Re: Re: [fearnwhiskey] 2003 favorites?

  • Chris Hill
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 2, 2003
      > np: Rich Hopkins & Luminarios, Ka-Ju-Tah

      Hey, Carl Z -

      You might be interested in this one - Steve Wynn guests on a track.
      Nothing remarkable, midtempo stomp-guitar rock (with a cowbell?),
      but if you're a completist...

      Chris
    • Andy Benham
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 2, 2003
        On 2 Dec 2003 at 5:25, Chris Hill wrote:

        > British Sea Power - The Decline of British Sea Power (did this come
        > out in '02 in the U.K.?, good live show)

        No, fairly certain it came out this year. Finally got to see them last
        Friday after several near misses, cancellations etc. And very good
        they were too. The lead singer reminded me of a cross between
        Brett Anderson and Jim Kerr.
        Incidentally the support were called The Killers, who apparently
        come from Las Vegas. Suffered from a Psychedelic Furs overdose
        to my ears. If I see one more post punk band in buttoned up black
        shirts and floppy fringes, well there'll be hell to pay.....

        > Downpilot - Leaving not Arriving (local band a lot of list folk
        > would dig, particularly any who've heard the Sanford Arms cd)

        Waiting for MOM to deliver this along with Two Cow Garage and The
        Shins
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 2, 2003
          --On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 5:25 AM -1100 Chris Hill <chillout@...>
          wrote:

          > Haven't seen the latest Pernice Brothers mentioned yet, which is
          > surprises me. Joe Pernice continues to put out quality stuff.

          I don't know why, but _Yours, Mine & Ours_ just didn't grab me. Maybe I
          had unrealistic expectations after loving _The World Won't End_, as the
          production and harmonies sound great. I never got into the songs...

          Chris then said
          >> np: Rich Hopkins & Luminarios, Ka-Ju-Tah
          >
          > Hey, Carl Z -
          >
          > You might be interested in this one - Steve Wynn guests on a track.
          > Nothing remarkable, midtempo stomp-guitar rock (with a cowbell?),
          > but if you're a completist...

          Y'know, I was about to ask what this was like when I saw your last post.
          Is Hopkins the guy who sometimes works with Barbara Manning?

          Carl Z.
        • Andy Benham
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
            On 30 Nov 2003 at 11:56, Carl Zimring wrote:

            Without having done much thought, 2003 seems like a real
            > strong year for new releases...
            >
            > Carl Z.

            Not too many UK releases mentioned so far. So here's 10 + 1 I've
            liked this year. So FWIW

            Mos Eisley - The get up set
            Reynolds - Love songs
            Alisdair Roberts - Farewell sorrow
            Pip Dylan - Of all the things I can eat....
            British Sea Power - The decline of.....
            Camera Obscura - Underachievers, please try harder
            Broken Family Band - Cold water songs
            Rock of Travolta - Uluru
            Wisdom of Harry - Torch division
            ballboy - The sash my father wore
            Elbow - Cast of thousands

            and close behind - RT, Zephyrs, Havenots, Peter Bruntnell, Jim
            Moray

            And to redress the balance 10 + 1 from USA

            Bonnie Prince Billy - Master and everyone
            Calla - Televise
            Calexico - Feast of wire
            Devics - The stars at Saint Andrea
            Califone - quicksand/cradlesnakes
            Noahjohn - Water hymns
            Willard Grant Conspiracy - Regard the end
            Gillian Welch - Soul journey
            The Decemberists - Castaways and cutouts
            My Morning Jacket - It still moves
            South San Gabriel - Welcome, convalescence

            and close behind - DBT, Steve Wynn, M.Ward, Faraway Places,
            Okkervil River, Josh Rouse, Explosions in the sky

            From elsewhere

            The sleepy jackson - Lovers
            Herman Dune - Mas Cambios
            Herman Dune - Mash concrete, metal mushroom

            And if I had to pick 2 from those I'd probably say Reynolds and
            South San Gabriel.

            Some reissues and comps.

            Trembling blue stars - A certain evening light
            V/A - Gone fishin, A Wichita compilation
            V/A - Rough Trade Shops, Post Punk 1
            V/A - Rough Trade Shops, Country 1
            Television - Marquee moon
            V/A - 25 Rough Trade, Stop me if you've heard this before

            And finally 5 shows amongst many

            Gillian Welch @ Irish Centre, Birmingham
            Gotan Project @ Summer Sundae, Leicester
            Richard Buckner @ Ceol Castle, Birmingham
            My Morning Jacket/South San Gabriel @ Rescue Rooms,
            Nottingham
            Soul Brothers @ MAC Arena, Birmingham

            and finally, finally the worst 30 quid I've ever spent

            Bob Dylan @ NEC Arena, Birmingham

            Andy
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
              I like it when Andy posts what he's listening to, because he never fails to
              mention stuff I've never heard of, much less heard!

              Carl Z.

              --On Wednesday, December 3, 2003 2:32 PM +0000 Andy Benham
              <a.s.benham@...> wrote:

              > From elsewhere
              >
              > The sleepy jackson - Lovers
              > Herman Dune - Mas Cambios
              > Herman Dune - Mash concrete, metal mushroom
            • ahacksaw1
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
                --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring
                <cz28@a...> wrote:
                > I like it when Andy posts what he's listening to, because he
                never fails to
                > mention stuff I've never heard of, much less heard!

                Andy is bad for my wallet, though good for my eardrums. Fresh
                from purchasing a ballboy CD, largely on his recommendation, I
                decided to give Downpilot a listen. Mmm...dreamy and downbeat
                and intricate, just my sort of thing. I'll be ordering it momentarily,
                thanking and cursing Andy simultaneously as I do so.
              • Lisa
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
                  --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Benham" <a.s.benham@b...>
                  wrote:
                  >> Some reissues and comps.

                  > Trembling blue stars - A certain evening light

                  I love reading Andy's lists. If I ever have any extra money (yeah
                  right), I am going to buy Ballboy. I really like what I have heard.

                  I found the Trembling Blue Stars "Broken by Whispers" in the $2 bin
                  at a used record store and I love it. What other ones are good?

                  Did you like South's new one, Andy? Another one that I really liked
                  but it may be too Britpop for you <g>

                  Lisa, way too busy today
                • Chris Hill
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
                    Lisa wrote:

                    > I found the Trembling Blue Stars "Broken by Whispers" in the $2 bin
                    > at a used record store and I love it. What other ones are good?

                    _Alive to Every Smile_, the last studio disc was an '01 fave. "Haunted
                    Days", "St. Paul's Cathedral At Night", "The Ghost of an Unkissed Kiss" -
                    all stellar. Before that, bearing in mind I'm not an uber-fan, the TBS
                    albums and the Field Mice albums (TFM begat TBS) blend together in
                    my head. I'm sure early fans could point out the differences.

                    And that Ballboy album is worth the buy. Isn't the U.S. release a comp
                    of various Ballboy EPs, plus some extras? Anyhow, it's very pleasant.
                    Used "A Europewide Search of Love" on my year-end songs comp - not
                    representative of the whole, like a lush Jazz Butcher track. The album
                    as a whole strikes me like JB vs. Snow Patrol. Haven't bought their new
                    one yet, but I will.

                    Too little impulse control, too much music. Ordered the new Aluminum
                    Group today, only available through the label prior to its Jan '04 release.
                    Nice to have those bands one'll buy unheard.

                    Chris
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                      --On Wednesday, December 3, 2003 5:26 PM -0800 Chris Hill
                      <chillout@...> wrote:

                      > And that Ballboy album is worth the buy. Isn't the U.S. release a comp
                      > of various Ballboy EPs, plus some extras? Anyhow, it's very pleasant.
                      > Used "A Europewide Search of Love" on my year-end songs comp - not
                      > representative of the whole, like a lush Jazz Butcher track.

                      "Lush Jazz Butcher" makes me think that old guitarist Max (responsible for
                      most of the jazzy parts of the mid-80s recordings) rejoined the band at
                      some point. Haven't heard anything....

                      Carl Z.
                    • Andy Benham
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                        On 4 Dec 2003 at 0:12, Lisa wrote:

                        > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Benham" <a.s.benham@b...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >> Some reissues and comps.
                        >

                        > > Trembling blue stars - A certain evening light
                        >

                        > I love reading Andy's lists. If I ever have any extra money (yeah
                        > right), I am going to buy Ballboy. I really like what I have heard.
                        >
                        > I found the Trembling Blue Stars "Broken by Whispers" in the $2 bin
                        > at a used record store and I love it. What other ones are good?

                        Chris's suggestion is about right. The cd I mentioned is a comp. of
                        lots of early singles, b sides etc

                        > Did you like South's new one, Andy? Another one that I really liked
                        > but it may be too Britpop for you <g>

                        Can't say I've heard them. Will keep my ears peeled.

                        Andy
                      • Andy Benham
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                          On 3 Dec 2003 at 23:05, ahacksaw1 wrote:

                          > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring
                          > <cz28@a...> wrote:
                          > > I like it when Andy posts what he's listening to, because he
                          > never fails to
                          > > mention stuff I've never heard of, much less heard!
                          > >
                          > Andy is bad for my wallet, though good for my eardrums. Fresh
                          > from purchasing a ballboy CD, largely on his recommendation, I
                          > decided to give Downpilot a listen. Mmm...dreamy and downbeat
                          > and intricate, just my sort of thing. I'll be ordering it momentarily,
                          > thanking and cursing Andy simultaneously as I do so.

                          Thats a different reaction. Normally people just pat me on the head,
                          sit me down in a corner allow me to rabbit on uncontrollably about
                          music without taking a blind bit of notice.

                          Andrew Benham
                          Email A.S.Benham@...
                          Tel.No. 0121 414 4126 (work)
                          Tel.No. 0121 414 0655 (home)
                        • Andy Benham
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                            On 3 Dec 2003 at 17:26, Chris Hill wrote:

                            > And that Ballboy album is worth the buy. Isn't the U.S. release a comp
                            > of various Ballboy EPs, plus some extras?

                            Thats the first album _ Club Anthems_. Since then _A guide to the
                            daylight hours_ has been released, including _Sex is boring_,_Avant
                            garde music_ and _I lost you but I found country music_. I think its
                            been released in the US. The latest _The sash my father wore_ is a
                            quieter more intimate affair, lacking in the WP style guitars, but no
                            worse for it. It also contains a rather good version of _Born in the
                            USA_.
                            I've seen ballboy twice over the last couple of weeks. The first an
                            emotional last gig for Katie (the keyboard player). Also on the bill
                            were Airport Girl and Bearsuit. Expect me to be raving about new
                            material from them in the near future.

                            > Too little impulse control, too much music.

                            Tell me about. I have 2' stack of cds to listen to at the moment.
                          • ahacksaw1
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                              <a.s.benham@b...> wrote:

                              > Thats a different reaction. Normally people just pat me on the
                              head,
                              > sit me down in a corner allow me to rabbit on uncontrollably
                              about
                              > music without taking a blind bit of notice.

                              Well, I hope you'll continue to rabbit on, even if your doing so
                              does cost me money. <g> But in the credit where credit is due
                              department, I should note that Chris Hill was (I think) the first
                              person to mention Downpilot here. I pay attention to his
                              recommendations too, and in this case, I think it was the
                              cumulative effect that prodded me to go and listen, and buy.
                            • Andy Benham
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                                On 4 Dec 2003 at 15:42, ahacksaw1 wrote:

                                > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Benham"
                                > <a.s.benham@b...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Thats a different reaction. Normally people just pat me on the
                                > head,
                                > > sit me down in a corner allow me to rabbit on uncontrollably
                                > about
                                > > music without taking a blind bit of notice.
                                > >
                                > Well, I hope you'll continue to rabbit on, even if your doing so
                                > does cost me money. <g> But in the credit where credit is due
                                > department, I should note that Chris Hill was (I think) the first
                                > person to mention Downpilot here. I pay attention to his
                                > recommendations too, and in this case, I think it was the
                                > cumulative effect that prodded me to go and listen, and buy.

                                Absolutely, and to prove the point also on my MOM order is a Texas
                                Instruments cd that I thought I'd give a go on the strength of talk
                                here. The fact it was only $5 also helped.Andrew Benham
                                Email A.S.Benham@...
                                Tel.No. 0121 414 4126 (work)
                                Tel.No. 0121 414 0655 (home)
                              • Stevo
                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 5, 2003
                                  --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
                                  > "Lush Jazz Butcher" makes me think that old guitarist Max
                                  (responsible for
                                  > most of the jazzy parts of the mid-80s recordings) rejoined the
                                  band at
                                  > some point. Haven't heard anything....
                                  >
                                  > Carl Z.

                                  Are Jazz Butcher highly regarded over here then?
                                  Only things I remember about them are meeting them in Groningen when
                                  I was at a gig headlined by Einsturzebde Neubauten and that the guy
                                  who went on to play bass in Levitation then Dark Star was an ex-member
                                  Stevo
                                  Np Savage Republic Tragic Figures plus Mobilization
                                • Stevo
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 5, 2003
                                    --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
                                    I wanna know the music you've enjoyed
                                    > this year.
                                    Not sure about what I bought this year from this year.

                                    Have been getting heavily into The Moodists tw fisted art over the
                                    last week. That actually came out end of last year and was recorded
                                    about 19 years earlier.
                                    I've been pretty retro this year UI nthink, currently discovering mid
                                    80s heavy guitar stuff as well as jazz, 60s psych, whatever folk etc.

                                    sudden;y got a credit card that I'm gonna have to destroy means I've
                                    got a lot of other stuff at hand's reach.

                                    Liked the Angels of Light cd and the Gira/Matz collaboration What We
                                    Did muchly.
                                    Finding out that I've got a new friend who's pretty partial to
                                    krautrock too.

                                    I reccommend Dublin's Tycho Brahe, but I think I've done that once
                                    recently.
                                    Alo a pretty raw mod band from Leeds UK called the Uptight
                                    and a local band called the Black mariahs who are pretty rock and
                                    roll, early 70s who/Jazz etc etc.
                                    Stevo
                                    Np Savage REpublic Tragic Figures plus Tragic Figure/Empty Quarter
                                  • Chris Hill
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 5, 2003
                                      Stevo wrote:

                                      > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
                                      > > "Lush Jazz Butcher" makes me think that old guitarist Max
                                      > (responsible for
                                      > > most of the jazzy parts of the mid-80s recordings) rejoined the
                                      > band at
                                      > > some point. Haven't heard anything....
                                      > >
                                      > > Carl Z.
                                      >
                                      > Are Jazz Butcher highly regarded over here then?

                                      As far as US fans go, I think they're a well-kept secret, but on the
                                      indiepop list, a lot of people know and like them.

                                      Chris
                                      np: the Stills
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 6, 2003
                                        --On Friday, December 5, 2003 7:45 PM +0000 Stevo <Stuggy@...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > Are Jazz Butcher highly regarded over here then?

                                        I'm quite partial to the _Bloody Nonsense_ comp Big Time put out in 1986.
                                        Wish it existed on CD.