Re: [fearnwhiskey] Re: 2003 favorites

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
      > 09 her majesty, the decemberists - decemberists

      Castaways and Cutouts was released by Kill Rock Stars this year so
      can I include it? Huh? Huh? I think it's far better than Her
      Majesty. "Grace Cathedral Hill". Sigh. A big thanks to the fabulous
      Steve Gardener for turning me onto them and knowing I would love
      them.
      ==
      Aw, shucks. *kicks dirt with hands in pockets and head looking down*

      As far as Castaways and Cutouts go, heck yeah I'm including it on mine. The
      new album is good, but I think C&C is much much better. And it only came out
      on Hush Records in 2002...most of the rest of the non-Portland world
      probably heard it first this year when it was released by Kill Rock Stars. I
      think that's fair enough. I'll probably include Kathleen Edwards on my list
      somewhere too (high) and that's another that was available last year if you
      were hip...but I am not. Just wonderful.

      Thanks. I'll be signing autographs after the show.

      *bow*

      steve
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
        --On Monday, December 1, 2003 1:28 PM -0800 andrew sandley
        <sighrik@...> wrote a list that included quite a few titles that will
        pop up on mine, including:

        > 17 the jerks win again - karl hendricks trio

        Glad to see this mentioned, as I haven't heard a lot of people talking
        about it yet. He hasn't lost his touch after the long period of quiet; I
        hope there's another new disc before five years pass...

        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
          --On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 12:35 AM +0000 Lisa <lmerlin01@...>
          wrote:

          >> 09 her majesty, the decemberists - decemberists
          >
          > Castaways and Cutouts was released by Kill Rock Stars this year so
          > can I include it? Huh? Huh?

          Since there are no rules, sure. I've already learned about a few discs I'm
          curious about hearing, so use whatever criteria you wish.

          Carl Z.
          realizing this thread could be bad for my wallet
        • Steve Gardner
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
            Carl Z.
            realizing this thread could be bad for my wallet
            ==

            When I first read that I thought you said "this thread could be bad for my
            mullet". Heh.

            steve
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
              --On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 10:16 AM -0500 Steve Gardner
              <steve@...> wrote:

              > When I first read that I thought you said "this thread could be bad for my
              > mullet". Heh.

              Do any of the record-store clerks lurking here take hair as trade for new
              CDs?

              mulling,
              Carl Z.
            • samchecker
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                I don't do lists, but 2003 was one heck of a year for fun pop records.
                The New Pornographers' Electric Version, Electric Six's Fire,
                Fountains of Wayne's Welcome Interstate Managers, and one I'm
                particularly digging now, Junior Senior's D-D-Don't Stop the Beat.
                Damn, that last one is a candy-coated blast...

                Mark W., who wishes he had great big bags of dynamite
              • Lisa
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                  I'm not doing anymore lists but other stuff that I liked too

                  Cat Power: You are Free
                  The Kills: Keep on Your Mean Side
                  Radiohead: Hail to the Thief

                  and 2 local Seattle bands

                  Pretty Girls Make Graves-The New Romance
                  These Arms are Snakes : This Is Meant to Hurt You
                  (dumb name, kickass band, sorta like And You Will Know Them..
                  blablalbla) meets another local band Juno. They need to play with
                  the lights on next time I see them <grin>

                  The new Dwight Yoakum sounds pretty good too but I'm far from an
                  expert on him.

                  Lisa
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                    --On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 4:08 PM +0000 samchecker
                    <mwyatt@...> wrote:

                    > I don't do lists, but 2003 was one heck of a year for fun pop records.
                    > The New Pornographers' Electric Version, Electric Six's Fire,
                    > Fountains of Wayne's Welcome Interstate Managers, and one I'm
                    > particularly digging now, Junior Senior's D-D-Don't Stop the Beat.
                    > Damn, that last one is a candy-coated blast...

                    I'd add the Long Winters and Lookyloos discs to the list of fun pop records
                    -- Lookyloos are especially good if you like Chills-style Kiwi-pop (as I
                    do).

                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                      --On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 4:53 PM +0000 Lisa <lmerlin01@...>
                      wrote:

                      > The new Dwight Yoakum sounds pretty good too but I'm far from an
                      > expert on him.

                      I've only heard a couple of songs on the digital Americana station, but it
                      sounds like he's still putting out first-rate heartbreak music.

                      Carl Z.
                    • ahacksaw1
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                        --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring
                        <cz28@a...> wrote:

                        > I've only heard a couple of songs on the digital Americana
                        station, but it
                        > sounds like he's still putting out first-rate heartbreak music.

                        The other Dwight fan in my house and I disagree on this, but I
                        think "Population Me" is a very fine album, and one of Dwight's
                        more consistent efforts in a while. My only complaint about
                        it--and this is a complaint that I rarely make about any record
                        these days--is that it's a little on the short side, with just 10
                        songs (all of 'em fairly short and snappy, too). But it still
                        manages to range from ballads to Buck-influenced twang to
                        honky tonk; the usual spectrum of Dwightness, in short. It'll be in
                        my top 10 for sure.
                      • Perfect Sound Forever
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                          I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing nothing for
                          me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of people
                          whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet. Same
                          with Shins though less so. For the life of me, I can't figure out what
                          either of them do that say, Pernice Brothers and the New Pornographers
                          don't do much better.

                          Off the top of my head, some of the best 2003 stuff I've heard is Bettie
                          Serveert, Crooked Fingers, Busdriver, Gina Villalobos, Outkast, Todd
                          Snider, Snow Patrol, Sole, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, the Swaggerts, Basement Jaxx,
                          Jon Langford, Pink, Ruby on the Vine, Warren Zevon, Daughter, Rufus
                          Wainwright, 'Johnny's Blues- A Tribute to Johnny Cash' and Lucinda
                          Williams. Oh and the Pernice Bros and the New Pornographers... Loved
                          White Stripes and Radiohead at first but I'm not so sure now.

                          Any thoughts on the Johnny Cash box set?

                          Best,
                          Jason
                        • Catherine Lewis
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                            On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Perfect Sound Forever wrote:
                            > I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing nothing for
                            > me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of people
                            > whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet.

                            I saw them a few weeks ago and felt the same way. I thought the record was OK -- although I haven't listened to it recently, so maybe that says something -- and the show was good for their ridiculous amount of energy, but after a while, the songs all started sounding exactly the same and I gave up and left. Maybe if I was more familiar with their work, it would've meant more to me, but I guess that's like saying I would've enjoyed "Russian Ark" if I knew more about Russian history -- the statement may be true, but I am not at all motivated to go seek out the required information.

                            However (warning: shameless self-promotion ahead) they did photograph pretty well, despite the wretched lighting situation and my hatred for color film:
                            http://www.autumnshades.com/photos/wrens_20031109/16.jpg

                            Catherine.
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                              --On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 2:40 PM -0500 Perfect Sound Forever
                              <perfectlist@...> wrote:

                              > Any thoughts on the Johnny Cash box set?

                              My thought is that it would be an excellent gift for someone to give me.
                              On paper, it sounds wonderful.

                              Carl Z.
                            • Lisa
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                                --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Catherine Lewis <cplewis@i...>
                                wrote:
                                > On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Perfect Sound Forever wrote:
                                > > I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing
                                nothing for
                                > > me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of
                                people
                                > > whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet.

                                That's cool. It's hard to describe why music affects you, positively
                                or negatively. I guess with the Wrens, for me personally, the record
                                makes me really sad(and in a good way if that makes any sense). The
                                whole record from start to finish is about a breakup that the lead
                                singer did not want to happen. I like his voice although I really
                                had to listen to it on head phones a few times before I fell in love
                                with it. He writes some damn good lyrics and the fact that they are
                                all in my age bracket, 35-40, is cool.

                                "..I can't type, I can't temp, and I'm way past college"

                                Lisa
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 3, 2003
                                  Here's a review of the box, from this week's Onion.

                                  Carl Z.

                                  ***

                                  Johnny Cash
                                  Cash Unearthed (Buy It!)
                                  (American/Lost Highway)
                                  Cash Unearthed Johnny Cash's massively important and prolific career had
                                  its fertile and fallow periods, but few expected a major peak in 1994,
                                  after years of forgettable albums, cultural invisibility, and poor sales.
                                  Fewer still expected a resurgence under the guidance of Rick Rubin, the
                                  producer best known for his legendary work in rap and heavy metal. But
                                  Rubin's initial vision for Cash?sitting him down with an esoteric
                                  assortment of source material and recording the singer's bare-bones
                                  interpretations?helped spark a career renewal that continued through Cash's
                                  death in September. American Recordings, the first fruit of their
                                  collaborations, ranks among Cash's best work, as well as the greatest
                                  albums of the '90s. And while the singer's subsequent three records for the
                                  American label produced slowly diminishing returns as his voice
                                  deteriorated and the song selection grew more iffy, Cash and Rubin's many
                                  sessions produced an abundance of enduring classics. Amazingly, Cash
                                  recorded dozens of songs between May (after the death of his wife, the
                                  incomparable June Carter Cash) and his death on Sept. 12, and he had just
                                  finished contributing liner notes for an exhaustive and lavishly packaged
                                  treasure chest of outtakes from the American era. Not counting a pointless
                                  greatest-hits disc spanning his last four albums, Cash Unearthed compiles
                                  64 unreleased tracks on four individually titled discs: Who's Gonna Cry
                                  (some of which has been heard on the indispensable American Outtakes
                                  bootleg), Trouble In Mind (like 1996's Unchained, recorded with Tom Petty &
                                  The Heartbreakers, among others), Redemption Songs (a set of covers
                                  featuring guests such as Fiona Apple, Nick Cave, and the late Joe
                                  Strummer), and My Mother's Hymn Book (an assortment of stripped-down
                                  religious songs Cash hailed as his own best work). Though it represented
                                  the culmination of a lifelong dream for Cash, My Mother's Hymn Book is the
                                  least compelling of the four new albums, largely because its
                                  warm-but-straightforward spirituals are accompanied by little of the
                                  conflict or contemplation inherent in his best religious material. But the
                                  other three, while marred by the occasional misstep, run in varying shades
                                  of incredible. Who's Gonna Cry serves as a natural companion piece to
                                  1994's American Recordings, presenting a riveting, near-perfect collection
                                  of acoustic meditations on life, death, love, and murder. (The set draws
                                  its title from the chilling "The Caretaker," a hair-raising ballad which
                                  poses the question, "Who's gonna cry when old John dies?") Trouble In Mind
                                  similarly reflects its counterpart: Though it brings to mind Unchained's
                                  spirited performances and outstanding peaks, it also has the misfortune of
                                  following a disc with more intensity and heft. It does, however, feature
                                  the most moving moment on Cash Unearthed. "As Long As The Grass Shall
                                  Grow," performed with June Carter Cash, encapsulates both singers'
                                  brilliance and love for each other in an appropriately timeless tearjerker.
                                  Redemption Songs doles out some classics of its own, with its most notable
                                  track pairing Cash with The Clash, as Joe Strummer joins in on a moving
                                  cover of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song." Not content to merely fill some
                                  gaps in Cash's recent catalog, Cash Unearthed provides an essential tour
                                  through the final years of a towering career. Fittingly, that life's work
                                  closes on an extended highpoint worthy of the brilliant work that made Cash
                                  an eternal icon. ?Stephen Thompson
                                • Mock the DJ
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 3, 2003
                                    Someone wrote:
                                    > > > I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing
                                    >nothing for
                                    > > > me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of
                                    >people
                                    > > > whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet.

                                    Lisa replied:
                                    >That's cool. It's hard to describe why music affects you, positively
                                    >or negatively. I guess with the Wrens, for me personally, the record
                                    >makes me really sad(and in a good way if that makes any sense). The
                                    >whole record from start to finish is about a breakup that the lead
                                    >singer did not want to happen. I like his voice although I really
                                    >had to listen to it on head phones a few times before I fell in love
                                    >with it. He writes some damn good lyrics and the fact that they are
                                    >all in my age bracket, 35-40, is cool.
                                    >Lisa

                                    The Wrens have always fallen in that "Archers of Loaf" slanted indie-rock
                                    category for me.
                                    The disc of theirs that I would really recommend is their 1996 release,
                                    "Secaucus"
                                    (Sadly enough) you can usually find it used at a decent price.

                                    Paul

                                    np: Smoking Popes - Live

                                    Tired of slow downloads and busy signals? Get a high-speed Internet
                                    connection! Comparison-shop your local high-speed providers here.
                                    https://broadband.msn.com