Playlist for Morning Show Thursday on November 27, 2003

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2003
      Better late than never.............

      Playlist for Morning Show Thursday on November 27, 2003

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      The Ovations - I'm Living Good - I'm Living Good
      [ This song features the wonderful voice of Louis Williams who
      passed away earlier this year. This song is reminiscent of Sam Cooke
      and was written by Dan Penn & Spooner Oldham. ]

      R.B. Greaves - Take a Letter Maria - Atlantic Groove Masters - Vol.
      2
      [ I don't even know another R.B. Greaves song but this is a
      great one from the nephew of Sam Cooke. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Laura Lee - Separation Line - The Girls Got Soul
      [ This set features some great female soul vocalists. This song
      was recorded in 1969 at the FAME studio in Muscle Shoals. ]

      Bessie Banks - Go Now - Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures - Vol. 2
      [ The original & still the best version of this song that has
      been covered by the Moody Blues & Paul McCartney ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Staple Singers - The Weight - Soul Folk In Action
      [ I'd still pick the version with the Staples & The Band on the
      Last Waltz as being the best version but this is sublime, as well,
      with more vocals from Mavis Staples. ]

      Bobby "Blue" Bland - Don't Cry No More - Two Steps From The Blues
      [ One of the best blues albums ever - There are so many great
      songs on this...take your pick. ]

      The Band - Don't Do It - Rock Of Ages
      [ Yet another version of the song first made famous by Marvin
      Gaye played on the Thursday Morning Show. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Who - I Can't Reach You - The Who Sell Out
      [ For some reason, I've just recently became a listener of this
      particular Who album. Don't know why it passed me by but I sure like
      it. "I Can See For Miles" is the one hit on this but it's got all
      kinds of great songs & it's pretty damn funny with the fake
      commercials between songs. ]

      Maxtone Four - One More Thing - Go Steady*
      [ Appearing at the Way Out along with Dressy Bessy on Saturday,
      Dec. 6 ]

      The Jam - Eton Rifles - Setting Sons
      [ This still remains my favorite Jam album of all and I wish I
      would have had the opportunity to see them more than one time. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Fiery Furnaces - Tropical Ice-Land - Gallowsbird's Bark*
      [ A little late in the show to play something new but here you
      go. This is a brother & sister duo out of NY and despite the (crazy)
      comparisons some writers have been making, sound nothing like the
      White Stripes. More piano-based, less bluesy, and featuring mainly
      female vocals. Kind of a weird, quirky, all over the place album from
      a stylistic standpoint. I like it. ]

      The Shins - Fighting In A Sack - Chutes Too Narrow*
      [ Another really good new release. ]

      The Monkees - Pleasant Valley Sunday - The Monkees: Greatest Hits
      [ Hey, hey, it's the terrific vocal by Mickey Dolenz that makes
      this song. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Long Winters - Stupid Girl - When I Pretend To Fall*
      [ As a good friend said, why this is not a big hit is beyond
      him. See this Seattle band when they finally decide to make it
      through St. Louis. ]

      Beck - The New Pollution - Odelay

      Small Faces - Itchycoo Park - Ultimate Collection
      [ So continues the trend of playing fine songs written by Ronnie
      Lane (and Steve Marriott, in this case) on the Thursday Morning
      Show. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Bangles - Stealing Rosemary - Doll Revolution*
      [ O.K., they have a new release out. It's time to book that
      Missouri date. Somebody get the Blue Note or Mississippi Nights on
      the phone. ]

      Sam Phillips - These Boots Are Made For Walking - Ready To Wear OST
      [ A: The final runway scene & this song

      Q: Name the only two things notable about this movie ]

      Lee Hazlewood - My Baby Cried All Night Long - These Boots Are Made
      For Walking
      [ It's a Lee Hazlewood extravaganza, I tell you....... ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Walter Brennan - Henry Had A Merry Christmas - Twas The Night
      Before Christmas...Back Home
      [ Song # 1 about a turkey - I won't give away the ending. ]

      Ry Cooder - Across The Borderline - Music By Ry Cooder
      [ I think this song featured in the movie "The Border" has the
      distinction of being performed live by both Bob Dylan & Bruce
      Springsteen. Vocals by Freddy Fender. ]

      Butch Hancock - Mr. Mudd & Mr. Gold - Split & Slide II
      [ Lyric writing at its best. Just an amazing song written by
      Townes Van Zandt and performed by somebody else who seems to have fun
      with and a love for the English language. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Gabby The Gobbler - Roy Rogers -
      [ Song #2 about a turkey ]

      Tammy Wynette - Don't Come Home A Drinkin' (With Lovin' On Your
      Mind) - Your Good Girl's Gonna Go Bad

      Shelby Lynne - 10 Rocks - Identity Crisis*
      [ This album is a great return to form by Shelby Lynne after the
      Glen Ballard misstep. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Son Volt - Last Minute Shakedown - Straightaways
      [ Way underrated album, in my opinion. ]

      Neil Young - Motion Pictures - On The Beach
      [ I just love the weary-sounding, almost resigned vocals on this
      album. ]

      Chuck Prophet - Diamond Jim - The Hurting Business
      [ Quite a rarity hearing Chuck Prophet on the Thursday Morning
      Show, I know. Really, everybody needs to own a copy of this release.
      It would be worth it just for the song "Dyin' All Young" but there is
      so much more to recommend it for. ]

      - -
      [ HAPPY THANKSGIVING !! So concludes another episode of the
      Thursday Morning Show. Thanks for listening and/or reading the play
      list. ]