Re: 2003 favorites?

  • sleeploss_dreams
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 1, 2003
      --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
      Without having done much thought, 2003 seems like a real
      > strong year for new releases...
      >
      > Carl Z.

      The new Iron and Wine album is really knocking me over this year.

      James
    • David Siegel
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 1, 2003
        here's 20 (off the top of my head, in relative order)-

        ted leo - hearts of oak
        the wrens - meadowlands
        the shins - chutes too narrow
        outkast - speakerboxxx/the love below
        grandaddy - sumday
        the new pornographers - electric version
        the long winters - when i pretend to fall
        the postal service - give up
        my morning jacket - it still moves
        belle & sebastian - dear catastrophe waitress
        the constantines - shine a light
        fountains of wayne - welcome interstate managers
        the decemberists - her majesty...
        death cab for cutie - transatlanticiscm
        fiery furnaces - gallowsbird's bark
        patrick park - loneliness knows my name
        atmosphere - seven's travels
        beulah - yoko
        calexico - feast of wire
        non-prophets - hope
      • Steve Gardner
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 2, 2003
          That's it. Worst year ever for me. ;-)
          ==

          I think this has been a great year for music. I haven't made a list yet, but
          here are some Top Ten possibilities (now if I could only find out how to
          shoehorn them all in):

          Virgil Shaw "Still Falling"
          Decemberists "Castaways and Cutouts"
          Dolorean "Not Exotic"
          Kathleen Edwards "Failer"
          The Rapture "Echoes"
          Boxing "Way Down East"
          Willie Nelson "Crazy: The Demo Sessions"
          Death Cab for Cutie "Transatlancticism"
          Cory Branan "The Hell You Say"
          Com.a "Shot of Love"
          Jesse Harris and the Ferdinandos "The Secret Sun"
          Jayhawks "Rainy Day Music"
          Postal Service "Give Up"
          Magnolia Electric Co "Magnolia Electric Co"
          Drive-By Truckers "Decoration Day"
          Eels "Shootenanny"
          Tommy Womack "Washington DC"
          Grandaddy "Sumday"
          Thad Cockrell "Warmth and Beauty"
          Frog Holler "Railings"
          Fountains of Wayne "Welcome Interstate Managers"
          My Morning Jacket "It Still Moves"
          Ted Leo "Hearts of Oak" and "Tell Balgeary, Balgury is Dead"
          Shins "Chutes Too Narrow"
          David Dondero "The Transient"
          D4 "6Twenty"
          Thermals "More Parts Per Million"

          whew,
          steve
        • Chris Hill
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 2, 2003
            Haven't seen the latest Pernice Brothers mentioned yet, which is
            surprises me. Joe Pernice continues to put out quality stuff.
            That one & others that I don't think have been mentioned which I'm
            mulling over for the year-end list. No order.

            the Sleepy Jackson - Lovers (Oz band, brilliant combo of classic
            influences and styles)
            the Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site (rock/pop, great lyrics, and
            a pedal steel)
            Styrofoam - I'm What's There to Show That Something's
            Missing / A Heart Without a Mind EP (German electronica, warm!)
            Pernice Brothers - Yours, Mine and Ours ("Baby in Two", an '03 fave.
            Perversely disappointing for being so immediately fantastic.)
            Shack - ...Here's Tom with the Weather (possibly the best of this
            list as far as a whole *album* vibe goes, this is still an
            import afaik)
            Gemma Hayes - Night on my Side (Irish singer, more muscle in the
            music than the average, an '02 import/'03 domestic)
            Wheat - Per Second Per Second Per Second Every Second (glossier
            than their last two, the skeleton's still hook-filled)
            Ulrich Schnauss - A Strangely Isolated Place (German electronica,
            good relaxing/energizing vibe, mostly instrumentals)
            Paddy McAloon - I Trawl the Megahertz (Prefab Sprout singer, feels
            more like an experiment than an album, many serene moments)
            Mark Eitzel - The Ugly American (amazed how much I like the Greek
            instrumentation to the classic AMC tracks - "Western Sky" !!)
            Frames - Set List / The Roads Outgrown (nothing new this year but
            the "Fake" single, this year's "Where have I been??" winner)
            the Jealous Sound - Kill Them With Kindness (emo pop/rock, many good
            hooks, fave line = "you're a crisis with a backbeat")
            the Stills - Logic Will Break Your Heart (favorite of the "The..."
            bands this year)
            Lali Puna - Left Handed single (a Notwist-related band, the title
            track is a top 3 fave this year, new album in early '04)
            Appleseed Cast - Two Conversations (another emo/rock band, more good
            hooks)
            British Sea Power - The Decline of British Sea Power (did this come
            out in '02 in the U.K.?, good live show)
            Downpilot - Leaving not Arriving (local band a lot of list folk
            would dig, particularly any who've heard the Sanford Arms cd)
            Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It in People (Canada '02 release,
            '03 down here, eclectic and wonderful)

