Re: [fearnwhiskey] 2003 favorites?

  • Andy Benham
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 2, 2003
      On 2 Dec 2003 at 5:25, Chris Hill wrote:

      > British Sea Power - The Decline of British Sea Power (did this come
      > out in '02 in the U.K.?, good live show)

      No, fairly certain it came out this year. Finally got to see them last
      Friday after several near misses, cancellations etc. And very good
      they were too. The lead singer reminded me of a cross between
      Brett Anderson and Jim Kerr.
      Incidentally the support were called The Killers, who apparently
      come from Las Vegas. Suffered from a Psychedelic Furs overdose
      to my ears. If I see one more post punk band in buttoned up black
      shirts and floppy fringes, well there'll be hell to pay.....

      > Downpilot - Leaving not Arriving (local band a lot of list folk
      > would dig, particularly any who've heard the Sanford Arms cd)

      Waiting for MOM to deliver this along with Two Cow Garage and The
      Shins
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 2, 2003
        --On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 5:25 AM -1100 Chris Hill <chillout@...>
        wrote:

        > Haven't seen the latest Pernice Brothers mentioned yet, which is
        > surprises me. Joe Pernice continues to put out quality stuff.

        I don't know why, but _Yours, Mine & Ours_ just didn't grab me. Maybe I
        had unrealistic expectations after loving _The World Won't End_, as the
        production and harmonies sound great. I never got into the songs...

        Chris then said
        >> np: Rich Hopkins & Luminarios, Ka-Ju-Tah
        >
        > Hey, Carl Z -
        >
        > You might be interested in this one - Steve Wynn guests on a track.
        > Nothing remarkable, midtempo stomp-guitar rock (with a cowbell?),
        > but if you're a completist...

        Y'know, I was about to ask what this was like when I saw your last post.
        Is Hopkins the guy who sometimes works with Barbara Manning?

        Carl Z.
      • Andy Benham
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
          On 30 Nov 2003 at 11:56, Carl Zimring wrote:

          Without having done much thought, 2003 seems like a real
          > strong year for new releases...
          >
          > Carl Z.

          Not too many UK releases mentioned so far. So here's 10 + 1 I've
          liked this year. So FWIW

          Mos Eisley - The get up set
          Reynolds - Love songs
          Alisdair Roberts - Farewell sorrow
          Pip Dylan - Of all the things I can eat....
          British Sea Power - The decline of.....
          Camera Obscura - Underachievers, please try harder
          Broken Family Band - Cold water songs
          Rock of Travolta - Uluru
          Wisdom of Harry - Torch division
          ballboy - The sash my father wore
          Elbow - Cast of thousands

          and close behind - RT, Zephyrs, Havenots, Peter Bruntnell, Jim
          Moray

          And to redress the balance 10 + 1 from USA

          Bonnie Prince Billy - Master and everyone
          Calla - Televise
          Calexico - Feast of wire
          Devics - The stars at Saint Andrea
          Califone - quicksand/cradlesnakes
          Noahjohn - Water hymns
          Willard Grant Conspiracy - Regard the end
          Gillian Welch - Soul journey
          The Decemberists - Castaways and cutouts
          My Morning Jacket - It still moves
          South San Gabriel - Welcome, convalescence

          and close behind - DBT, Steve Wynn, M.Ward, Faraway Places,
          Okkervil River, Josh Rouse, Explosions in the sky

          From elsewhere

          The sleepy jackson - Lovers
          Herman Dune - Mas Cambios
          Herman Dune - Mash concrete, metal mushroom

          And if I had to pick 2 from those I'd probably say Reynolds and
          South San Gabriel.

          Some reissues and comps.

          Trembling blue stars - A certain evening light
          V/A - Gone fishin, A Wichita compilation
          V/A - Rough Trade Shops, Post Punk 1
          V/A - Rough Trade Shops, Country 1
          Television - Marquee moon
          V/A - 25 Rough Trade, Stop me if you've heard this before

          And finally 5 shows amongst many

          Gillian Welch @ Irish Centre, Birmingham
          Gotan Project @ Summer Sundae, Leicester
          Richard Buckner @ Ceol Castle, Birmingham
          My Morning Jacket/South San Gabriel @ Rescue Rooms,
          Nottingham
          Soul Brothers @ MAC Arena, Birmingham

          and finally, finally the worst 30 quid I've ever spent

          Bob Dylan @ NEC Arena, Birmingham

          Andy
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
            I like it when Andy posts what he's listening to, because he never fails to
            mention stuff I've never heard of, much less heard!

            Carl Z.

            --On Wednesday, December 3, 2003 2:32 PM +0000 Andy Benham
            <a.s.benham@...> wrote:

            > From elsewhere
            >
            > The sleepy jackson - Lovers
            > Herman Dune - Mas Cambios
            > Herman Dune - Mash concrete, metal mushroom
          • ahacksaw1
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
              --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring
              <cz28@a...> wrote:
              > I like it when Andy posts what he's listening to, because he
              never fails to
              > mention stuff I've never heard of, much less heard!

