Cash (was Re: 2003 favorites)

    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
      --On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 2:40 PM -0500 Perfect Sound Forever
      <perfectlist@...> wrote:

      > Any thoughts on the Johnny Cash box set?

      My thought is that it would be an excellent gift for someone to give me.
      On paper, it sounds wonderful.

      Carl Z.
    • Lisa
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
        --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Catherine Lewis <cplewis@i...>
        wrote:
        > On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Perfect Sound Forever wrote:
        > > I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing
        nothing for
        > > me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of
        people
        > > whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet.

        That's cool. It's hard to describe why music affects you, positively
        or negatively. I guess with the Wrens, for me personally, the record
        makes me really sad(and in a good way if that makes any sense). The
        whole record from start to finish is about a breakup that the lead
        singer did not want to happen. I like his voice although I really
        had to listen to it on head phones a few times before I fell in love
        with it. He writes some damn good lyrics and the fact that they are
        all in my age bracket, 35-40, is cool.

        "..I can't type, I can't temp, and I'm way past college"

        Lisa
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 3, 2003
          Here's a review of the box, from this week's Onion.

          Carl Z.

          ***

          Johnny Cash
          Cash Unearthed (Buy It!)
          (American/Lost Highway)
          Cash Unearthed Johnny Cash's massively important and prolific career had
          its fertile and fallow periods, but few expected a major peak in 1994,
          after years of forgettable albums, cultural invisibility, and poor sales.
          Fewer still expected a resurgence under the guidance of Rick Rubin, the
          producer best known for his legendary work in rap and heavy metal. But
          Rubin's initial vision for Cash?sitting him down with an esoteric
          assortment of source material and recording the singer's bare-bones
          interpretations?helped spark a career renewal that continued through Cash's
          death in September. American Recordings, the first fruit of their
          collaborations, ranks among Cash's best work, as well as the greatest
          albums of the '90s. And while the singer's subsequent three records for the
          American label produced slowly diminishing returns as his voice
          deteriorated and the song selection grew more iffy, Cash and Rubin's many
          sessions produced an abundance of enduring classics. Amazingly, Cash
          recorded dozens of songs between May (after the death of his wife, the
          incomparable June Carter Cash) and his death on Sept. 12, and he had just
          finished contributing liner notes for an exhaustive and lavishly packaged
          treasure chest of outtakes from the American era. Not counting a pointless
          greatest-hits disc spanning his last four albums, Cash Unearthed compiles
          64 unreleased tracks on four individually titled discs: Who's Gonna Cry
          (some of which has been heard on the indispensable American Outtakes
          bootleg), Trouble In Mind (like 1996's Unchained, recorded with Tom Petty &
          The Heartbreakers, among others), Redemption Songs (a set of covers
          featuring guests such as Fiona Apple, Nick Cave, and the late Joe
          Strummer), and My Mother's Hymn Book (an assortment of stripped-down
          religious songs Cash hailed as his own best work). Though it represented
          the culmination of a lifelong dream for Cash, My Mother's Hymn Book is the
          least compelling of the four new albums, largely because its
          warm-but-straightforward spirituals are accompanied by little of the
          conflict or contemplation inherent in his best religious material. But the
          other three, while marred by the occasional misstep, run in varying shades
          of incredible. Who's Gonna Cry serves as a natural companion piece to
          1994's American Recordings, presenting a riveting, near-perfect collection
          of acoustic meditations on life, death, love, and murder. (The set draws
          its title from the chilling "The Caretaker," a hair-raising ballad which
          poses the question, "Who's gonna cry when old John dies?") Trouble In Mind
          similarly reflects its counterpart: Though it brings to mind Unchained's
          spirited performances and outstanding peaks, it also has the misfortune of
          following a disc with more intensity and heft. It does, however, feature
          the most moving moment on Cash Unearthed. "As Long As The Grass Shall
          Grow," performed with June Carter Cash, encapsulates both singers'
          brilliance and love for each other in an appropriately timeless tearjerker.
          Redemption Songs doles out some classics of its own, with its most notable
          track pairing Cash with The Clash, as Joe Strummer joins in on a moving
          cover of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song." Not content to merely fill some
          gaps in Cash's recent catalog, Cash Unearthed provides an essential tour
          through the final years of a towering career. Fittingly, that life's work
          closes on an extended highpoint worthy of the brilliant work that made Cash
          an eternal icon. ?Stephen Thompson
        • Mock the DJ
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 3, 2003
            Someone wrote:
            > > > I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing
            >nothing for
            > > > me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of
            >people
            > > > whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet.

            Lisa replied:
            >That's cool. It's hard to describe why music affects you, positively
            >or negatively. I guess with the Wrens, for me personally, the record
            >makes me really sad(and in a good way if that makes any sense). The
            >whole record from start to finish is about a breakup that the lead
            >singer did not want to happen. I like his voice although I really
            >had to listen to it on head phones a few times before I fell in love
            >with it. He writes some damn good lyrics and the fact that they are
            >all in my age bracket, 35-40, is cool.
            >Lisa

            The Wrens have always fallen in that "Archers of Loaf" slanted indie-rock
            category for me.
            The disc of theirs that I would really recommend is their 1996 release,
            "Secaucus"
            (Sadly enough) you can usually find it used at a decent price.

            Paul

            np: Smoking Popes - Live

            Tired of slow downloads and busy signals? Get a high-speed Internet
            connection! Comparison-shop your local high-speed providers here.
            https://broadband.msn.com