            and a few relative disappointments:

            Paul Westerberg - Come Feel Me Tremble
            Grandpaboy - Dead Man Shake
            (I'll keep buying PW's stuff as long as he puts it out, but I'd
            sure love to hear his ideas polished and produced, with some
            band interaction again)

            Josh Rouse - 1972 (a few memorable songs, nostalgic production,
            but the album's tanked by the appalling "Slaveship" love
            metaphor - coming soon, "Baby, you're the Bataan Death March"?
            His first (and easily my fave) album recedes in the past...)

            Chris
            np: Rich Hopkins & Luminarios, Ka-Ju-Tah
          • Chris Hill
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 2, 2003
              > np: Rich Hopkins & Luminarios, Ka-Ju-Tah

              Hey, Carl Z -

              You might be interested in this one - Steve Wynn guests on a track.
              Nothing remarkable, midtempo stomp-guitar rock (with a cowbell?),
              but if you're a completist...

              Chris
            • Andy Benham
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 2, 2003
                On 2 Dec 2003 at 5:25, Chris Hill wrote:

                > British Sea Power - The Decline of British Sea Power (did this come
                > out in '02 in the U.K.?, good live show)

                No, fairly certain it came out this year. Finally got to see them last
                Friday after several near misses, cancellations etc. And very good
                they were too. The lead singer reminded me of a cross between
                Brett Anderson and Jim Kerr.
                Incidentally the support were called The Killers, who apparently
                come from Las Vegas. Suffered from a Psychedelic Furs overdose
                to my ears. If I see one more post punk band in buttoned up black
                shirts and floppy fringes, well there'll be hell to pay.....

                > Downpilot - Leaving not Arriving (local band a lot of list folk
                > would dig, particularly any who've heard the Sanford Arms cd)

                Waiting for MOM to deliver this along with Two Cow Garage and The
                Shins
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 2, 2003
                  --On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 5:25 AM -1100 Chris Hill <chillout@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Haven't seen the latest Pernice Brothers mentioned yet, which is
                  > surprises me. Joe Pernice continues to put out quality stuff.

                  I don't know why, but _Yours, Mine & Ours_ just didn't grab me. Maybe I
                  had unrealistic expectations after loving _The World Won't End_, as the
                  production and harmonies sound great. I never got into the songs...

                  Chris then said
                  >> np: Rich Hopkins & Luminarios, Ka-Ju-Tah
                  >
                  > Hey, Carl Z -
                  >
                  > You might be interested in this one - Steve Wynn guests on a track.
                  > Nothing remarkable, midtempo stomp-guitar rock (with a cowbell?),
                  > but if you're a completist...

                  Y'know, I was about to ask what this was like when I saw your last post.
                  Is Hopkins the guy who sometimes works with Barbara Manning?

                  Carl Z.
                • Andy Benham
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
                    On 30 Nov 2003 at 11:56, Carl Zimring wrote:

                    Without having done much thought, 2003 seems like a real
                    > strong year for new releases...
                    >
                    > Carl Z.

