Re: 2003 favorites

  • samchecker
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
      I don't do lists, but 2003 was one heck of a year for fun pop records.
      The New Pornographers' Electric Version, Electric Six's Fire,
      Fountains of Wayne's Welcome Interstate Managers, and one I'm
      particularly digging now, Junior Senior's D-D-Don't Stop the Beat.
      Damn, that last one is a candy-coated blast...

      Mark W., who wishes he had great big bags of dynamite
    • Lisa
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
        I'm not doing anymore lists but other stuff that I liked too

        Cat Power: You are Free
        The Kills: Keep on Your Mean Side
        Radiohead: Hail to the Thief

        and 2 local Seattle bands

        Pretty Girls Make Graves-The New Romance
        These Arms are Snakes : This Is Meant to Hurt You
        (dumb name, kickass band, sorta like And You Will Know Them..
        blablalbla) meets another local band Juno. They need to play with
        the lights on next time I see them <grin>

        The new Dwight Yoakum sounds pretty good too but I'm far from an
        expert on him.

        Lisa
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
          --On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 4:08 PM +0000 samchecker
          <mwyatt@...> wrote:

          > I don't do lists, but 2003 was one heck of a year for fun pop records.
          > The New Pornographers' Electric Version, Electric Six's Fire,
          > Fountains of Wayne's Welcome Interstate Managers, and one I'm
          > particularly digging now, Junior Senior's D-D-Don't Stop the Beat.
          > Damn, that last one is a candy-coated blast...

          I'd add the Long Winters and Lookyloos discs to the list of fun pop records
          -- Lookyloos are especially good if you like Chills-style Kiwi-pop (as I
          do).

          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
            --On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 4:53 PM +0000 Lisa <lmerlin01@...>
            wrote:

            > The new Dwight Yoakum sounds pretty good too but I'm far from an
            > expert on him.

            I've only heard a couple of songs on the digital Americana station, but it
            sounds like he's still putting out first-rate heartbreak music.

            Carl Z.
          • ahacksaw1
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
              --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring
              <cz28@a...> wrote:

              > I've only heard a couple of songs on the digital Americana
              station, but it
              > sounds like he's still putting out first-rate heartbreak music.

              The other Dwight fan in my house and I disagree on this, but I
              think "Population Me" is a very fine album, and one of Dwight's
              more consistent efforts in a while. My only complaint about
              it--and this is a complaint that I rarely make about any record
              these days--is that it's a little on the short side, with just 10
              songs (all of 'em fairly short and snappy, too). But it still
              manages to range from ballads to Buck-influenced twang to
              honky tonk; the usual spectrum of Dwightness, in short. It'll be in
              my top 10 for sure.
            • Perfect Sound Forever
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing nothing for
                me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of people
                whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet. Same
                with Shins though less so. For the life of me, I can't figure out what
                either of them do that say, Pernice Brothers and the New Pornographers
                don't do much better.

                Off the top of my head, some of the best 2003 stuff I've heard is Bettie
                Serveert, Crooked Fingers, Busdriver, Gina Villalobos, Outkast, Todd
                Snider, Snow Patrol, Sole, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, the Swaggerts, Basement Jaxx,
                Jon Langford, Pink, Ruby on the Vine, Warren Zevon, Daughter, Rufus
                Wainwright, 'Johnny's Blues- A Tribute to Johnny Cash' and Lucinda
                Williams. Oh and the Pernice Bros and the New Pornographers... Loved
                White Stripes and Radiohead at first but I'm not so sure now.

                Any thoughts on the Johnny Cash box set?

                Best,
                Jason
              • Catherine Lewis
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                  On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Perfect Sound Forever wrote:
                  > I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing nothing for
                  > me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of people
                  > whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet.

                  I saw them a few weeks ago and felt the same way. I thought the record was OK -- although I haven't listened to it recently, so maybe that says something -- and the show was good for their ridiculous amount of energy, but after a while, the songs all started sounding exactly the same and I gave up and left. Maybe if I was more familiar with their work, it would've meant more to me, but I guess that's like saying I would've enjoyed "Russian Ark" if I knew more about Russian history -- the statement may be true, but I am not at all motivated to go seek out the required information.

                  However (warning: shameless self-promotion ahead) they did photograph pretty well, despite the wretched lighting situation and my hatred for color film:
                  http://www.autumnshades.com/photos/wrens_20031109/16.jpg

                  Catherine.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                    --On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 2:40 PM -0500 Perfect Sound Forever
                    <perfectlist@...> wrote:

                    > Any thoughts on the Johnny Cash box set?

                    My thought is that it would be an excellent gift for someone to give me.
                    On paper, it sounds wonderful.

                    Carl Z.
                  • Lisa
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                      --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Catherine Lewis <cplewis@i...>
                      wrote:
                      > On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Perfect Sound Forever wrote:
                      > > I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing
                      nothing for
                      > > me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of
                      people
                      > > whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet.

