Dwight Yoakam (was Re: 2003 favorites)

  • ahacksaw1
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
      --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring
      <cz28@a...> wrote:

      > I've only heard a couple of songs on the digital Americana
      station, but it
      > sounds like he's still putting out first-rate heartbreak music.

      The other Dwight fan in my house and I disagree on this, but I
      think "Population Me" is a very fine album, and one of Dwight's
      more consistent efforts in a while. My only complaint about
      it--and this is a complaint that I rarely make about any record
      these days--is that it's a little on the short side, with just 10
      songs (all of 'em fairly short and snappy, too). But it still
      manages to range from ballads to Buck-influenced twang to
      honky tonk; the usual spectrum of Dwightness, in short. It'll be in
      my top 10 for sure.
    • Perfect Sound Forever
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
        I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing nothing for
        me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of people
        whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet. Same
        with Shins though less so. For the life of me, I can't figure out what
        either of them do that say, Pernice Brothers and the New Pornographers
        don't do much better.

        Off the top of my head, some of the best 2003 stuff I've heard is Bettie
        Serveert, Crooked Fingers, Busdriver, Gina Villalobos, Outkast, Todd
        Snider, Snow Patrol, Sole, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, the Swaggerts, Basement Jaxx,
        Jon Langford, Pink, Ruby on the Vine, Warren Zevon, Daughter, Rufus
        Wainwright, 'Johnny's Blues- A Tribute to Johnny Cash' and Lucinda
        Williams. Oh and the Pernice Bros and the New Pornographers... Loved
        White Stripes and Radiohead at first but I'm not so sure now.

        Any thoughts on the Johnny Cash box set?

        Best,
        Jason
      • Catherine Lewis
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
          On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Perfect Sound Forever wrote:
          > I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing nothing for
          > me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of people
          > whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet.

          I saw them a few weeks ago and felt the same way. I thought the record was OK -- although I haven't listened to it recently, so maybe that says something -- and the show was good for their ridiculous amount of energy, but after a while, the songs all started sounding exactly the same and I gave up and left. Maybe if I was more familiar with their work, it would've meant more to me, but I guess that's like saying I would've enjoyed "Russian Ark" if I knew more about Russian history -- the statement may be true, but I am not at all motivated to go seek out the required information.

          However (warning: shameless self-promotion ahead) they did photograph pretty well, despite the wretched lighting situation and my hatred for color film:
          http://www.autumnshades.com/photos/wrens_20031109/16.jpg

          Catherine.
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
            --On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 2:40 PM -0500 Perfect Sound Forever
            <perfectlist@...> wrote:

            > Any thoughts on the Johnny Cash box set?

            My thought is that it would be an excellent gift for someone to give me.
            On paper, it sounds wonderful.

            Carl Z.
          • Lisa
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
              --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Catherine Lewis <cplewis@i...>
              wrote:
              > On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Perfect Sound Forever wrote:
              > > I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing
              nothing for
              > > me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of
              people
              > > whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet.

              That's cool. It's hard to describe why music affects you, positively
              or negatively. I guess with the Wrens, for me personally, the record
              makes me really sad(and in a good way if that makes any sense). The
              whole record from start to finish is about a breakup that the lead
              singer did not want to happen. I like his voice although I really
              had to listen to it on head phones a few times before I fell in love
              with it. He writes some damn good lyrics and the fact that they are
              all in my age bracket, 35-40, is cool.

              "..I can't type, I can't temp, and I'm way past college"

              Lisa
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 3, 2003
                Here's a review of the box, from this week's Onion.

                Carl Z.

                ***

                Johnny Cash
                Cash Unearthed (Buy It!)
                (American/Lost Highway)
                Cash Unearthed Johnny Cash's massively important and prolific career had
                its fertile and fallow periods, but few expected a major peak in 1994,
                after years of forgettable albums, cultural invisibility, and poor sales.
                Fewer still expected a resurgence under the guidance of Rick Rubin, the
                producer best known for his legendary work in rap and heavy metal. But
                Rubin's initial vision for Cash?sitting him down with an esoteric
                assortment of source material and recording the singer's bare-bones
                interpretations?helped spark a career renewal that continued through Cash's
                death in September. American Recordings, the first fruit of their
                collaborations, ranks among Cash's best work, as well as the greatest
                albums of the '90s. And while the singer's subsequent three records for the
                American label produced slowly diminishing returns as his voice
                deteriorated and the song selection grew more iffy, Cash and Rubin's many
                sessions produced an abundance of enduring classics. Amazingly, Cash
                recorded dozens of songs between May (after the death of his wife, the
                incomparable June Carter Cash) and his death on Sept. 12, and he had just
                finished contributing liner notes for an exhaustive and lavishly packaged
                treasure chest of outtakes from the American era. Not counting a pointless
                greatest-hits disc spanning his last four albums, Cash Unearthed compiles
                64 unreleased tracks on four individually titled discs: Who's Gonna Cry
                (some of which has been heard on the indispensable American Outtakes
                bootleg), Trouble In Mind (like 1996's Unchained, recorded with Tom Petty &
                The Heartbreakers, among others), Redemption Songs (a set of covers
                featuring guests such as Fiona Apple, Nick Cave, and the late Joe
                Strummer), and My Mother's Hymn Book (an assortment of stripped-down
                religious songs Cash hailed as his own best work). Though it represented
                the culmination of a lifelong dream for Cash, My Mother's Hymn Book is the
                least compelling of the four new albums, largely because its
                warm-but-straightforward spirituals are accompanied by little of the
                conflict or contemplation inherent in his best religious material. But the
                other three, while marred by the occasional misstep, run in varying shades
                of incredible. Who's Gonna Cry serves as a natural companion piece to
                1994's American Recordings, presenting a riveting, near-perfect collection
                of acoustic meditations on life, death, love, and murder. (The set draws
                its title from the chilling "The Caretaker," a hair-raising ballad which
                poses the question, "Who's gonna cry when old John dies?") Trouble In Mind
                similarly reflects its counterpart: Though it brings to mind Unchained's
                spirited performances and outstanding peaks, it also has the misfortune of
                following a disc with more intensity and heft. It does, however, feature
                the most moving moment on Cash Unearthed. "As Long As The Grass Shall
                Grow," performed with June Carter Cash, encapsulates both singers'
                brilliance and love for each other in an appropriately timeless tearjerker.
                Redemption Songs doles out some classics of its own, with its most notable
                track pairing Cash with The Clash, as Joe Strummer joins in on a moving
                cover of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song." Not content to merely fill some
                gaps in Cash's recent catalog, Cash Unearthed provides an essential tour
                through the final years of a towering career. Fittingly, that life's work
                closes on an extended highpoint worthy of the brilliant work that made Cash
                an eternal icon. ?Stephen Thompson
              • Mock the DJ
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 3, 2003
                  Someone wrote:
                  > > > I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing
                  >nothing for
                  > > > me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of
                  >people
                  > > > whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet.

                  Lisa replied:
                  >That's cool. It's hard to describe why music affects you, positively
                  >or negatively. I guess with the Wrens, for me personally, the record
                  >makes me really sad(and in a good way if that makes any sense). The
                  >whole record from start to finish is about a breakup that the lead
                  >singer did not want to happen. I like his voice although I really
                  >had to listen to it on head phones a few times before I fell in love
                  >with it. He writes some damn good lyrics and the fact that they are
                  >all in my age bracket, 35-40, is cool.
                  >Lisa

                  The Wrens have always fallen in that "Archers of Loaf" slanted indie-rock
                  category for me.
                  The disc of theirs that I would really recommend is their 1996 release,
                  "Secaucus"
                  (Sadly enough) you can usually find it used at a decent price.

                  Paul

                  np: Smoking Popes - Live

                  Tired of slow downloads and busy signals? Get a high-speed Internet
                  connection! Comparison-shop your local high-speed providers here.
                  https://broadband.msn.com