Rich Hopkins Re: [fearnwhiskey] Pernice Bros.

  • Chris Hill
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2003
      > >> np: Rich Hopkins & Luminarios, Ka-Ju-Tah
      > >
      > > Hey, Carl Z -
      > >
      > > You might be interested in this one - Steve Wynn guests on a track.
      > > Nothing remarkable, midtempo stomp-guitar rock (with a cowbell?),
      > > but if you're a completist...
      >
      > Y'know, I was about to ask what this was like when I saw your last post.
      > Is Hopkins the guy who sometimes works with Barbara Manning?
      >
      > Carl Z.

      I had to look that one up, since I wasn't sure. He mentions meeting
      her here: http://www.sanjacintorecords.com/whatsnew.html, way back
      in 2000 (do a wordsearch for "Manning"), so they might have started
      a working relationship. Hopkins used to be half of old fave Arizona
      band Sidewinders, until they got sued for the name and changed to
      the Sand Rubies. Sadly defunct. Now puts stuff out solo and with
      his pals, the Luminarios. Seems like he knows/has played with most
      everyone in the Arizona scene. The album he did with Billy Sedlmayr
      called _The Fifty Percenter_ has some fine tunes. Recommended,
      along with any all Sidewinders/Sand Rubies disc (except the live
      ones - not the best sound). Rich has a great guitar sound, but not
      the best voice, so I dig the albums above, where he works with
      better singers. For the Luminarios, he's the main vocalist.

      Chris
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2003
        --On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 6:18 AM -1100 Chris Hill <chillout@...>
        wrote:

        > I had to look that one up, since I wasn't sure. He mentions meeting
        > her here: http://www.sanjacintorecords.com/whatsnew.html, way back
        > in 2000 (do a wordsearch for "Manning"), so they might have started
        > a working relationship. Hopkins used to be half of old fave Arizona
        > band Sidewinders, until they got sued for the name and changed to
        > the Sand Rubies. Sadly defunct.

        The Sand Rubies -- there's a band I hadn't thought of in ages. Thanks,
        Chris. I mixed Rich Hopkins up with J.C. Hopkins and I'm amused that
        Barbara Manning knows both men!