Re: 2003 favorites?

  • ahacksaw1
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
      --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Benham"
      <a.s.benham@b...> wrote:

      > Thats a different reaction. Normally people just pat me on the
      head,
      > sit me down in a corner allow me to rabbit on uncontrollably
      about
      > music without taking a blind bit of notice.

      Well, I hope you'll continue to rabbit on, even if your doing so
      does cost me money. <g> But in the credit where credit is due
      department, I should note that Chris Hill was (I think) the first
      person to mention Downpilot here. I pay attention to his
      recommendations too, and in this case, I think it was the
      cumulative effect that prodded me to go and listen, and buy.
    • Andy Benham
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
        On 4 Dec 2003 at 15:42, ahacksaw1 wrote:

        > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Benham"
        > <a.s.benham@b...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Thats a different reaction. Normally people just pat me on the
        > head,
        > > sit me down in a corner allow me to rabbit on uncontrollably
        > about
        > > music without taking a blind bit of notice.
        > >
        > Well, I hope you'll continue to rabbit on, even if your doing so
        > does cost me money. <g> But in the credit where credit is due
        > department, I should note that Chris Hill was (I think) the first
        > person to mention Downpilot here. I pay attention to his
        > recommendations too, and in this case, I think it was the
        > cumulative effect that prodded me to go and listen, and buy.

        Absolutely, and to prove the point also on my MOM order is a Texas
        Instruments cd that I thought I'd give a go on the strength of talk
        here. The fact it was only $5 also helped.Andrew Benham
        Email A.S.Benham@...
        Tel.No. 0121 414 4126 (work)
        Tel.No. 0121 414 0655 (home)
      • Stevo
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 5, 2003
          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
          > "Lush Jazz Butcher" makes me think that old guitarist Max
          (responsible for
          > most of the jazzy parts of the mid-80s recordings) rejoined the
          band at
          > some point. Haven't heard anything....
          >
          > Carl Z.

          Are Jazz Butcher highly regarded over here then?
          Only things I remember about them are meeting them in Groningen when
          I was at a gig headlined by Einsturzebde Neubauten and that the guy
          who went on to play bass in Levitation then Dark Star was an ex-member
          Stevo
          Np Savage Republic Tragic Figures plus Mobilization
        • Stevo
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 5, 2003
            --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
            I wanna know the music you've enjoyed
            > this year.
            Not sure about what I bought this year from this year.

            Have been getting heavily into The Moodists tw fisted art over the
            last week. That actually came out end of last year and was recorded
            about 19 years earlier.
            I've been pretty retro this year UI nthink, currently discovering mid
            80s heavy guitar stuff as well as jazz, 60s psych, whatever folk etc.

            sudden;y got a credit card that I'm gonna have to destroy means I've
            got a lot of other stuff at hand's reach.

            Liked the Angels of Light cd and the Gira/Matz collaboration What We
            Did muchly.
            Finding out that I've got a new friend who's pretty partial to
            krautrock too.

            I reccommend Dublin's Tycho Brahe, but I think I've done that once
            recently.
            Alo a pretty raw mod band from Leeds UK called the Uptight
            and a local band called the Black mariahs who are pretty rock and
            roll, early 70s who/Jazz etc etc.
            Stevo
            Np Savage REpublic Tragic Figures plus Tragic Figure/Empty Quarter
          • Chris Hill
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 5, 2003
              Stevo wrote:

              > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
              > > "Lush Jazz Butcher" makes me think that old guitarist Max
              > (responsible for
              > > most of the jazzy parts of the mid-80s recordings) rejoined the
              > band at
              > > some point. Haven't heard anything....
              > >
              > > Carl Z.
              >
              > Are Jazz Butcher highly regarded over here then?

              As far as US fans go, I think they're a well-kept secret, but on the
              indiepop list, a lot of people know and like them.

              Chris
              np: the Stills
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 6, 2003
                --On Friday, December 5, 2003 7:45 PM +0000 Stevo <Stuggy@...>
                wrote:

                > Are Jazz Butcher highly regarded over here then?

                I'm quite partial to the _Bloody Nonsense_ comp Big Time put out in 1986.
                Wish it existed on CD.