Re: [fearnwhiskey] 2003 favorites?

  • Kevin J. Hosey
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 30, 2003
      With finances rather tight, this is the lowest year for CD purchases
      for me in a long time, so I haven't heard as much new music as I would
      have liked.
      Like most people, I also have some CDs that need to be listened to
      more before I can get a better accounting of 2003, but here goes my
      favorite/the best for now, in no particular order yet:

      Big Sandy and His Fly-Rite Boys, It's Time
      Richard Thompson, Old Kit Bag
      Hammell on Trial, Tough Love
      Steve Wynn and The Miracle 3, Static Transmission (although not as good
      as Here Comes the Miracles, IMHO)
      Kathleen Edwards, Failer

      Possibilities:
      Eddie "The Chief" Clearwater featuring Los Straitjackets, Rock N Roll
      City
      Ani DiFranco, Educated Guess
      Warren Zevon, The Wind

      Kevin
    • sleeploss_dreams
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 1, 2003
        --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
        Without having done much thought, 2003 seems like a real
        > strong year for new releases...
        >
        > Carl Z.

        The new Iron and Wine album is really knocking me over this year.

        James
      • David Siegel
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 1, 2003
          here's 20 (off the top of my head, in relative order)-

          ted leo - hearts of oak
          the wrens - meadowlands
          the shins - chutes too narrow
          outkast - speakerboxxx/the love below
          grandaddy - sumday
          the new pornographers - electric version
          the long winters - when i pretend to fall
          the postal service - give up
          my morning jacket - it still moves
          belle & sebastian - dear catastrophe waitress
          the constantines - shine a light
          fountains of wayne - welcome interstate managers
          the decemberists - her majesty...
          death cab for cutie - transatlanticiscm
          fiery furnaces - gallowsbird's bark
          patrick park - loneliness knows my name
          atmosphere - seven's travels
          beulah - yoko
          calexico - feast of wire
          non-prophets - hope
        • Steve Gardner
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 2, 2003
            That's it. Worst year ever for me. ;-)
            ==

            I think this has been a great year for music. I haven't made a list yet, but
            here are some Top Ten possibilities (now if I could only find out how to
            shoehorn them all in):

            Virgil Shaw "Still Falling"
            Decemberists "Castaways and Cutouts"
            Dolorean "Not Exotic"
            Kathleen Edwards "Failer"
            The Rapture "Echoes"
            Boxing "Way Down East"
            Willie Nelson "Crazy: The Demo Sessions"
            Death Cab for Cutie "Transatlancticism"
            Cory Branan "The Hell You Say"
            Com.a "Shot of Love"
            Jesse Harris and the Ferdinandos "The Secret Sun"
            Jayhawks "Rainy Day Music"
            Postal Service "Give Up"
            Magnolia Electric Co "Magnolia Electric Co"
            Drive-By Truckers "Decoration Day"
            Eels "Shootenanny"
            Tommy Womack "Washington DC"
            Grandaddy "Sumday"
            Thad Cockrell "Warmth and Beauty"
            Frog Holler "Railings"
            Fountains of Wayne "Welcome Interstate Managers"
            My Morning Jacket "It Still Moves"
            Ted Leo "Hearts of Oak" and "Tell Balgeary, Balgury is Dead"
            Shins "Chutes Too Narrow"
            David Dondero "The Transient"
            D4 "6Twenty"
            Thermals "More Parts Per Million"

            whew,
            steve
          • Chris Hill
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 2, 2003
              Haven't seen the latest Pernice Brothers mentioned yet, which is
              surprises me. Joe Pernice continues to put out quality stuff.
              That one & others that I don't think have been mentioned which I'm
              mulling over for the year-end list. No order.

              the Sleepy Jackson - Lovers (Oz band, brilliant combo of classic
              influences and styles)
              the Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site (rock/pop, great lyrics, and
              a pedal steel)
              Styrofoam - I'm What's There to Show That Something's
              Missing / A Heart Without a Mind EP (German electronica, warm!)
              Pernice Brothers - Yours, Mine and Ours ("Baby in Two", an '03 fave.
              Perversely disappointing for being so immediately fantastic.)
              Shack - ...Here's Tom with the Weather (possibly the best of this
              list as far as a whole *album* vibe goes, this is still an
              import afaik)
              Gemma Hayes - Night on my Side (Irish singer, more muscle in the
              music than the average, an '02 import/'03 domestic)
              Wheat - Per Second Per Second Per Second Every Second (glossier
              than their last two, the skeleton's still hook-filled)
              Ulrich Schnauss - A Strangely Isolated Place (German electronica,
              good relaxing/energizing vibe, mostly instrumentals)
              Paddy McAloon - I Trawl the Megahertz (Prefab Sprout singer, feels
              more like an experiment than an album, many serene moments)
              Mark Eitzel - The Ugly American (amazed how much I like the Greek
              instrumentation to the classic AMC tracks - "Western Sky" !!)
              Frames - Set List / The Roads Outgrown (nothing new this year but
              the "Fake" single, this year's "Where have I been??" winner)
              the Jealous Sound - Kill Them With Kindness (emo pop/rock, many good
              hooks, fave line = "you're a crisis with a backbeat")
              the Stills - Logic Will Break Your Heart (favorite of the "The..."
              bands this year)
              Lali Puna - Left Handed single (a Notwist-related band, the title
              track is a top 3 fave this year, new album in early '04)
              Appleseed Cast - Two Conversations (another emo/rock band, more good
              hooks)
              British Sea Power - The Decline of British Sea Power (did this come
              out in '02 in the U.K.?, good live show)
              Downpilot - Leaving not Arriving (local band a lot of list folk
              would dig, particularly any who've heard the Sanford Arms cd)
              Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It in People (Canada '02 release,
              '03 down here, eclectic and wonderful)

              and a few relative disappointments:

              Paul Westerberg - Come Feel Me Tremble
              Grandpaboy - Dead Man Shake
              (I'll keep buying PW's stuff as long as he puts it out, but I'd
              sure love to hear his ideas polished and produced, with some
              band interaction again)

              Josh Rouse - 1972 (a few memorable songs, nostalgic production,
              but the album's tanked by the appalling "Slaveship" love
              metaphor - coming soon, "Baby, you're the Bataan Death March"?
              His first (and easily my fave) album recedes in the past...)

              Chris
              np: Rich Hopkins & Luminarios, Ka-Ju-Tah
            • Chris Hill
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 2, 2003
                > np: Rich Hopkins & Luminarios, Ka-Ju-Tah

                Hey, Carl Z -

                You might be interested in this one - Steve Wynn guests on a track.
                Nothing remarkable, midtempo stomp-guitar rock (with a cowbell?),
                but if you're a completist...

                Chris
              • Andy Benham
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 2, 2003
                  On 2 Dec 2003 at 5:25, Chris Hill wrote:

                  > British Sea Power - The Decline of British Sea Power (did this come
                  > out in '02 in the U.K.?, good live show)

                  No, fairly certain it came out this year. Finally got to see them last
                  Friday after several near misses, cancellations etc. And very good
                  they were too. The lead singer reminded me of a cross between
                  Brett Anderson and Jim Kerr.
                  Incidentally the support were called The Killers, who apparently
                  come from Las Vegas. Suffered from a Psychedelic Furs overdose
                  to my ears. If I see one more post punk band in buttoned up black
                  shirts and floppy fringes, well there'll be hell to pay.....

                  > Downpilot - Leaving not Arriving (local band a lot of list folk
                  > would dig, particularly any who've heard the Sanford Arms cd)

                  Waiting for MOM to deliver this along with Two Cow Garage and The
                  Shins
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 2, 2003
                    --On Tuesday, December 2, 2003 5:25 AM -1100 Chris Hill <chillout@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Haven't seen the latest Pernice Brothers mentioned yet, which is
                    > surprises me. Joe Pernice continues to put out quality stuff.

                    I don't know why, but _Yours, Mine & Ours_ just didn't grab me. Maybe I
                    had unrealistic expectations after loving _The World Won't End_, as the
                    production and harmonies sound great. I never got into the songs...

                    Chris then said
                    >> np: Rich Hopkins & Luminarios, Ka-Ju-Tah
                    >
                    > Hey, Carl Z -
                    >
                    > You might be interested in this one - Steve Wynn guests on a track.
                    > Nothing remarkable, midtempo stomp-guitar rock (with a cowbell?),
                    > but if you're a completist...

                    Y'know, I was about to ask what this was like when I saw your last post.
                    Is Hopkins the guy who sometimes works with Barbara Manning?

                    Carl Z.
                  • Andy Benham
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
                      On 30 Nov 2003 at 11:56, Carl Zimring wrote:

                      Without having done much thought, 2003 seems like a real
                      > strong year for new releases...
                      >
                      > Carl Z.

                      Not too many UK releases mentioned so far. So here's 10 + 1 I've
                      liked this year. So FWIW

                      Mos Eisley - The get up set
                      Reynolds - Love songs
                      Alisdair Roberts - Farewell sorrow
                      Pip Dylan - Of all the things I can eat....
                      British Sea Power - The decline of.....
                      Camera Obscura - Underachievers, please try harder
                      Broken Family Band - Cold water songs
                      Rock of Travolta - Uluru
                      Wisdom of Harry - Torch division
                      ballboy - The sash my father wore
                      Elbow - Cast of thousands

                      and close behind - RT, Zephyrs, Havenots, Peter Bruntnell, Jim
                      Moray

                      And to redress the balance 10 + 1 from USA

                      Bonnie Prince Billy - Master and everyone
                      Calla - Televise
                      Calexico - Feast of wire
                      Devics - The stars at Saint Andrea
                      Califone - quicksand/cradlesnakes
                      Noahjohn - Water hymns
                      Willard Grant Conspiracy - Regard the end
                      Gillian Welch - Soul journey
                      The Decemberists - Castaways and cutouts
                      My Morning Jacket - It still moves
                      South San Gabriel - Welcome, convalescence

                      and close behind - DBT, Steve Wynn, M.Ward, Faraway Places,
                      Okkervil River, Josh Rouse, Explosions in the sky

                      From elsewhere

                      The sleepy jackson - Lovers
                      Herman Dune - Mas Cambios
                      Herman Dune - Mash concrete, metal mushroom

                      And if I had to pick 2 from those I'd probably say Reynolds and
                      South San Gabriel.

                      Some reissues and comps.

                      Trembling blue stars - A certain evening light
                      V/A - Gone fishin, A Wichita compilation
                      V/A - Rough Trade Shops, Post Punk 1
                      V/A - Rough Trade Shops, Country 1
                      Television - Marquee moon
                      V/A - 25 Rough Trade, Stop me if you've heard this before

                      And finally 5 shows amongst many

                      Gillian Welch @ Irish Centre, Birmingham
                      Gotan Project @ Summer Sundae, Leicester
                      Richard Buckner @ Ceol Castle, Birmingham
                      My Morning Jacket/South San Gabriel @ Rescue Rooms,
                      Nottingham
                      Soul Brothers @ MAC Arena, Birmingham

                      and finally, finally the worst 30 quid I've ever spent

                      Bob Dylan @ NEC Arena, Birmingham

                      Andy
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
                        I like it when Andy posts what he's listening to, because he never fails to
                        mention stuff I've never heard of, much less heard!

                        Carl Z.

                        --On Wednesday, December 3, 2003 2:32 PM +0000 Andy Benham
                        <a.s.benham@...> wrote:

                        > From elsewhere
                        >
                        > The sleepy jackson - Lovers
                        > Herman Dune - Mas Cambios
                        > Herman Dune - Mash concrete, metal mushroom
                      • ahacksaw1
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
                          <cz28@a...> wrote:
                          > I like it when Andy posts what he's listening to, because he
                          never fails to
                          > mention stuff I've never heard of, much less heard!

                          Andy is bad for my wallet, though good for my eardrums. Fresh
                          from purchasing a ballboy CD, largely on his recommendation, I
                          decided to give Downpilot a listen. Mmm...dreamy and downbeat
                          and intricate, just my sort of thing. I'll be ordering it momentarily,
                          thanking and cursing Andy simultaneously as I do so.
                        • Lisa
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
                            --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Benham" <a.s.benham@b...>
                            wrote:
                            >> Some reissues and comps.

                            > Trembling blue stars - A certain evening light

                            I love reading Andy's lists. If I ever have any extra money (yeah
                            right), I am going to buy Ballboy. I really like what I have heard.

                            I found the Trembling Blue Stars "Broken by Whispers" in the $2 bin
                            at a used record store and I love it. What other ones are good?

                            Did you like South's new one, Andy? Another one that I really liked
                            but it may be too Britpop for you <g>

                            Lisa, way too busy today
                          • Chris Hill
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 3, 2003
                              Lisa wrote:

                              > I found the Trembling Blue Stars "Broken by Whispers" in the $2 bin
                              > at a used record store and I love it. What other ones are good?

                              _Alive to Every Smile_, the last studio disc was an '01 fave. "Haunted
                              Days", "St. Paul's Cathedral At Night", "The Ghost of an Unkissed Kiss" -
                              all stellar. Before that, bearing in mind I'm not an uber-fan, the TBS
                              albums and the Field Mice albums (TFM begat TBS) blend together in
                              my head. I'm sure early fans could point out the differences.

                              And that Ballboy album is worth the buy. Isn't the U.S. release a comp
                              of various Ballboy EPs, plus some extras? Anyhow, it's very pleasant.
                              Used "A Europewide Search of Love" on my year-end songs comp - not
                              representative of the whole, like a lush Jazz Butcher track. The album
                              as a whole strikes me like JB vs. Snow Patrol. Haven't bought their new
                              one yet, but I will.

                              Too little impulse control, too much music. Ordered the new Aluminum
                              Group today, only available through the label prior to its Jan '04 release.
                              Nice to have those bands one'll buy unheard.

                              Chris
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                                --On Wednesday, December 3, 2003 5:26 PM -0800 Chris Hill
                                <chillout@...> wrote:

                                > And that Ballboy album is worth the buy. Isn't the U.S. release a comp
                                > of various Ballboy EPs, plus some extras? Anyhow, it's very pleasant.
                                > Used "A Europewide Search of Love" on my year-end songs comp - not
                                > representative of the whole, like a lush Jazz Butcher track.

                                "Lush Jazz Butcher" makes me think that old guitarist Max (responsible for
                                most of the jazzy parts of the mid-80s recordings) rejoined the band at
                                some point. Haven't heard anything....

                                Carl Z.
                              • Andy Benham
                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                                  On 4 Dec 2003 at 0:12, Lisa wrote:

                                  > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Benham" <a.s.benham@b...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >> Some reissues and comps.
                                  >

                                  > > Trembling blue stars - A certain evening light
                                  >

                                  > I love reading Andy's lists. If I ever have any extra money (yeah
                                  > right), I am going to buy Ballboy. I really like what I have heard.
                                  >
                                  > I found the Trembling Blue Stars "Broken by Whispers" in the $2 bin
                                  > at a used record store and I love it. What other ones are good?

                                  Chris's suggestion is about right. The cd I mentioned is a comp. of
                                  lots of early singles, b sides etc

                                  > Did you like South's new one, Andy? Another one that I really liked
                                  > but it may be too Britpop for you <g>

                                  Can't say I've heard them. Will keep my ears peeled.

                                  Andy
                                • Andy Benham
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                                    On 3 Dec 2003 at 23:05, ahacksaw1 wrote:

                                    > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring
                                    > <cz28@a...> wrote:
                                    > > I like it when Andy posts what he's listening to, because he
                                    > never fails to
                                    > > mention stuff I've never heard of, much less heard!
                                    > >
                                    > Andy is bad for my wallet, though good for my eardrums. Fresh
                                    > from purchasing a ballboy CD, largely on his recommendation, I
                                    > decided to give Downpilot a listen. Mmm...dreamy and downbeat
                                    > and intricate, just my sort of thing. I'll be ordering it momentarily,
                                    > thanking and cursing Andy simultaneously as I do so.

                                    Thats a different reaction. Normally people just pat me on the head,
                                    sit me down in a corner allow me to rabbit on uncontrollably about
                                    music without taking a blind bit of notice.

                                    Andrew Benham
                                    Email A.S.Benham@...
                                    Tel.No. 0121 414 4126 (work)
                                    Tel.No. 0121 414 0655 (home)
                                  • Andy Benham
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                                      On 3 Dec 2003 at 17:26, Chris Hill wrote:

                                      > And that Ballboy album is worth the buy. Isn't the U.S. release a comp
                                      > of various Ballboy EPs, plus some extras?

                                      Thats the first album _ Club Anthems_. Since then _A guide to the
                                      daylight hours_ has been released, including _Sex is boring_,_Avant
                                      garde music_ and _I lost you but I found country music_. I think its
                                      been released in the US. The latest _The sash my father wore_ is a
                                      quieter more intimate affair, lacking in the WP style guitars, but no
                                      worse for it. It also contains a rather good version of _Born in the
                                      USA_.
                                      I've seen ballboy twice over the last couple of weeks. The first an
                                      emotional last gig for Katie (the keyboard player). Also on the bill
                                      were Airport Girl and Bearsuit. Expect me to be raving about new
                                      material from them in the near future.

                                      > Too little impulse control, too much music.

                                      Tell me about. I have 2' stack of cds to listen to at the moment.
                                    • ahacksaw1
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                                        <a.s.benham@b...> wrote:

                                        > Thats a different reaction. Normally people just pat me on the
                                        head,
                                        > sit me down in a corner allow me to rabbit on uncontrollably
                                        about
                                        > music without taking a blind bit of notice.

