Re: 2003 favorites?

  • David Siegel
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 1, 2003
      here's 20 (off the top of my head, in relative order)-

      ted leo - hearts of oak
      the wrens - meadowlands
      the shins - chutes too narrow
      outkast - speakerboxxx/the love below
      grandaddy - sumday
      the new pornographers - electric version
      the long winters - when i pretend to fall
      the postal service - give up
      my morning jacket - it still moves
      belle & sebastian - dear catastrophe waitress
      the constantines - shine a light
      fountains of wayne - welcome interstate managers
      the decemberists - her majesty...
      death cab for cutie - transatlanticiscm
      fiery furnaces - gallowsbird's bark
      patrick park - loneliness knows my name
      atmosphere - seven's travels
      beulah - yoko
      calexico - feast of wire
      non-prophets - hope
    • Steve Gardner
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 2, 2003
        That's it. Worst year ever for me. ;-)
        ==

        I think this has been a great year for music. I haven't made a list yet, but
        here are some Top Ten possibilities (now if I could only find out how to
        shoehorn them all in):

        Virgil Shaw "Still Falling"
        Decemberists "Castaways and Cutouts"
        Dolorean "Not Exotic"
        Kathleen Edwards "Failer"
        The Rapture "Echoes"
        Boxing "Way Down East"
        Willie Nelson "Crazy: The Demo Sessions"
        Death Cab for Cutie "Transatlancticism"
        Cory Branan "The Hell You Say"
        Com.a "Shot of Love"
        Jesse Harris and the Ferdinandos "The Secret Sun"
        Jayhawks "Rainy Day Music"
        Postal Service "Give Up"
        Magnolia Electric Co "Magnolia Electric Co"
        Drive-By Truckers "Decoration Day"
        Eels "Shootenanny"
        Tommy Womack "Washington DC"
        Grandaddy "Sumday"
        Thad Cockrell "Warmth and Beauty"
        Frog Holler "Railings"
        Fountains of Wayne "Welcome Interstate Managers"
        My Morning Jacket "It Still Moves"
        Ted Leo "Hearts of Oak" and "Tell Balgeary, Balgury is Dead"
        Shins "Chutes Too Narrow"
        David Dondero "The Transient"
        D4 "6Twenty"
        Thermals "More Parts Per Million"

        whew,
        steve
      • Chris Hill
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 2, 2003
          Haven't seen the latest Pernice Brothers mentioned yet, which is
          surprises me. Joe Pernice continues to put out quality stuff.
          That one & others that I don't think have been mentioned which I'm
          mulling over for the year-end list. No order.

          the Sleepy Jackson - Lovers (Oz band, brilliant combo of classic
          influences and styles)
          the Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site (rock/pop, great lyrics, and
          a pedal steel)
          Styrofoam - I'm What's There to Show That Something's
          Missing / A Heart Without a Mind EP (German electronica, warm!)
          Pernice Brothers - Yours, Mine and Ours ("Baby in Two", an '03 fave.
          Perversely disappointing for being so immediately fantastic.)
          Shack - ...Here's Tom with the Weather (possibly the best of this
          list as far as a whole *album* vibe goes, this is still an
          import afaik)
          Gemma Hayes - Night on my Side (Irish singer, more muscle in the
          music than the average, an '02 import/'03 domestic)
          Wheat - Per Second Per Second Per Second Every Second (glossier
          than their last two, the skeleton's still hook-filled)
          Ulrich Schnauss - A Strangely Isolated Place (German electronica,
          good relaxing/energizing vibe, mostly instrumentals)
          Paddy McAloon - I Trawl the Megahertz (Prefab Sprout singer, feels
          more like an experiment than an album, many serene moments)
          Mark Eitzel - The Ugly American (amazed how much I like the Greek
          instrumentation to the classic AMC tracks - "Western Sky" !!)
          Frames - Set List / The Roads Outgrown (nothing new this year but
          the "Fake" single, this year's "Where have I been??" winner)
          the Jealous Sound - Kill Them With Kindness (emo pop/rock, many good
          hooks, fave line = "you're a crisis with a backbeat")
          the Stills - Logic Will Break Your Heart (favorite of the "The..."
          bands this year)
          Lali Puna - Left Handed single (a Notwist-related band, the title
          track is a top 3 fave this year, new album in early '04)
          Appleseed Cast - Two Conversations (another emo/rock band, more good
          hooks)
          British Sea Power - The Decline of British Sea Power (did this come
          out in '02 in the U.K.?, good live show)
          Downpilot - Leaving not Arriving (local band a lot of list folk
          would dig, particularly any who've heard the Sanford Arms cd)
          Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It in People (Canada '02 release,
          '03 down here, eclectic and wonderful)

          and a few relative disappointments:

          Paul Westerberg - Come Feel Me Tremble
          Grandpaboy - Dead Man Shake
          (I'll keep buying PW's stuff as long as he puts it out, but I'd
          sure love to hear his ideas polished and produced, with some
          band interaction again)

          Josh Rouse - 1972 (a few memorable songs, nostalgic production,
          but the album's tanked by the appalling "Slaveship" love
          metaphor - coming soon, "Baby, you're the Bataan Death March"?
          His first (and easily my fave) album recedes in the past...)

          Chris
          np: Rich Hopkins & Luminarios, Ka-Ju-Tah
        • Chris Hill
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 2, 2003
            > np: Rich Hopkins & Luminarios, Ka-Ju-Tah

            Hey, Carl Z -

            You might be interested in this one - Steve Wynn guests on a track.
            Nothing remarkable, midtempo stomp-guitar rock (with a cowbell?),
            but if you're a completist...

            Chris
          • Andy Benham
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 2, 2003
              On 2 Dec 2003 at 5:25, Chris Hill wrote:

              > British Sea Power - The Decline of British Sea Power (did this come
              > out in '02 in the U.K.?, good live show)

              No, fairly certain it came out this year. Finally got to see them last
              Friday after several near misses, cancellations etc. And very good
              they were too. The lead singer reminded me of a cross between
              Brett Anderson and Jim Kerr.
              Incidentally the support were called The Killers, who apparently
              come from Las Vegas. Suffered from a Psychedelic Furs overdose
              to my ears. If I see one more post punk band in buttoned up black
              shirts and floppy fringes, well there'll be hell to pay.....

              > Downpilot - Leaving not Arriving (local band a lot of list folk
              > would dig, particularly any who've heard the Sanford Arms cd)

              Waiting for MOM to deliver this along with Two Cow Garage and The
              Shins
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 2, 2003
                --On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 5:25 AM -1100 Chris Hill <chillout@...>
                wrote:

                > Haven't seen the latest Pernice Brothers mentioned yet, which is
                > surprises me. Joe Pernice continues to put out quality stuff.

                I don't know why, but _Yours, Mine & Ours_ just didn't grab me. Maybe I
                had unrealistic expectations after loving _The World Won't End_, as the
                production and harmonies sound great. I never got into the songs...

                Chris then said
                >> np: Rich Hopkins & Luminarios, Ka-Ju-Tah
                >
                > Hey, Carl Z -
                >
                > You might be interested in this one - Steve Wynn guests on a track.
                > Nothing remarkable, midtempo stomp-guitar rock (with a cowbell?),
                > but if you're a completist...

                Y'know, I was about to ask what this was like when I saw your last post.
                Is Hopkins the guy who sometimes works with Barbara Manning?

                Carl Z.
              • Andy Benham
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
                  On 30 Nov 2003 at 11:56, Carl Zimring wrote:

                  Without having done much thought, 2003 seems like a real
                  > strong year for new releases...
                  >
                  > Carl Z.

                  Not too many UK releases mentioned so far. So here's 10 + 1 I've
                  liked this year. So FWIW

                  Mos Eisley - The get up set
                  Reynolds - Love songs
                  Alisdair Roberts - Farewell sorrow
                  Pip Dylan - Of all the things I can eat....
                  British Sea Power - The decline of.....
                  Camera Obscura - Underachievers, please try harder
                  Broken Family Band - Cold water songs
                  Rock of Travolta - Uluru
                  Wisdom of Harry - Torch division
                  ballboy - The sash my father wore
                  Elbow - Cast of thousands

                  and close behind - RT, Zephyrs, Havenots, Peter Bruntnell, Jim
                  Moray

                  And to redress the balance 10 + 1 from USA

                  Bonnie Prince Billy - Master and everyone
                  Calla - Televise
                  Calexico - Feast of wire
                  Devics - The stars at Saint Andrea
                  Califone - quicksand/cradlesnakes
                  Noahjohn - Water hymns
                  Willard Grant Conspiracy - Regard the end
                  Gillian Welch - Soul journey
                  The Decemberists - Castaways and cutouts
                  My Morning Jacket - It still moves
                  South San Gabriel - Welcome, convalescence

                  and close behind - DBT, Steve Wynn, M.Ward, Faraway Places,
                  Okkervil River, Josh Rouse, Explosions in the sky

                  From elsewhere

                  The sleepy jackson - Lovers
                  Herman Dune - Mas Cambios
                  Herman Dune - Mash concrete, metal mushroom

                  And if I had to pick 2 from those I'd probably say Reynolds and
                  South San Gabriel.

                  Some reissues and comps.

                  Trembling blue stars - A certain evening light
                  V/A - Gone fishin, A Wichita compilation
                  V/A - Rough Trade Shops, Post Punk 1
                  V/A - Rough Trade Shops, Country 1
                  Television - Marquee moon
                  V/A - 25 Rough Trade, Stop me if you've heard this before

                  And finally 5 shows amongst many

                  Gillian Welch @ Irish Centre, Birmingham
                  Gotan Project @ Summer Sundae, Leicester
                  Richard Buckner @ Ceol Castle, Birmingham
                  My Morning Jacket/South San Gabriel @ Rescue Rooms,
                  Nottingham
                  Soul Brothers @ MAC Arena, Birmingham

                  and finally, finally the worst 30 quid I've ever spent

                  Bob Dylan @ NEC Arena, Birmingham

                  Andy
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
                    I like it when Andy posts what he's listening to, because he never fails to
                    mention stuff I've never heard of, much less heard!

                    Carl Z.

                    --On Wednesday, December 3, 2003 2:32 PM +0000 Andy Benham
                    <a.s.benham@...> wrote:

                    > From elsewhere
                    >
                    > The sleepy jackson - Lovers
                    > Herman Dune - Mas Cambios
                    > Herman Dune - Mash concrete, metal mushroom
                  • ahacksaw1
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
                      --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring
                      <cz28@a...> wrote:
                      > I like it when Andy posts what he's listening to, because he
                      never fails to
                      > mention stuff I've never heard of, much less heard!

                      Andy is bad for my wallet, though good for my eardrums. Fresh
                      from purchasing a ballboy CD, largely on his recommendation, I
                      decided to give Downpilot a listen. Mmm...dreamy and downbeat
                      and intricate, just my sort of thing. I'll be ordering it momentarily,
                      thanking and cursing Andy simultaneously as I do so.
                    • Lisa
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
                        --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Benham" <a.s.benham@b...>
                        wrote:
                        >> Some reissues and comps.

                        > Trembling blue stars - A certain evening light

                        I love reading Andy's lists. If I ever have any extra money (yeah
                        right), I am going to buy Ballboy. I really like what I have heard.

                        I found the Trembling Blue Stars "Broken by Whispers" in the $2 bin
                        at a used record store and I love it. What other ones are good?

                        Did you like South's new one, Andy? Another one that I really liked
                        but it may be too Britpop for you <g>

                        Lisa, way too busy today
                      • Chris Hill
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
                          Lisa wrote:

                          > I found the Trembling Blue Stars "Broken by Whispers" in the $2 bin
                          > at a used record store and I love it. What other ones are good?

                          _Alive to Every Smile_, the last studio disc was an '01 fave. "Haunted
                          Days", "St. Paul's Cathedral At Night", "The Ghost of an Unkissed Kiss" -
                          all stellar. Before that, bearing in mind I'm not an uber-fan, the TBS
                          albums and the Field Mice albums (TFM begat TBS) blend together in
                          my head. I'm sure early fans could point out the differences.

                          And that Ballboy album is worth the buy. Isn't the U.S. release a comp
                          of various Ballboy EPs, plus some extras? Anyhow, it's very pleasant.
                          Used "A Europewide Search of Love" on my year-end songs comp - not
                          representative of the whole, like a lush Jazz Butcher track. The album
                          as a whole strikes me like JB vs. Snow Patrol. Haven't bought their new
                          one yet, but I will.

                          Too little impulse control, too much music. Ordered the new Aluminum
                          Group today, only available through the label prior to its Jan '04 release.
                          Nice to have those bands one'll buy unheard.

                          Chris
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                            --On Wednesday, December 3, 2003 5:26 PM -0800 Chris Hill
                            <chillout@...> wrote:

                            > And that Ballboy album is worth the buy. Isn't the U.S. release a comp
                            > of various Ballboy EPs, plus some extras? Anyhow, it's very pleasant.
                            > Used "A Europewide Search of Love" on my year-end songs comp - not
                            > representative of the whole, like a lush Jazz Butcher track.

                            "Lush Jazz Butcher" makes me think that old guitarist Max (responsible for
                            most of the jazzy parts of the mid-80s recordings) rejoined the band at
                            some point. Haven't heard anything....

                            Carl Z.
                          • Andy Benham
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                              On 4 Dec 2003 at 0:12, Lisa wrote:

                              > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Benham" <a.s.benham@b...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >> Some reissues and comps.
                              >

                              > > Trembling blue stars - A certain evening light
                              >

                              > I love reading Andy's lists. If I ever have any extra money (yeah
                              > right), I am going to buy Ballboy. I really like what I have heard.
                              >
                              > I found the Trembling Blue Stars "Broken by Whispers" in the $2 bin
                              > at a used record store and I love it. What other ones are good?

                              Chris's suggestion is about right. The cd I mentioned is a comp. of
                              lots of early singles, b sides etc

                              > Did you like South's new one, Andy? Another one that I really liked
                              > but it may be too Britpop for you <g>

                              Can't say I've heard them. Will keep my ears peeled.

                              Andy
                            • Andy Benham
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                                On 3 Dec 2003 at 23:05, ahacksaw1 wrote:

                                > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring
                                > <cz28@a...> wrote:
                                > > I like it when Andy posts what he's listening to, because he
                                > never fails to
                                > > mention stuff I've never heard of, much less heard!
                                > >
                                > Andy is bad for my wallet, though good for my eardrums. Fresh
                                > from purchasing a ballboy CD, largely on his recommendation, I
                                > decided to give Downpilot a listen. Mmm...dreamy and downbeat
                                > and intricate, just my sort of thing. I'll be ordering it momentarily,
                                > thanking and cursing Andy simultaneously as I do so.

                                Thats a different reaction. Normally people just pat me on the head,
                                sit me down in a corner allow me to rabbit on uncontrollably about
                                music without taking a blind bit of notice.

                                Andrew Benham
                                Email A.S.Benham@...
                                Tel.No. 0121 414 4126 (work)
                                Tel.No. 0121 414 0655 (home)
                              • Andy Benham
                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                                  On 3 Dec 2003 at 17:26, Chris Hill wrote:

                                  > And that Ballboy album is worth the buy. Isn't the U.S. release a comp
                                  > of various Ballboy EPs, plus some extras?

                                  Thats the first album _ Club Anthems_. Since then _A guide to the
                                  daylight hours_ has been released, including _Sex is boring_,_Avant
                                  garde music_ and _I lost you but I found country music_. I think its
                                  been released in the US. The latest _The sash my father wore_ is a
                                  quieter more intimate affair, lacking in the WP style guitars, but no
                                  worse for it. It also contains a rather good version of _Born in the
                                  USA_.
                                  I've seen ballboy twice over the last couple of weeks. The first an
                                  emotional last gig for Katie (the keyboard player). Also on the bill
                                  were Airport Girl and Bearsuit. Expect me to be raving about new
                                  material from them in the near future.

                                  > Too little impulse control, too much music.

                                  Tell me about. I have 2' stack of cds to listen to at the moment.
                                • ahacksaw1
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                                    <a.s.benham@b...> wrote:

                                    > Thats a different reaction. Normally people just pat me on the
                                    head,
                                    > sit me down in a corner allow me to rabbit on uncontrollably
                                    about
                                    > music without taking a blind bit of notice.

