Re: new Farrar > new Flaming Lips

  • wfsilvers
    Message 1 of 55 , Aug 4, 2002

      Dave Purcell wrote:
      > I agree, Lance. I saw SV three or four times for first couple of
      > records, from small (Schuba's) to big (Park West) rooms, and they
      got more boring each time. I have a hard time digging bands who suck
      > live, so I stopped going. And I've never seen Farrar solo, based on
      > the awful reviews friends have given me. But I've been able to enjoy
      > his & SV's work a lot more ever since. Geez, isn't part of the idea
      > of a concert to attract people to your music? ;-)

      Just FWIW (and not simply to be contrary), I've felt pretty much the
      same way you guys have about SV live ("SV live" is almost an
      oxymoron). But in early 2001 I grabbed the readily-available files of
      Jay Farrar performing live in the UK, and later the SEBASTOPOL demos,
      and I quite liked them. When Farrar (with Mark Spencer) headlined in
      St Louis last November, we made the trip (Gillian Welch was opening,
      so it was a no-brainer) and I thought the live performance was really
      very entertaining- way better than I expected. Blame it on the home
      field advantage, increased comfort level, whatever, but that night at
      least one long-time Farrar denigrator left quite happy with what he'd
      paid to see. I don't know whether it makes it better or not, knowing
      that he's capable of entertaining live shows, given that I wouldn't
      expect to see the same thing if he was playing KC tonight (for
      instance), but there you go.

      b.s.

      np Royals 4, Twinks 3 top 8th
    • jlswedberg
      Message 55 of 55 , Aug 16, 2002
        Yeah, kind of! Of course, I already sold the record back, so I can't
        listen to it *again* to be sure. <g>

        --Jamie "gosh, that was quick" S.