                                        Well, I hope you'll continue to rabbit on, even if your doing so
                                        does cost me money. <g> But in the credit where credit is due
                                        department, I should note that Chris Hill was (I think) the first
                                        person to mention Downpilot here. I pay attention to his
                                        recommendations too, and in this case, I think it was the
                                        cumulative effect that prodded me to go and listen, and buy.
                                      • Andy Benham
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Dec 4, 2003
                                          On 4 Dec 2003 at 15:42, ahacksaw1 wrote:

                                          > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Benham"
                                          > <a.s.benham@b...> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Thats a different reaction. Normally people just pat me on the
                                          > head,
                                          > > sit me down in a corner allow me to rabbit on uncontrollably
                                          > about
                                          > > music without taking a blind bit of notice.
                                          > >
                                          > Well, I hope you'll continue to rabbit on, even if your doing so
                                          > does cost me money. <g> But in the credit where credit is due
                                          > department, I should note that Chris Hill was (I think) the first
                                          > person to mention Downpilot here. I pay attention to his
                                          > recommendations too, and in this case, I think it was the
                                          > cumulative effect that prodded me to go and listen, and buy.

                                          Absolutely, and to prove the point also on my MOM order is a Texas
                                          Instruments cd that I thought I'd give a go on the strength of talk
                                          here. The fact it was only $5 also helped.Andrew Benham
                                          Email A.S.Benham@...
                                          Tel.No. 0121 414 4126 (work)
                                          Tel.No. 0121 414 0655 (home)
                                        • Stevo
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Dec 5, 2003
                                            --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
                                            > "Lush Jazz Butcher" makes me think that old guitarist Max
                                            (responsible for
                                            > most of the jazzy parts of the mid-80s recordings) rejoined the
                                            band at
                                            > some point. Haven't heard anything....
                                            >
                                            > Carl Z.

                                            Are Jazz Butcher highly regarded over here then?
                                            Only things I remember about them are meeting them in Groningen when
                                            I was at a gig headlined by Einsturzebde Neubauten and that the guy
                                            who went on to play bass in Levitation then Dark Star was an ex-member
                                            Stevo
                                            Np Savage Republic Tragic Figures plus Mobilization
                                          • Stevo
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Dec 5, 2003
                                              --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
                                              I wanna know the music you've enjoyed
                                              > this year.
                                              Not sure about what I bought this year from this year.

                                              Have been getting heavily into The Moodists tw fisted art over the
                                              last week. That actually came out end of last year and was recorded
                                              about 19 years earlier.
                                              I've been pretty retro this year UI nthink, currently discovering mid
                                              80s heavy guitar stuff as well as jazz, 60s psych, whatever folk etc.

                                              sudden;y got a credit card that I'm gonna have to destroy means I've
                                              got a lot of other stuff at hand's reach.

                                              Liked the Angels of Light cd and the Gira/Matz collaboration What We
                                              Did muchly.
                                              Finding out that I've got a new friend who's pretty partial to
                                              krautrock too.

                                              I reccommend Dublin's Tycho Brahe, but I think I've done that once
                                              recently.
                                              Alo a pretty raw mod band from Leeds UK called the Uptight
                                              and a local band called the Black mariahs who are pretty rock and
                                              roll, early 70s who/Jazz etc etc.
                                              Stevo
                                              Np Savage REpublic Tragic Figures plus Tragic Figure/Empty Quarter
                                            • Chris Hill
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Dec 5, 2003
                                                Stevo wrote:

                                                > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
                                                > > "Lush Jazz Butcher" makes me think that old guitarist Max
                                                > (responsible for
                                                > > most of the jazzy parts of the mid-80s recordings) rejoined the
                                                > band at
                                                > > some point. Haven't heard anything....
                                                > >
                                                > > Carl Z.
                                                >
                                                > Are Jazz Butcher highly regarded over here then?

                                                As far as US fans go, I think they're a well-kept secret, but on the
                                                indiepop list, a lot of people know and like them.

                                                Chris
                                                np: the Stills
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Dec 6, 2003
                                                  --On Friday, December 5, 2003 7:45 PM +0000 Stevo <Stuggy@...>
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > Are Jazz Butcher highly regarded over here then?

                                                  I'm quite partial to the _Bloody Nonsense_ comp Big Time put out in 1986.
                                                  Wish it existed on CD.