              Andy is bad for my wallet, though good for my eardrums. Fresh
              from purchasing a ballboy CD, largely on his recommendation, I
              decided to give Downpilot a listen. Mmm...dreamy and downbeat
              and intricate, just my sort of thing. I'll be ordering it momentarily,
              thanking and cursing Andy simultaneously as I do so.
            • Lisa
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
                --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Benham" <a.s.benham@b...>
                wrote:
                >> Some reissues and comps.

                > Trembling blue stars - A certain evening light

                I love reading Andy's lists. If I ever have any extra money (yeah
                right), I am going to buy Ballboy. I really like what I have heard.

                I found the Trembling Blue Stars "Broken by Whispers" in the $2 bin
                at a used record store and I love it. What other ones are good?

                Did you like South's new one, Andy? Another one that I really liked
                but it may be too Britpop for you <g>

                Lisa, way too busy today
              • Chris Hill
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
                  Lisa wrote:

                  > I found the Trembling Blue Stars "Broken by Whispers" in the $2 bin
                  > at a used record store and I love it. What other ones are good?

                  _Alive to Every Smile_, the last studio disc was an '01 fave. "Haunted
                  Days", "St. Paul's Cathedral At Night", "The Ghost of an Unkissed Kiss" -
                  all stellar. Before that, bearing in mind I'm not an uber-fan, the TBS
                  albums and the Field Mice albums (TFM begat TBS) blend together in
                  my head. I'm sure early fans could point out the differences.

                  And that Ballboy album is worth the buy. Isn't the U.S. release a comp
                  of various Ballboy EPs, plus some extras? Anyhow, it's very pleasant.
                  Used "A Europewide Search of Love" on my year-end songs comp - not
                  representative of the whole, like a lush Jazz Butcher track. The album
                  as a whole strikes me like JB vs. Snow Patrol. Haven't bought their new
                  one yet, but I will.

                  Too little impulse control, too much music. Ordered the new Aluminum
                  Group today, only available through the label prior to its Jan '04 release.
                  Nice to have those bands one'll buy unheard.

                  Chris
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                    --On Wednesday, December 3, 2003 5:26 PM -0800 Chris Hill
                    <chillout@...> wrote:

                    > And that Ballboy album is worth the buy. Isn't the U.S. release a comp
                    > of various Ballboy EPs, plus some extras? Anyhow, it's very pleasant.
                    > Used "A Europewide Search of Love" on my year-end songs comp - not
                    > representative of the whole, like a lush Jazz Butcher track.

                    "Lush Jazz Butcher" makes me think that old guitarist Max (responsible for
                    most of the jazzy parts of the mid-80s recordings) rejoined the band at
                    some point. Haven't heard anything....

                    Carl Z.
                  • Andy Benham
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                      On 4 Dec 2003 at 0:12, Lisa wrote:

                      > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Benham" <a.s.benham@b...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >> Some reissues and comps.
                      >

                      > > Trembling blue stars - A certain evening light
                      >

                      > I love reading Andy's lists. If I ever have any extra money (yeah
                      > right), I am going to buy Ballboy. I really like what I have heard.
                      >
                      > I found the Trembling Blue Stars "Broken by Whispers" in the $2 bin
                      > at a used record store and I love it. What other ones are good?

                      Chris's suggestion is about right. The cd I mentioned is a comp. of
                      lots of early singles, b sides etc

                      > Did you like South's new one, Andy? Another one that I really liked
                      > but it may be too Britpop for you <g>

                      Can't say I've heard them. Will keep my ears peeled.

                      Andy
                    • Andy Benham
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                        On 3 Dec 2003 at 23:05, ahacksaw1 wrote:

                        > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring
                        > <cz28@a...> wrote:
                        > > I like it when Andy posts what he's listening to, because he
                        > never fails to
                        > > mention stuff I've never heard of, much less heard!
                        > >
                        > Andy is bad for my wallet, though good for my eardrums. Fresh
                        > from purchasing a ballboy CD, largely on his recommendation, I
                        > decided to give Downpilot a listen. Mmm...dreamy and downbeat
                        > and intricate, just my sort of thing. I'll be ordering it momentarily,
                        > thanking and cursing Andy simultaneously as I do so.

                        Thats a different reaction. Normally people just pat me on the head,
                        sit me down in a corner allow me to rabbit on uncontrollably about
                        music without taking a blind bit of notice.

                        Andrew Benham
                        Email A.S.Benham@...
                        Tel.No. 0121 414 4126 (work)
                        Tel.No. 0121 414 0655 (home)
                      • Andy Benham
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                          On 3 Dec 2003 at 17:26, Chris Hill wrote:

                          > And that Ballboy album is worth the buy. Isn't the U.S. release a comp
                          > of various Ballboy EPs, plus some extras?

