Clip: Yo La Tengo: No Hanukkah In Hoboken

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2003
      http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/03-12/01.shtml#story2

      Yo La Tengo: No Hanukkah In Hoboken
      Band only had enough amp oil for two nights

      [Posted Monday, December 1st, 2003 04:00:00 Pitchfork Central Time]

      Chris Leslie-Hynan reports:
      Yo La Tengo have decided not to perform their annual eight-night Hanukkah
      stint at Maxwell's in Hoboken, NJ this year, according to a post on the
      group's official website. "It was a difficult decision to make, and we're
      not going to provide much in the way of details, although we will
      categorically deny that the competition between James' mom and Ira's mom
      for whose hamentashen we preferred last Purim had anything to do with our
      decision." Oy!! Watch out Woody Allen, the Jewish comedy niche has some new
      masters.

      Instead of the elaborate eight-night Hanukkah stunt, which for the past two
      years has included rounding up guest performers (Ray Davies, David Byrne,
      Ronnie Spector, the Sun Ra Arkestra, Portastatic, and the Ladybug
      Transistor) and emcees (Janeane Garofalo, David Cross, Sarah Silverman,
      Girls Guitar Club, etc), Yo La Tengo will kick off December with a string
      of dates in Japan and an appearance at The Onion's Christmas party December
      16th. Trumped again by The Onion! We'll be lucky if we can get a Broken
      Social Scene cover band at Pitchfork's year-end hoedown (though former
      editor Chris Ott's almost criminally toxic punch is a must).

      Yo La Tengo will play a single gig at Maxwell's on New Years' Eve,
      presumably capturing all of the drunken, kosher holiday madness in one
      decadent evening. In February and March, the group will depart for a UK
      tour supported by Welsh act Gorky's Zygotic Mynci. Yo La Tengo recently
      released an EP entitled Today Is the Day!, and are currently at work
      fulfilling a lifelong ambition to remix eight minutes of torrential
      feedback into the closing song of the Charlie Brown Christmas Special.
      Dates (all 2004 shows with Gorky's Zygotic Mynci):

      12-01 Nagoya, Japan - Club Quattro
      12-02 Osaka, Japan - Club Quattro
      12-03 Tokyo, Japan - Club Quattro
      12-04 Tokyo, Japan - Club Quattro
      12-16 Brooklyn, NY - North Six (The Onion Christmas party)
      12-31 Hoboken, NJ - Maxwell's
      02-28 Cardiff, Wales - St. David's Hall
      03-01 London, England - Shepherd's Bush Empire
      03-02 Brighton, England - Brighton Dome
      03-03 Basingstoke, England - The Anvil
      03-04 Northampton, England - Roadmenders
      03-05 Liverpool, England - Liverpool Philharmonic Hall
      03-06 Quarry Hill, England - West Yorkshire Playhouse
      03-07 Leicester, England - De Montfort Hall
      03-09 Glasgow, Scotland - The Arches
      03-10 Edinburgh, Scotland - Usher Hall
      03-11 Coventry, England - Warwick Arts Center

      .: Pitchfork Review: Yo La Tengo: Summer Sun
      .: Pitchfork Review: Yo La Tengo: Today Is the Day! EP
      .: Pitchfork News: Yo La Tengo Set A Date For Today
      .: Yo La Tengo: www.yolatengo.com
      .: Matador: www.matadorrecords.com
    • Barry Mazor
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2003
        --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:

        > Yo La Tengo: No Hanukkah In Hoboken
        > Band only had enough amp oil for two nights

        See now; we leave town, things happen.

        -Barry M, former reident