                    Not too many UK releases mentioned so far. So here's 10 + 1 I've
                    liked this year. So FWIW

                    Mos Eisley - The get up set
                    Reynolds - Love songs
                    Alisdair Roberts - Farewell sorrow
                    Pip Dylan - Of all the things I can eat....
                    British Sea Power - The decline of.....
                    Camera Obscura - Underachievers, please try harder
                    Broken Family Band - Cold water songs
                    Rock of Travolta - Uluru
                    Wisdom of Harry - Torch division
                    ballboy - The sash my father wore
                    Elbow - Cast of thousands

                    and close behind - RT, Zephyrs, Havenots, Peter Bruntnell, Jim
                    Moray

                    And to redress the balance 10 + 1 from USA

                    Bonnie Prince Billy - Master and everyone
                    Calla - Televise
                    Calexico - Feast of wire
                    Devics - The stars at Saint Andrea
                    Califone - quicksand/cradlesnakes
                    Noahjohn - Water hymns
                    Willard Grant Conspiracy - Regard the end
                    Gillian Welch - Soul journey
                    The Decemberists - Castaways and cutouts
                    My Morning Jacket - It still moves
                    South San Gabriel - Welcome, convalescence

                    and close behind - DBT, Steve Wynn, M.Ward, Faraway Places,
                    Okkervil River, Josh Rouse, Explosions in the sky

                    From elsewhere

                    The sleepy jackson - Lovers
                    Herman Dune - Mas Cambios
                    Herman Dune - Mash concrete, metal mushroom

                    And if I had to pick 2 from those I'd probably say Reynolds and
                    South San Gabriel.

                    Some reissues and comps.

                    Trembling blue stars - A certain evening light
                    V/A - Gone fishin, A Wichita compilation
                    V/A - Rough Trade Shops, Post Punk 1
                    V/A - Rough Trade Shops, Country 1
                    Television - Marquee moon
                    V/A - 25 Rough Trade, Stop me if you've heard this before

                    And finally 5 shows amongst many

                    Gillian Welch @ Irish Centre, Birmingham
                    Gotan Project @ Summer Sundae, Leicester
                    Richard Buckner @ Ceol Castle, Birmingham
                    My Morning Jacket/South San Gabriel @ Rescue Rooms,
                    Nottingham
                    Soul Brothers @ MAC Arena, Birmingham

                    and finally, finally the worst 30 quid I've ever spent

                    Bob Dylan @ NEC Arena, Birmingham

                    Andy
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
                      I like it when Andy posts what he's listening to, because he never fails to
                      mention stuff I've never heard of, much less heard!

                      Carl Z.

                      --On Wednesday, December 3, 2003 2:32 PM +0000 Andy Benham
                      <a.s.benham@...> wrote:

                      > From elsewhere
                      >
                      > The sleepy jackson - Lovers
                      > Herman Dune - Mas Cambios
                      > Herman Dune - Mash concrete, metal mushroom
                    • ahacksaw1
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
                        <cz28@a...> wrote:
                        > I like it when Andy posts what he's listening to, because he
                        never fails to
                        > mention stuff I've never heard of, much less heard!

                        Andy is bad for my wallet, though good for my eardrums. Fresh
                        from purchasing a ballboy CD, largely on his recommendation, I
                        decided to give Downpilot a listen. Mmm...dreamy and downbeat
                        and intricate, just my sort of thing. I'll be ordering it momentarily,
                        thanking and cursing Andy simultaneously as I do so.
                      • Lisa
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
                          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Benham" <a.s.benham@b...>
                          wrote:
                          >> Some reissues and comps.

                          > Trembling blue stars - A certain evening light

                          I love reading Andy's lists. If I ever have any extra money (yeah
                          right), I am going to buy Ballboy. I really like what I have heard.

                          I found the Trembling Blue Stars "Broken by Whispers" in the $2 bin
                          at a used record store and I love it. What other ones are good?

                          Did you like South's new one, Andy? Another one that I really liked
                          but it may be too Britpop for you <g>

                          Lisa, way too busy today
                        • Chris Hill
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
                            Lisa wrote:

                            > I found the Trembling Blue Stars "Broken by Whispers" in the $2 bin
                            > at a used record store and I love it. What other ones are good?

                            _Alive to Every Smile_, the last studio disc was an '01 fave. "Haunted
                            Days", "St. Paul's Cathedral At Night", "The Ghost of an Unkissed Kiss" -
                            all stellar. Before that, bearing in mind I'm not an uber-fan, the TBS
                            albums and the Field Mice albums (TFM begat TBS) blend together in
                            my head. I'm sure early fans could point out the differences.

                            And that Ballboy album is worth the buy. Isn't the U.S. release a comp
                            of various Ballboy EPs, plus some extras? Anyhow, it's very pleasant.
                            Used "A Europewide Search of Love" on my year-end songs comp - not
                            representative of the whole, like a lush Jazz Butcher track. The album
                            as a whole strikes me like JB vs. Snow Patrol. Haven't bought their new
                            one yet, but I will.