                      That's cool. It's hard to describe why music affects you, positively
                      or negatively. I guess with the Wrens, for me personally, the record
                      makes me really sad(and in a good way if that makes any sense). The
                      whole record from start to finish is about a breakup that the lead
                      singer did not want to happen. I like his voice although I really
                      had to listen to it on head phones a few times before I fell in love
                      with it. He writes some damn good lyrics and the fact that they are
                      all in my age bracket, 35-40, is cool.

                      "..I can't type, I can't temp, and I'm way past college"

                      Lisa
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 3, 2003
                        Here's a review of the box, from this week's Onion.

                        Carl Z.

                        ***

                        Johnny Cash
                        Cash Unearthed (Buy It!)
                        (American/Lost Highway)
                        Cash Unearthed Johnny Cash's massively important and prolific career had
                        its fertile and fallow periods, but few expected a major peak in 1994,
                        after years of forgettable albums, cultural invisibility, and poor sales.
                        Fewer still expected a resurgence under the guidance of Rick Rubin, the
                        producer best known for his legendary work in rap and heavy metal. But
                        Rubin's initial vision for Cash?sitting him down with an esoteric
                        assortment of source material and recording the singer's bare-bones
                        interpretations?helped spark a career renewal that continued through Cash's
                        death in September. American Recordings, the first fruit of their
                        collaborations, ranks among Cash's best work, as well as the greatest
                        albums of the '90s. And while the singer's subsequent three records for the
                        American label produced slowly diminishing returns as his voice
                        deteriorated and the song selection grew more iffy, Cash and Rubin's many
                        sessions produced an abundance of enduring classics. Amazingly, Cash
                        recorded dozens of songs between May (after the death of his wife, the
                        incomparable June Carter Cash) and his death on Sept. 12, and he had just
                        finished contributing liner notes for an exhaustive and lavishly packaged
                        treasure chest of outtakes from the American era. Not counting a pointless
                        greatest-hits disc spanning his last four albums, Cash Unearthed compiles
                        64 unreleased tracks on four individually titled discs: Who's Gonna Cry
                        (some of which has been heard on the indispensable American Outtakes
                        bootleg), Trouble In Mind (like 1996's Unchained, recorded with Tom Petty &
                        The Heartbreakers, among others), Redemption Songs (a set of covers
                        featuring guests such as Fiona Apple, Nick Cave, and the late Joe
                        Strummer), and My Mother's Hymn Book (an assortment of stripped-down
                        religious songs Cash hailed as his own best work). Though it represented
                        the culmination of a lifelong dream for Cash, My Mother's Hymn Book is the
                        least compelling of the four new albums, largely because its
                        warm-but-straightforward spirituals are accompanied by little of the
                        conflict or contemplation inherent in his best religious material. But the
                        other three, while marred by the occasional misstep, run in varying shades
                        of incredible. Who's Gonna Cry serves as a natural companion piece to
                        1994's American Recordings, presenting a riveting, near-perfect collection
                        of acoustic meditations on life, death, love, and murder. (The set draws
                        its title from the chilling "The Caretaker," a hair-raising ballad which
                        poses the question, "Who's gonna cry when old John dies?") Trouble In Mind
                        similarly reflects its counterpart: Though it brings to mind Unchained's
                        spirited performances and outstanding peaks, it also has the misfortune of
                        following a disc with more intensity and heft. It does, however, feature
                        the most moving moment on Cash Unearthed. "As Long As The Grass Shall
                        Grow," performed with June Carter Cash, encapsulates both singers'
                        brilliance and love for each other in an appropriately timeless tearjerker.
                        Redemption Songs doles out some classics of its own, with its most notable
                        track pairing Cash with The Clash, as Joe Strummer joins in on a moving
                        cover of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song." Not content to merely fill some
                        gaps in Cash's recent catalog, Cash Unearthed provides an essential tour
                        through the final years of a towering career. Fittingly, that life's work
                        closes on an extended highpoint worthy of the brilliant work that made Cash
                        an eternal icon. ?Stephen Thompson
                      • Mock the DJ
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 3, 2003
                          Someone wrote:
                          > > > I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing
                          >nothing for
                          > > > me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of
                          >people
                          > > > whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet.

                          Lisa replied:
                          >That's cool. It's hard to describe why music affects you, positively
                          >or negatively. I guess with the Wrens, for me personally, the record
                          >makes me really sad(and in a good way if that makes any sense). The
                          >whole record from start to finish is about a breakup that the lead
                          >singer did not want to happen. I like his voice although I really
                          >had to listen to it on head phones a few times before I fell in love
                          >with it. He writes some damn good lyrics and the fact that they are
                          >all in my age bracket, 35-40, is cool.
                          >Lisa

                          The Wrens have always fallen in that "Archers of Loaf" slanted indie-rock
                          category for me.
                          The disc of theirs that I would really recommend is their 1996 release,
                          "Secaucus"
                          (Sadly enough) you can usually find it used at a decent price.

                          Paul

                          np: Smoking Popes - Live

                          Tired of slow downloads and busy signals? Get a high-speed Internet
                          connection! Comparison-shop your local high-speed providers here.
                          https://broadband.msn.com