Wrens (was Re: 2003 favorites)

  • Catherine Lewis
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
      On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Perfect Sound Forever wrote:
      > I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing nothing for
      > me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of people
      > whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet.

      I saw them a few weeks ago and felt the same way. I thought the record was OK -- although I haven't listened to it recently, so maybe that says something -- and the show was good for their ridiculous amount of energy, but after a while, the songs all started sounding exactly the same and I gave up and left. Maybe if I was more familiar with their work, it would've meant more to me, but I guess that's like saying I would've enjoyed "Russian Ark" if I knew more about Russian history -- the statement may be true, but I am not at all motivated to go seek out the required information.

      However (warning: shameless self-promotion ahead) they did photograph pretty well, despite the wretched lighting situation and my hatred for color film:
      http://www.autumnshades.com/photos/wrens_20031109/16.jpg

      Catherine.
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
        --On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 2:40 PM -0500 Perfect Sound Forever
        <perfectlist@...> wrote:

        > Any thoughts on the Johnny Cash box set?

        My thought is that it would be an excellent gift for someone to give me.
        On paper, it sounds wonderful.

        Carl Z.
      • Lisa
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Catherine Lewis <cplewis@i...>
          wrote:
          > On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Perfect Sound Forever wrote:
          > > I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing
          nothing for
          > > me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of
          people
          > > whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet.

          That's cool. It's hard to describe why music affects you, positively
          or negatively. I guess with the Wrens, for me personally, the record
          makes me really sad(and in a good way if that makes any sense). The
          whole record from start to finish is about a breakup that the lead
          singer did not want to happen. I like his voice although I really
          had to listen to it on head phones a few times before I fell in love
          with it. He writes some damn good lyrics and the fact that they are
          all in my age bracket, 35-40, is cool.

          "..I can't type, I can't temp, and I'm way past college"

          Lisa
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 3, 2003
            Here's a review of the box, from this week's Onion.

            Carl Z.

            ***

            Johnny Cash
            Cash Unearthed (Buy It!)
            (American/Lost Highway)
            Cash Unearthed Johnny Cash's massively important and prolific career had
            its fertile and fallow periods, but few expected a major peak in 1994,
            after years of forgettable albums, cultural invisibility, and poor sales.
            Fewer still expected a resurgence under the guidance of Rick Rubin, the
            producer best known for his legendary work in rap and heavy metal. But
            Rubin's initial vision for Cash?sitting him down with an esoteric
            assortment of source material and recording the singer's bare-bones
            interpretations?helped spark a career renewal that continued through Cash's
            death in September. American Recordings, the first fruit of their
            collaborations, ranks among Cash's best work, as well as the greatest
            albums of the '90s. And while the singer's subsequent three records for the
            American label produced slowly diminishing returns as his voice
            deteriorated and the song selection grew more iffy, Cash and Rubin's many
            sessions produced an abundance of enduring classics. Amazingly, Cash
            recorded dozens of songs between May (after the death of his wife, the
            incomparable June Carter Cash) and his death on Sept. 12, and he had just
            finished contributing liner notes for an exhaustive and lavishly packaged
            treasure chest of outtakes from the American era. Not counting a pointless
            greatest-hits disc spanning his last four albums, Cash Unearthed compiles
            64 unreleased tracks on four individually titled discs: Who's Gonna Cry
            (some of which has been heard on the indispensable American Outtakes
            bootleg), Trouble In Mind (like 1996's Unchained, recorded with Tom Petty &
            The Heartbreakers, among others), Redemption Songs (a set of covers
            featuring guests such as Fiona Apple, Nick Cave, and the late Joe
            Strummer), and My Mother's Hymn Book (an assortment of stripped-down
            religious songs Cash hailed as his own best work). Though it represented
            the culmination of a lifelong dream for Cash, My Mother's Hymn Book is the
            least compelling of the four new albums, largely because its
            warm-but-straightforward spirituals are accompanied by little of the
            conflict or contemplation inherent in his best religious material. But the
            other three, while marred by the occasional misstep, run in varying shades
            of incredible. Who's Gonna Cry serves as a natural companion piece to
            1994's American Recordings, presenting a riveting, near-perfect collection
            of acoustic meditations on life, death, love, and murder. (The set draws
            its title from the chilling "The Caretaker," a hair-raising ballad which
            poses the question, "Who's gonna cry when old John dies?") Trouble In Mind
            similarly reflects its counterpart: Though it brings to mind Unchained's
            spirited performances and outstanding peaks, it also has the misfortune of
            following a disc with more intensity and heft. It does, however, feature
            the most moving moment on Cash Unearthed. "As Long As The Grass Shall
            Grow," performed with June Carter Cash, encapsulates both singers'
            brilliance and love for each other in an appropriately timeless tearjerker.
            Redemption Songs doles out some classics of its own, with its most notable
            track pairing Cash with The Clash, as Joe Strummer joins in on a moving
            cover of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song." Not content to merely fill some
            gaps in Cash's recent catalog, Cash Unearthed provides an essential tour
            through the final years of a towering career. Fittingly, that life's work
            closes on an extended highpoint worthy of the brilliant work that made Cash
            an eternal icon. ?Stephen Thompson
          • Mock the DJ
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 3, 2003
              Someone wrote:
              > > > I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing
              >nothing for
              > > > me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of
              >people
              > > > whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet.

              Lisa replied:
              >That's cool. It's hard to describe why music affects you, positively
              >or negatively. I guess with the Wrens, for me personally, the record
              >makes me really sad(and in a good way if that makes any sense). The
              >whole record from start to finish is about a breakup that the lead
              >singer did not want to happen. I like his voice although I really
              >had to listen to it on head phones a few times before I fell in love
              >with it. He writes some damn good lyrics and the fact that they are
              >all in my age bracket, 35-40, is cool.
              >Lisa

              The Wrens have always fallen in that "Archers of Loaf" slanted indie-rock
              category for me.
              The disc of theirs that I would really recommend is their 1996 release,
              "Secaucus"
              (Sadly enough) you can usually find it used at a decent price.

              Paul

              np: Smoking Popes - Live

              Tired of slow downloads and busy signals? Get a high-speed Internet
              connection! Comparison-shop your local high-speed providers here.
              https://broadband.msn.com