                          Thats the first album _ Club Anthems_. Since then _A guide to the
                          daylight hours_ has been released, including _Sex is boring_,_Avant
                          garde music_ and _I lost you but I found country music_. I think its
                          been released in the US. The latest _The sash my father wore_ is a
                          quieter more intimate affair, lacking in the WP style guitars, but no
                          worse for it. It also contains a rather good version of _Born in the
                          USA_.
                          I've seen ballboy twice over the last couple of weeks. The first an
                          emotional last gig for Katie (the keyboard player). Also on the bill
                          were Airport Girl and Bearsuit. Expect me to be raving about new
                          material from them in the near future.

                          > Too little impulse control, too much music.

                          Tell me about. I have 2' stack of cds to listen to at the moment.
                        • ahacksaw1
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                            <a.s.benham@b...> wrote:

                            > Thats a different reaction. Normally people just pat me on the
                            head,
                            > sit me down in a corner allow me to rabbit on uncontrollably
                            about
                            > music without taking a blind bit of notice.

                            Well, I hope you'll continue to rabbit on, even if your doing so
                            does cost me money. <g> But in the credit where credit is due
                            department, I should note that Chris Hill was (I think) the first
                            person to mention Downpilot here. I pay attention to his
                            recommendations too, and in this case, I think it was the
                            cumulative effect that prodded me to go and listen, and buy.
                          • Andy Benham
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                              On 4 Dec 2003 at 15:42, ahacksaw1 wrote:

                              > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Benham"
                              > <a.s.benham@b...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Thats a different reaction. Normally people just pat me on the
                              > head,
                              > > sit me down in a corner allow me to rabbit on uncontrollably
                              > about
                              > > music without taking a blind bit of notice.
                              > >
                              > Well, I hope you'll continue to rabbit on, even if your doing so
                              > does cost me money. <g> But in the credit where credit is due
                              > department, I should note that Chris Hill was (I think) the first
                              > person to mention Downpilot here. I pay attention to his
                              > recommendations too, and in this case, I think it was the
                              > cumulative effect that prodded me to go and listen, and buy.

                              Absolutely, and to prove the point also on my MOM order is a Texas
                              Instruments cd that I thought I'd give a go on the strength of talk
                              here. The fact it was only $5 also helped.Andrew Benham
                              Email A.S.Benham@...
                              Tel.No. 0121 414 4126 (work)
                              Tel.No. 0121 414 0655 (home)
                            • Stevo
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 5, 2003
                                --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
                                > "Lush Jazz Butcher" makes me think that old guitarist Max
                                (responsible for
                                > most of the jazzy parts of the mid-80s recordings) rejoined the
                                band at
                                > some point. Haven't heard anything....
                                >
                                > Carl Z.

                                Are Jazz Butcher highly regarded over here then?
                                Only things I remember about them are meeting them in Groningen when
                                I was at a gig headlined by Einsturzebde Neubauten and that the guy
                                who went on to play bass in Levitation then Dark Star was an ex-member
                                Stevo
                                Np Savage Republic Tragic Figures plus Mobilization
                              • Stevo
                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 5, 2003
                                  --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
                                  I wanna know the music you've enjoyed
                                  > this year.
                                  Not sure about what I bought this year from this year.

                                  Have been getting heavily into The Moodists tw fisted art over the
                                  last week. That actually came out end of last year and was recorded
                                  about 19 years earlier.
                                  I've been pretty retro this year UI nthink, currently discovering mid
                                  80s heavy guitar stuff as well as jazz, 60s psych, whatever folk etc.

                                  sudden;y got a credit card that I'm gonna have to destroy means I've
                                  got a lot of other stuff at hand's reach.

                                  Liked the Angels of Light cd and the Gira/Matz collaboration What We
                                  Did muchly.
                                  Finding out that I've got a new friend who's pretty partial to
                                  krautrock too.

                                  I reccommend Dublin's Tycho Brahe, but I think I've done that once
                                  recently.
                                  Alo a pretty raw mod band from Leeds UK called the Uptight
                                  and a local band called the Black mariahs who are pretty rock and
                                  roll, early 70s who/Jazz etc etc.
                                  Stevo
                                  Np Savage REpublic Tragic Figures plus Tragic Figure/Empty Quarter
                                • Chris Hill
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 5, 2003
                                    Stevo wrote:

                                    > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
                                    > > "Lush Jazz Butcher" makes me think that old guitarist Max
                                    > (responsible for
                                    > > most of the jazzy parts of the mid-80s recordings) rejoined the
                                    > band at
                                    > > some point. Haven't heard anything....
                                    > >
                                    > > Carl Z.
                                    >
                                    > Are Jazz Butcher highly regarded over here then?

                                    As far as US fans go, I think they're a well-kept secret, but on the
                                    indiepop list, a lot of people know and like them.

                                    Chris
                                    np: the Stills
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 6, 2003
                                      --On Friday, December 5, 2003 7:45 PM +0000 Stevo <Stuggy@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > Are Jazz Butcher highly regarded over here then?

                                      I'm quite partial to the _Bloody Nonsense_ comp Big Time put out in 1986.
                                      Wish it existed on CD.