                                    Well, I hope you'll continue to rabbit on, even if your doing so
                                    does cost me money. <g> But in the credit where credit is due
                                    department, I should note that Chris Hill was (I think) the first
                                    person to mention Downpilot here. I pay attention to his
                                    recommendations too, and in this case, I think it was the
                                    cumulative effect that prodded me to go and listen, and buy.
                                  • Andy Benham
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                                      On 4 Dec 2003 at 15:42, ahacksaw1 wrote:

                                      > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Benham"
                                      > <a.s.benham@b...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Thats a different reaction. Normally people just pat me on the
                                      > head,
                                      > > sit me down in a corner allow me to rabbit on uncontrollably
                                      > about
                                      > > music without taking a blind bit of notice.
                                      > >
                                      > Well, I hope you'll continue to rabbit on, even if your doing so
                                      > does cost me money. <g> But in the credit where credit is due
                                      > department, I should note that Chris Hill was (I think) the first
                                      > person to mention Downpilot here. I pay attention to his
                                      > recommendations too, and in this case, I think it was the
                                      > cumulative effect that prodded me to go and listen, and buy.

                                      Absolutely, and to prove the point also on my MOM order is a Texas
                                      Instruments cd that I thought I'd give a go on the strength of talk
                                      here. The fact it was only $5 also helped.Andrew Benham
                                      Email A.S.Benham@...
                                      Tel.No. 0121 414 4126 (work)
                                      Tel.No. 0121 414 0655 (home)
                                    • Stevo
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 5, 2003
                                        --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
                                        > "Lush Jazz Butcher" makes me think that old guitarist Max
                                        (responsible for
                                        > most of the jazzy parts of the mid-80s recordings) rejoined the
                                        band at
                                        > some point. Haven't heard anything....
                                        >
                                        > Carl Z.

                                        Are Jazz Butcher highly regarded over here then?
                                        Only things I remember about them are meeting them in Groningen when
                                        I was at a gig headlined by Einsturzebde Neubauten and that the guy
                                        who went on to play bass in Levitation then Dark Star was an ex-member
                                        Stevo
                                        Np Savage Republic Tragic Figures plus Mobilization
                                      • Stevo
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Dec 5, 2003
                                          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
                                          I wanna know the music you've enjoyed
                                          > this year.
                                          Not sure about what I bought this year from this year.

                                          Have been getting heavily into The Moodists tw fisted art over the
                                          last week. That actually came out end of last year and was recorded
                                          about 19 years earlier.
                                          I've been pretty retro this year UI nthink, currently discovering mid
                                          80s heavy guitar stuff as well as jazz, 60s psych, whatever folk etc.

                                          sudden;y got a credit card that I'm gonna have to destroy means I've
                                          got a lot of other stuff at hand's reach.

                                          Liked the Angels of Light cd and the Gira/Matz collaboration What We
                                          Did muchly.
                                          Finding out that I've got a new friend who's pretty partial to
                                          krautrock too.

                                          I reccommend Dublin's Tycho Brahe, but I think I've done that once
                                          recently.
                                          Alo a pretty raw mod band from Leeds UK called the Uptight
                                          and a local band called the Black mariahs who are pretty rock and
                                          roll, early 70s who/Jazz etc etc.
                                          Stevo
                                          Np Savage REpublic Tragic Figures plus Tragic Figure/Empty Quarter
                                        • Chris Hill
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Dec 5, 2003
                                            Stevo wrote:

                                            > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
                                            > > "Lush Jazz Butcher" makes me think that old guitarist Max
                                            > (responsible for
                                            > > most of the jazzy parts of the mid-80s recordings) rejoined the
                                            > band at
                                            > > some point. Haven't heard anything....
                                            > >
                                            > > Carl Z.
                                            >
                                            > Are Jazz Butcher highly regarded over here then?

                                            As far as US fans go, I think they're a well-kept secret, but on the
                                            indiepop list, a lot of people know and like them.

                                            Chris
                                            np: the Stills
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Dec 6, 2003
                                              --On Friday, December 5, 2003 7:45 PM +0000 Stevo <Stuggy@...>
                                              wrote:

                                              > Are Jazz Butcher highly regarded over here then?

                                              I'm quite partial to the _Bloody Nonsense_ comp Big Time put out in 1986.
                                              Wish it existed on CD.