                            Too little impulse control, too much music. Ordered the new Aluminum
                            Group today, only available through the label prior to its Jan '04 release.
                            Nice to have those bands one'll buy unheard.

                            Chris
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                              --On Wednesday, December 3, 2003 5:26 PM -0800 Chris Hill
                              <chillout@...> wrote:

                              > And that Ballboy album is worth the buy. Isn't the U.S. release a comp
                              > of various Ballboy EPs, plus some extras? Anyhow, it's very pleasant.
                              > Used "A Europewide Search of Love" on my year-end songs comp - not
                              > representative of the whole, like a lush Jazz Butcher track.

                              "Lush Jazz Butcher" makes me think that old guitarist Max (responsible for
                              most of the jazzy parts of the mid-80s recordings) rejoined the band at
                              some point. Haven't heard anything....

                              Carl Z.
                            • Andy Benham
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                                On 4 Dec 2003 at 0:12, Lisa wrote:

                                > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Benham" <a.s.benham@b...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >> Some reissues and comps.
                                >

                                > > Trembling blue stars - A certain evening light
                                >

                                > I love reading Andy's lists. If I ever have any extra money (yeah
                                > right), I am going to buy Ballboy. I really like what I have heard.
                                >
                                > I found the Trembling Blue Stars "Broken by Whispers" in the $2 bin
                                > at a used record store and I love it. What other ones are good?

                                Chris's suggestion is about right. The cd I mentioned is a comp. of
                                lots of early singles, b sides etc

                                > Did you like South's new one, Andy? Another one that I really liked
                                > but it may be too Britpop for you <g>

                                Can't say I've heard them. Will keep my ears peeled.

                                Andy
                              • Andy Benham
                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                                  On 3 Dec 2003 at 23:05, ahacksaw1 wrote:

                                  > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring
                                  > <cz28@a...> wrote:
                                  > > I like it when Andy posts what he's listening to, because he
                                  > never fails to
                                  > > mention stuff I've never heard of, much less heard!
                                  > >
                                  > Andy is bad for my wallet, though good for my eardrums. Fresh
                                  > from purchasing a ballboy CD, largely on his recommendation, I
                                  > decided to give Downpilot a listen. Mmm...dreamy and downbeat
                                  > and intricate, just my sort of thing. I'll be ordering it momentarily,
                                  > thanking and cursing Andy simultaneously as I do so.

                                  Thats a different reaction. Normally people just pat me on the head,
                                  sit me down in a corner allow me to rabbit on uncontrollably about
                                  music without taking a blind bit of notice.

                                  Andrew Benham
                                  Email A.S.Benham@...
                                  Tel.No. 0121 414 4126 (work)
                                  Tel.No. 0121 414 0655 (home)
                                • Andy Benham
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                                    On 3 Dec 2003 at 17:26, Chris Hill wrote:

                                    > And that Ballboy album is worth the buy. Isn't the U.S. release a comp
                                    > of various Ballboy EPs, plus some extras?

                                    Thats the first album _ Club Anthems_. Since then _A guide to the
                                    daylight hours_ has been released, including _Sex is boring_,_Avant
                                    garde music_ and _I lost you but I found country music_. I think its
                                    been released in the US. The latest _The sash my father wore_ is a
                                    quieter more intimate affair, lacking in the WP style guitars, but no
                                    worse for it. It also contains a rather good version of _Born in the
                                    USA_.
                                    I've seen ballboy twice over the last couple of weeks. The first an
                                    emotional last gig for Katie (the keyboard player). Also on the bill
                                    were Airport Girl and Bearsuit. Expect me to be raving about new
                                    material from them in the near future.

                                    > Too little impulse control, too much music.

                                    Tell me about. I have 2' stack of cds to listen to at the moment.
                                  • ahacksaw1
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                                      <a.s.benham@b...> wrote:

                                      > Thats a different reaction. Normally people just pat me on the
                                      head,
                                      > sit me down in a corner allow me to rabbit on uncontrollably
                                      about
                                      > music without taking a blind bit of notice.

