Re: [fearnwhiskey] Re:Texas instruments (was Pitchfork's Top 100 of the 1990s revisited)

  • David Atteberry
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 26, 2003
      Was that professor named Philip Barnard, by any chance?

      No, it was Barry Shank who wrote an excellent book on the music scene in Austin ("Dissonant Identities")and was a Long Ryder. Along with an encyclopedic knowledge of music he was an incredible professor and advisor in the Amer. Studies dept.

      Lawrence has a number of cool former Austinites. At one time I had Barry for a class and worked in a bookstore that was managed by Bo from the Wild Seeds.

      As far as Philip Barnard goes, I took an independent readings class with him my last semester and he put me through academic bootcamp for sixteen weeks. A few months later we went to Twangfest and put me through alcohol bootcamp. One night he literally drank me under the table. He also had a way of always getting me to stand right in front of those damn sprinklers right before they came on.

      While I'm on the subject of Lawrence I can tie in another recent thread -- the cover of the Stull ep (which I still like)was photographed in Stull Ks which is about five mile NW of Lawrence. Pictured is a burned out old church that is supposedly one of the seven places Satan appeard on earth. There are all kinds of weird legends about the place. One of them says that you can't break a bottle against one of the walls. Me and some friends tried this one night but we were really loaded and uh...we only had three bottles. So this can neither be confirmed or denied.

      Finally, I hope every one has a tryptophan-tastic holiday.

      David

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT