Re: 2003 favorites

  • andrew sandley
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2003
      here's a few, ignoring eps, with a whole bunch of stuff out
      there i still need to hear or digest (new porn, sleepy
      jackson, quails, ted leo, grand champeen, shins, etc etc):

      01 shine a light - constantines
      02 that much further west - lucero
      03 magnolia electric co - songs:ohia
      04 feast of wire - calexico
      05 it still moves - my morning jacket
      06 when i pretend to fall - long winters
      07 speakerboxxx/love below - outkast
      08 meadowlands - wrens
      09 her majesty, the decemberists - decemberists
      10 black album - jay-z
      11 guitar romantic - exploding hearts
      12 still looking good to me - band of blacky ranchette
      13 where shall you take me - damien jurado
      14 boy in da corner - dizzee rascal
      15 run to you - nina nastasia
      16 sumday - grandaddy
      17 the jerks win again - karl hendricks trio
      18 terroir blues - jay farrar
      19 you are free - cat power
      20 a promise - xiu xiu

      andrew

      --- Carl Zimring <cz28@...> wrote:
      > The shock of realizing that I need to do some
      > gift-shopping pretty damn soon reminds me that the year
      > is coming to an end. Since I'm a list-making kind of guy
      > (cue Nick Hornby jokes), I wanna know the music you've
      > enjoyed this year. It doesn't have to be in list form,
    • Lisa
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 2003
        nice list, Andrew

        > 08 meadowlands - wrens

        I haven't gotten around to doing a top ten but this cd would be my
        #1 if I ever do one. "She Sends Kisses" and "Boys You Won't" kill
        me. I think I've hit replay on those songs alone a million times.
        Phew.

        > 09 her majesty, the decemberists - decemberists

        Castaways and Cutouts was released by Kill Rock Stars this year so
        can I include it? Huh? Huh? I think it's far better than Her
        Majesty. "Grace Cathedral Hill". Sigh. A big thanks to the fabulous
        Steve Gardener for turning me onto them and knowing I would love
        them. Can't wait to see them again here in Seattle next month.

        Lisa
      • Steve Gardner
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
          > 09 her majesty, the decemberists - decemberists

          Castaways and Cutouts was released by Kill Rock Stars this year so
          can I include it? Huh? Huh? I think it's far better than Her
          Majesty. "Grace Cathedral Hill". Sigh. A big thanks to the fabulous
          Steve Gardener for turning me onto them and knowing I would love
          them.
          ==
          Aw, shucks. *kicks dirt with hands in pockets and head looking down*

          As far as Castaways and Cutouts go, heck yeah I'm including it on mine. The
          new album is good, but I think C&C is much much better. And it only came out
          on Hush Records in 2002...most of the rest of the non-Portland world
          probably heard it first this year when it was released by Kill Rock Stars. I
          think that's fair enough. I'll probably include Kathleen Edwards on my list
          somewhere too (high) and that's another that was available last year if you
          were hip...but I am not. Just wonderful.

          Thanks. I'll be signing autographs after the show.

          *bow*

          steve
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
            --On Monday, December 1, 2003 1:28 PM -0800 andrew sandley
            <sighrik@...> wrote a list that included quite a few titles that will
            pop up on mine, including:

            > 17 the jerks win again - karl hendricks trio

            Glad to see this mentioned, as I haven't heard a lot of people talking
            about it yet. He hasn't lost his touch after the long period of quiet; I
            hope there's another new disc before five years pass...

            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
              --On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 12:35 AM +0000 Lisa <lmerlin01@...>
              wrote:

              >> 09 her majesty, the decemberists - decemberists
              >
              > Castaways and Cutouts was released by Kill Rock Stars this year so
              > can I include it? Huh? Huh?

              Since there are no rules, sure. I've already learned about a few discs I'm
              curious about hearing, so use whatever criteria you wish.

              Carl Z.
              realizing this thread could be bad for my wallet
            • Steve Gardner
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                Carl Z.
                realizing this thread could be bad for my wallet
                ==

                When I first read that I thought you said "this thread could be bad for my
                mullet". Heh.

                steve
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                  --On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 10:16 AM -0500 Steve Gardner
                  <steve@...> wrote:

                  > When I first read that I thought you said "this thread could be bad for my
                  > mullet". Heh.

                  Do any of the record-store clerks lurking here take hair as trade for new
                  CDs?

                  mulling,
                  Carl Z.
                • samchecker
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                    I don't do lists, but 2003 was one heck of a year for fun pop records.
                    The New Pornographers' Electric Version, Electric Six's Fire,
                    Fountains of Wayne's Welcome Interstate Managers, and one I'm
                    particularly digging now, Junior Senior's D-D-Don't Stop the Beat.
                    Damn, that last one is a candy-coated blast...

                    Mark W., who wishes he had great big bags of dynamite
                  • Lisa
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                      I'm not doing anymore lists but other stuff that I liked too

                      Cat Power: You are Free
                      The Kills: Keep on Your Mean Side
                      Radiohead: Hail to the Thief

                      and 2 local Seattle bands

                      Pretty Girls Make Graves-The New Romance
                      These Arms are Snakes : This Is Meant to Hurt You
                      (dumb name, kickass band, sorta like And You Will Know Them..
                      blablalbla) meets another local band Juno. They need to play with
                      the lights on next time I see them <grin>

                      The new Dwight Yoakum sounds pretty good too but I'm far from an
                      expert on him.

                      Lisa
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                        --On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 4:08 PM +0000 samchecker
                        <mwyatt@...> wrote:

                        > I don't do lists, but 2003 was one heck of a year for fun pop records.
                        > The New Pornographers' Electric Version, Electric Six's Fire,
                        > Fountains of Wayne's Welcome Interstate Managers, and one I'm
                        > particularly digging now, Junior Senior's D-D-Don't Stop the Beat.
                        > Damn, that last one is a candy-coated blast...

                        I'd add the Long Winters and Lookyloos discs to the list of fun pop records
                        -- Lookyloos are especially good if you like Chills-style Kiwi-pop (as I
                        do).

                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                          --On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 4:53 PM +0000 Lisa <lmerlin01@...>
                          wrote:

                          > The new Dwight Yoakum sounds pretty good too but I'm far from an
                          > expert on him.

                          I've only heard a couple of songs on the digital Americana station, but it
                          sounds like he's still putting out first-rate heartbreak music.

                          Carl Z.
                        • ahacksaw1
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                            --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring
                            <cz28@a...> wrote:

                            > I've only heard a couple of songs on the digital Americana
                            station, but it
                            > sounds like he's still putting out first-rate heartbreak music.

                            The other Dwight fan in my house and I disagree on this, but I
                            think "Population Me" is a very fine album, and one of Dwight's
                            more consistent efforts in a while. My only complaint about
                            it--and this is a complaint that I rarely make about any record
                            these days--is that it's a little on the short side, with just 10
                            songs (all of 'em fairly short and snappy, too). But it still
                            manages to range from ballads to Buck-influenced twang to
                            honky tonk; the usual spectrum of Dwightness, in short. It'll be in
                            my top 10 for sure.
                          • Perfect Sound Forever
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                              I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing nothing for
                              me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of people
                              whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet. Same
                              with Shins though less so. For the life of me, I can't figure out what
                              either of them do that say, Pernice Brothers and the New Pornographers
                              don't do much better.

                              Off the top of my head, some of the best 2003 stuff I've heard is Bettie
                              Serveert, Crooked Fingers, Busdriver, Gina Villalobos, Outkast, Todd
                              Snider, Snow Patrol, Sole, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, the Swaggerts, Basement Jaxx,
                              Jon Langford, Pink, Ruby on the Vine, Warren Zevon, Daughter, Rufus
                              Wainwright, 'Johnny's Blues- A Tribute to Johnny Cash' and Lucinda
                              Williams. Oh and the Pernice Bros and the New Pornographers... Loved
                              White Stripes and Radiohead at first but I'm not so sure now.

                              Any thoughts on the Johnny Cash box set?

                              Best,
                              Jason
                            • Catherine Lewis
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                                On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Perfect Sound Forever wrote:
                                > I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing nothing for
                                > me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of people
                                > whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet.

                                I saw them a few weeks ago and felt the same way. I thought the record was OK -- although I haven't listened to it recently, so maybe that says something -- and the show was good for their ridiculous amount of energy, but after a while, the songs all started sounding exactly the same and I gave up and left. Maybe if I was more familiar with their work, it would've meant more to me, but I guess that's like saying I would've enjoyed "Russian Ark" if I knew more about Russian history -- the statement may be true, but I am not at all motivated to go seek out the required information.

                                However (warning: shameless self-promotion ahead) they did photograph pretty well, despite the wretched lighting situation and my hatred for color film:
                                http://www.autumnshades.com/photos/wrens_20031109/16.jpg

                                Catherine.
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                                  --On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 2:40 PM -0500 Perfect Sound Forever
                                  <perfectlist@...> wrote:

                                  > Any thoughts on the Johnny Cash box set?

                                  My thought is that it would be an excellent gift for someone to give me.
                                  On paper, it sounds wonderful.

                                  Carl Z.
                                • Lisa
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 2, 2003
                                    --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Catherine Lewis <cplewis@i...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Perfect Sound Forever wrote:
                                    > > I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing
                                    nothing for
                                    > > me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of
                                    people
                                    > > whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet.

                                    That's cool. It's hard to describe why music affects you, positively
                                    or negatively. I guess with the Wrens, for me personally, the record
                                    makes me really sad(and in a good way if that makes any sense). The
                                    whole record from start to finish is about a breakup that the lead
                                    singer did not want to happen. I like his voice although I really
                                    had to listen to it on head phones a few times before I fell in love
                                    with it. He writes some damn good lyrics and the fact that they are
                                    all in my age bracket, 35-40, is cool.

                                    "..I can't type, I can't temp, and I'm way past college"

                                    Lisa
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 3, 2003
                                      Here's a review of the box, from this week's Onion.

                                      Carl Z.

                                      ***

                                      Johnny Cash
                                      Cash Unearthed (Buy It!)
                                      (American/Lost Highway)
                                      Cash Unearthed Johnny Cash's massively important and prolific career had
                                      its fertile and fallow periods, but few expected a major peak in 1994,
                                      after years of forgettable albums, cultural invisibility, and poor sales.
                                      Fewer still expected a resurgence under the guidance of Rick Rubin, the
                                      producer best known for his legendary work in rap and heavy metal. But
                                      Rubin's initial vision for Cash?sitting him down with an esoteric
                                      assortment of source material and recording the singer's bare-bones
                                      interpretations?helped spark a career renewal that continued through Cash's
                                      death in September. American Recordings, the first fruit of their
                                      collaborations, ranks among Cash's best work, as well as the greatest
                                      albums of the '90s. And while the singer's subsequent three records for the
                                      American label produced slowly diminishing returns as his voice
                                      deteriorated and the song selection grew more iffy, Cash and Rubin's many
                                      sessions produced an abundance of enduring classics. Amazingly, Cash
                                      recorded dozens of songs between May (after the death of his wife, the
                                      incomparable June Carter Cash) and his death on Sept. 12, and he had just
                                      finished contributing liner notes for an exhaustive and lavishly packaged
                                      treasure chest of outtakes from the American era. Not counting a pointless
                                      greatest-hits disc spanning his last four albums, Cash Unearthed compiles
                                      64 unreleased tracks on four individually titled discs: Who's Gonna Cry
                                      (some of which has been heard on the indispensable American Outtakes
                                      bootleg), Trouble In Mind (like 1996's Unchained, recorded with Tom Petty &
                                      The Heartbreakers, among others), Redemption Songs (a set of covers
                                      featuring guests such as Fiona Apple, Nick Cave, and the late Joe
                                      Strummer), and My Mother's Hymn Book (an assortment of stripped-down
                                      religious songs Cash hailed as his own best work). Though it represented
                                      the culmination of a lifelong dream for Cash, My Mother's Hymn Book is the
                                      least compelling of the four new albums, largely because its
                                      warm-but-straightforward spirituals are accompanied by little of the
                                      conflict or contemplation inherent in his best religious material. But the
                                      other three, while marred by the occasional misstep, run in varying shades
                                      of incredible. Who's Gonna Cry serves as a natural companion piece to
                                      1994's American Recordings, presenting a riveting, near-perfect collection
                                      of acoustic meditations on life, death, love, and murder. (The set draws
                                      its title from the chilling "The Caretaker," a hair-raising ballad which
                                      poses the question, "Who's gonna cry when old John dies?") Trouble In Mind
                                      similarly reflects its counterpart: Though it brings to mind Unchained's
                                      spirited performances and outstanding peaks, it also has the misfortune of
                                      following a disc with more intensity and heft. It does, however, feature
                                      the most moving moment on Cash Unearthed. "As Long As The Grass Shall
                                      Grow," performed with June Carter Cash, encapsulates both singers'
                                      brilliance and love for each other in an appropriately timeless tearjerker.
                                      Redemption Songs doles out some classics of its own, with its most notable
                                      track pairing Cash with The Clash, as Joe Strummer joins in on a moving
                                      cover of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song." Not content to merely fill some
                                      gaps in Cash's recent catalog, Cash Unearthed provides an essential tour
                                      through the final years of a towering career. Fittingly, that life's work
                                      closes on an extended highpoint worthy of the brilliant work that made Cash
                                      an eternal icon. ?Stephen Thompson
                                    • Mock the DJ
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 3, 2003
                                        Someone wrote:
                                        > > > I've listen to the Wrens a few times now and it's really doing
                                        >nothing for
                                        > > > me. I'm trying hard to hear something especially as a number of
                                        >people
                                        > > > whose opinion I respect like 'em a lot but it ain't happened yet.

                                        Lisa replied:
                                        >That's cool. It's hard to describe why music affects you, positively
                                        >or negatively. I guess with the Wrens, for me personally, the record
                                        >makes me really sad(and in a good way if that makes any sense). The
                                        >whole record from start to finish is about a breakup that the lead
                                        >singer did not want to happen. I like his voice although I really
                                        >had to listen to it on head phones a few times before I fell in love
                                        >with it. He writes some damn good lyrics and the fact that they are
                                        >all in my age bracket, 35-40, is cool.
                                        >Lisa

                                        The Wrens have always fallen in that "Archers of Loaf" slanted indie-rock
                                        category for me.
                                        The disc of theirs that I would really recommend is their 1996 release,
                                        "Secaucus"
                                        (Sadly enough) you can usually find it used at a decent price.

                                        Paul

                                        np: Smoking Popes - Live

                                        Tired of slow downloads and busy signals? Get a high-speed Internet
                                        connection! Comparison-shop your local high-speed providers here.
                                        https://broadband.msn.com