Re: 2003 favorites

  • Perfect Sound Forever
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
      I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing nothing for
      me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of people
      whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet. Same
      with Shins though less so. For the life of me, I can't figure out what
      either of them do that say, Pernice Brothers and the New Pornographers
      don't do much better.

      Off the top of my head, some of the best 2003 stuff I've heard is Bettie
      Serveert, Crooked Fingers, Busdriver, Gina Villalobos, Outkast, Todd
      Snider, Snow Patrol, Sole, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, the Swaggerts, Basement Jaxx,
      Jon Langford, Pink, Ruby on the Vine, Warren Zevon, Daughter, Rufus
      Wainwright, 'Johnny's Blues- A Tribute to Johnny Cash' and Lucinda
      Williams. Oh and the Pernice Bros and the New Pornographers... Loved
      White Stripes and Radiohead at first but I'm not so sure now.

      Any thoughts on the Johnny Cash box set?

      Best,
      Jason
    • Catherine Lewis
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
        On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Perfect Sound Forever wrote:
        > I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing nothing for
        > me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of people
        > whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet.

        I saw them a few weeks ago and felt the same way. I thought the record was OK -- although I haven't listened to it recently, so maybe that says something -- and the show was good for their ridiculous amount of energy, but after a while, the songs all started sounding exactly the same and I gave up and left. Maybe if I was more familiar with their work, it would've meant more to me, but I guess that's like saying I would've enjoyed "Russian Ark" if I knew more about Russian history -- the statement may be true, but I am not at all motivated to go seek out the required information.

        However (warning: shameless self-promotion ahead) they did photograph pretty well, despite the wretched lighting situation and my hatred for color film:
        http://www.autumnshades.com/photos/wrens_20031109/16.jpg

        Catherine.
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
          --On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 2:40 PM -0500 Perfect Sound Forever
          <perfectlist@...> wrote:

          > Any thoughts on the Johnny Cash box set?

          My thought is that it would be an excellent gift for someone to give me.
          On paper, it sounds wonderful.

          Carl Z.
        • Lisa
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
            --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Catherine Lewis <cplewis@i...>
            wrote:
            > On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Perfect Sound Forever wrote:
            > > I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing
            nothing for
            > > me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of
            people
            > > whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet.

            That's cool. It's hard to describe why music affects you, positively
            or negatively. I guess with the Wrens, for me personally, the record
            makes me really sad(and in a good way if that makes any sense). The
            whole record from start to finish is about a breakup that the lead
            singer did not want to happen. I like his voice although I really
            had to listen to it on head phones a few times before I fell in love
            with it. He writes some damn good lyrics and the fact that they are
            all in my age bracket, 35-40, is cool.

            "..I can't type, I can't temp, and I'm way past college"

            Lisa
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 3, 2003
              Here's a review of the box, from this week's Onion.

              Carl Z.

              ***

              Johnny Cash
              Cash Unearthed (Buy It!)
              (American/Lost Highway)
              Cash Unearthed Johnny Cash's massively important and prolific career had
              its fertile and fallow periods, but few expected a major peak in 1994,
              after years of forgettable albums, cultural invisibility, and poor sales.
              Fewer still expected a resurgence under the guidance of Rick Rubin, the
              producer best known for his legendary work in rap and heavy metal. But
              Rubin's initial vision for Cash?sitting him down with an esoteric
              assortment of source material and recording the singer's bare-bones
              interpretations?helped spark a career renewal that continued through Cash's
              death in September. American Recordings, the first fruit of their
              collaborations, ranks among Cash's best work, as well as the greatest
              albums of the '90s. And while the singer's subsequent three records for the
              American label produced slowly diminishing returns as his voice
              deteriorated and the song selection grew more iffy, Cash and Rubin's many
              sessions produced an abundance of enduring classics. Amazingly, Cash
              recorded dozens of songs between May (after the death of his wife, the
              incomparable June Carter Cash) and his death on Sept. 12, and he had just
              finished contributing liner notes for an exhaustive and lavishly packaged
              treasure chest of outtakes from the American era. Not counting a pointless
              greatest-hits disc spanning his last four albums, Cash Unearthed compiles
              64 unreleased tracks on four individually titled discs: Who's Gonna Cry
              (some of which has been heard on the indispensable American Outtakes
              bootleg), Trouble In Mind (like 1996's Unchained, recorded with Tom Petty &
              The Heartbreakers, among others), Redemption Songs (a set of covers
              featuring guests such as Fiona Apple, Nick Cave, and the late Joe
              Strummer), and My Mother's Hymn Book (an assortment of stripped-down
              religious songs Cash hailed as his own best work). Though it represented
              the culmination of a lifelong dream for Cash, My Mother's Hymn Book is the
              least compelling of the four new albums, largely because its
              warm-but-straightforward spirituals are accompanied by little of the
              conflict or contemplation inherent in his best religious material. But the
              other three, while marred by the occasional misstep, run in varying shades
              of incredible. Who's Gonna Cry serves as a natural companion piece to
              1994's American Recordings, presenting a riveting, near-perfect collection
              of acoustic meditations on life, death, love, and murder. (The set draws
              its title from the chilling "The Caretaker," a hair-raising ballad which
              poses the question, "Who's gonna cry when old John dies?") Trouble In Mind
              similarly reflects its counterpart: Though it brings to mind Unchained's
              spirited performances and outstanding peaks, it also has the misfortune of
              following a disc with more intensity and heft. It does, however, feature
              the most moving moment on Cash Unearthed. "As Long As The Grass Shall
              Grow," performed with June Carter Cash, encapsulates both singers'
              brilliance and love for each other in an appropriately timeless tearjerker.
              Redemption Songs doles out some classics of its own, with its most notable
              track pairing Cash with The Clash, as Joe Strummer joins in on a moving
              cover of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song." Not content to merely fill some
              gaps in Cash's recent catalog, Cash Unearthed provides an essential tour
              through the final years of a towering career. Fittingly, that life's work
              closes on an extended highpoint worthy of the brilliant work that made Cash
              an eternal icon. ?Stephen Thompson
            • Mock the DJ
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 3, 2003
                Someone wrote:
                > > > I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing
                >nothing for
                > > > me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of
                >people
                > > > whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet.

                Lisa replied:
                >That's cool. It's hard to describe why music affects you, positively
                >or negatively. I guess with the Wrens, for me personally, the record
                >makes me really sad(and in a good way if that makes any sense). The
                >whole record from start to finish is about a breakup that the lead
                >singer did not want to happen. I like his voice although I really
                >had to listen to it on head phones a few times before I fell in love
                >with it. He writes some damn good lyrics and the fact that they are
                >all in my age bracket, 35-40, is cool.
                >Lisa

                The Wrens have always fallen in that "Archers of Loaf" slanted indie-rock
                category for me.
                The disc of theirs that I would really recommend is their 1996 release,
                "Secaucus"
                (Sadly enough) you can usually find it used at a decent price.

                Paul

                np: Smoking Popes - Live

                Tired of slow downloads and busy signals? Get a high-speed Internet
                connection! Comparison-shop your local high-speed providers here.
                https://broadband.msn.com