Re: Rich Hopkins/Sidewinders

  • Mock the DJ
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2003
      Chris Hill wrote:
      > > I had to look that one up, since I wasn't sure. He mentions meeting
      > > her here: http://www.sanjacintorecords.com/whatsnew.html, way back
      > > in 2000 (do a wordsearch for "Manning"), so they might have started
      > > a working relationship. Hopkins used to be half of old fave Arizona
      > > band Sidewinders, until they got sued for the name and changed to
      > > the Sand Rubies. Sadly defunct.

      Carl replied:
      >The Sand Rubies -- there's a band I hadn't thought of in ages. Thanks,
      >Chris. I mixed Rich Hopkins up with J.C. Hopkins and I'm amused that
      >Barbara Manning knows both men!

      I saw the Sidewinders open for Steve Wynn back in '90 on his first solo
      tour. Weren't they originally on Mammoth Records?

      Paul

      Take advantage of our best MSN Dial-up offer of the year � six months
      @$9.95/month. Sign up now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2003
        --On Wednesday, December 3, 2003 9:45 AM -0500 Mock the DJ
        <mockthedj@...> wrote:

        > I saw the Sidewinders open for Steve Wynn back in '90 on his first solo
        > tour. Weren't they originally on Mammoth Records?

        I don't know, but I think they were labelmates of the Silos and Graham
        Parker on RCA back when RCA's president was Bob Buziak.

        Carl Z.
      • Chris Hill
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2003
          > I saw the Sidewinders open for Steve Wynn back in '90 on his first solo
          > tour. Weren't they originally on Mammoth Records?
          >
          > Paul

          AllMusic says both _Witchdoctor_ and _Auntie Ramos' Pool Hall_ were
          on RCA, but I seem to recall my _Witchdoctor_ having the Mammoth
          logo. Their first, _Cuacha!_, was self-released.

          Chris
          np: Sun Kil Moon, decent enough new album by Mark Kozelek of Red
          House Painters