seattle date!

                                          Carl
                                        • wfsilvers
                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> replied to my MoL :

                                            > > b.s. who usually steers folks toward The Mysteries of Life for
                                            Vulgar Boatmen spin-offs

                                            > Did they put a record out last year, Bill?

                                            Yup, October 23rd (if the AMG is to be believed). It's called DISTANT
                                            RELATIVE and it's self-released, which is probably why it flew way
                                            under my radar till this spring (and even then I kept forgetting about
                                            it...I've finally got a copy on order, and I'll report back once i've
                                            heard it). The MoL website appears to be down
                                            ( members.aol.com/autobeatnik/ )
                                            which might have a little something to do with the massive buzz the
                                            record isn't getting.

                                            > If you bring in the Silos, that's quite a fertile family tree.

                                            Yeah, though The Silos are sort of the older brother of the Boatmen,
                                            which makes them an uncle to MoL, unless they're an aunt...I'm getting
                                            all confused now. If you bring MoL's Antenna mom into it, and the
                                            Blake Babies grandma (or is it aunt?), well, I'm getting all confused.
                                            <g>

                                            b.s.
                                          • lmerlin01
                                            Message 21 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> wrote:

                                              > Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news
                                              > that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and
                                              they
                                              > aren't doing much touring behind it. And Lisa, she'll do a solo
                                              set
                                              > at Bumbershoot, so there's your Seattle date!

                                              Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                                              Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                                              about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                                              one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                                              so I can play it now?

                                              Carl asked about Jesse Sykes. Yes, she's from Seattle and plays with
                                              a band called the Sweet Hereafter with her boyfriend Phil, the
                                              grumpy one who played with Whiskeytown <g>. I really like most of
                                              the record, very melodic, sad, although her voice won't be for
                                              everyone. Check, check , check it out!

                                              Lisa
                                            • Laura A Watt
                                              Message 22 of 26 , May 21, 2002
                                                Lisa wrote:

                                                >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                                                >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                                                >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                                                >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                                                >so I can play it now?

                                                It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
                                                called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
                                                it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
                                                fan ever since.

                                                A massive poll was recently done via the TM website to determine
                                                folks' favorite songs, which I believe Billy is going to use in part
                                                to great a "greatest hits" sort of thing at some point -- to see the
                                                poll results, go to

                                                http://www.solace.net/musings/BestMusesSongs.htm

                                                I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
                                                in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
                                                completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
                                                others in the next ten.

                                                waking up to hooks in my head,
                                                laura
                                              • czimring
                                                Message 23 of 26 , May 21, 2002
                                                  --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Laura A Watt <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                                                  > Lisa wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                                                  > >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                                                  > >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                                                  > >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                                                  > >so I can play it now?
                                                  >
                                                  > It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
                                                  > called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
                                                  > it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
                                                  > fan ever since.

                                                  And if you can't track down that album, it was reissued with a bunch
                                                  of early material on _In a Doghouse_ a few years ago.

                                                  [poll]
                                                  > I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
                                                  > in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
                                                  > completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
                                                  > others in the next ten.

                                                  I dig "Hate My Way", but am *shocked* that "Call Me" didn't even make
                                                  the cut! (Both of those songs are on _Throwing Muses_ and are among
                                                  my favorite songs of the 1980s.)

                                                  Carl Z.*

                                                  *By way of a welcome to Carl Wilson on this list (our first
                                                  Canadian!), I shall now add an initial to differentiate our posts.