                                      Well, I hope you'll continue to rabbit on, even if your doing so
                                      does cost me money. <g> But in the credit where credit is due
                                      department, I should note that Chris Hill was (I think) the first
                                      person to mention Downpilot here. I pay attention to his
                                      recommendations too, and in this case, I think it was the
                                      cumulative effect that prodded me to go and listen, and buy.
                                    • Andy Benham
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                                        On 4 Dec 2003 at 15:42, ahacksaw1 wrote:

                                        > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Benham"
                                        > <a.s.benham@b...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Thats a different reaction. Normally people just pat me on the
                                        > head,
                                        > > sit me down in a corner allow me to rabbit on uncontrollably
                                        > about
                                        > > music without taking a blind bit of notice.
                                        > >
                                        > Well, I hope you'll continue to rabbit on, even if your doing so
                                        > does cost me money. <g> But in the credit where credit is due
                                        > department, I should note that Chris Hill was (I think) the first
                                        > person to mention Downpilot here. I pay attention to his
                                        > recommendations too, and in this case, I think it was the
                                        > cumulative effect that prodded me to go and listen, and buy.

                                        Absolutely, and to prove the point also on my MOM order is a Texas
                                        Instruments cd that I thought I'd give a go on the strength of talk
                                        here. The fact it was only $5 also helped.Andrew Benham
                                        Email A.S.Benham@...
                                        Tel.No. 0121 414 4126 (work)
                                        Tel.No. 0121 414 0655 (home)
                                      • Stevo
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Dec 5, 2003
                                          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
                                          > "Lush Jazz Butcher" makes me think that old guitarist Max
                                          (responsible for
                                          > most of the jazzy parts of the mid-80s recordings) rejoined the
                                          band at
                                          > some point. Haven't heard anything....
                                          >
                                          > Carl Z.

                                          Are Jazz Butcher highly regarded over here then?
                                          Only things I remember about them are meeting them in Groningen when
                                          I was at a gig headlined by Einsturzebde Neubauten and that the guy
                                          who went on to play bass in Levitation then Dark Star was an ex-member
                                          Stevo
                                          Np Savage Republic Tragic Figures plus Mobilization
                                        • Stevo
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Dec 5, 2003
                                            --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
                                            I wanna know the music you've enjoyed
                                            > this year.
                                            Not sure about what I bought this year from this year.

                                            Have been getting heavily into The Moodists tw fisted art over the
                                            last week. That actually came out end of last year and was recorded
                                            about 19 years earlier.
                                            I've been pretty retro this year UI nthink, currently discovering mid
                                            80s heavy guitar stuff as well as jazz, 60s psych, whatever folk etc.

                                            sudden;y got a credit card that I'm gonna have to destroy means I've
                                            got a lot of other stuff at hand's reach.

                                            Liked the Angels of Light cd and the Gira/Matz collaboration What We
                                            Did muchly.
                                            Finding out that I've got a new friend who's pretty partial to
                                            krautrock too.

                                            I reccommend Dublin's Tycho Brahe, but I think I've done that once
                                            recently.
                                            Alo a pretty raw mod band from Leeds UK called the Uptight
                                            and a local band called the Black mariahs who are pretty rock and
                                            roll, early 70s who/Jazz etc etc.
                                            Stevo
                                            Np Savage REpublic Tragic Figures plus Tragic Figure/Empty Quarter
                                          • Chris Hill
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Dec 5, 2003
                                              Stevo wrote:

                                              > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
                                              > > "Lush Jazz Butcher" makes me think that old guitarist Max
                                              > (responsible for
                                              > > most of the jazzy parts of the mid-80s recordings) rejoined the
                                              > band at
                                              > > some point. Haven't heard anything....
                                              > >
                                              > > Carl Z.
                                              >
                                              > Are Jazz Butcher highly regarded over here then?

                                              As far as US fans go, I think they're a well-kept secret, but on the
                                              indiepop list, a lot of people know and like them.

                                              Chris
                                              np: the Stills
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Dec 6, 2003
                                                --On Friday, December 5, 2003 7:45 PM +0000 Stevo <Stuggy@...>
                                                wrote:

                                                > Are Jazz Butcher highly regarded over here then?

                                                I'm quite partial to the _Bloody Nonsense_ comp Big Time put out in 1986.
                                                Wish it existed on CD.