next Tuesday's new releases & reissues

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 11, 2003
      Some Chicago-based reissues of interest, with the Sundowners' set and
      Delmark's comp of jazz...

      Carl Z.

      ***

      http://www.icemagazine.com/dates/release200.asp

      new releases
      november 18

      +/- You Are Here (Teen Beat)

      Biz Markie Weekend Warrior (ICE #200) (Tommy Boy)

      Clear Horizon Clear Horizon (ICE #200) (Kranky)

      Flaming Lips Ego-Tripping at the Gates of Hell (CD/DVD combo; ICE #200)
      (Reprise)

      The Flying Luttenbachers Systems Emerge from Complete Disorder (Troubleman)

      Al Green I Can't Stop (ICE #201) (Blue Note)

      Corey Harris Mississippi to Mali (ICE #199) (Rounder)

      The Minders The Future Is Always Perfect (Future Farmer)

      Dean Roberts Be Mine Tonight (ICE #200) (Kranky)

      Yellowman New York (Sanctuary/Ras)

      DVD They Might Be Giants Gigantic (A Tale of Two Johns) (ICE #200)
      (Plexifilm/Bonfire)

      DVD Audio Robert Cray Band Time Will Tell (ICE #201) (Silverline)

      DVD Audio Living Colour Collideøscope (ICE #201) (Silverline)

      DVD Audio The Mavericks The Mavericks (ICE #201) (Silverline)

      from the vaults
      november 18

      Arab on Radar Queen Hygiene II/Rough Day at the Orifice (two-fer) (Three.
      One. G)

      The Aranbee Pop Symphony Orchestra Today's Pop Symphony - Under the
      Direction of Keith Richards (Fuel 2000)

      The Beatles Let It Be... Naked (two CDs; ICE #199/200/201) (Apple/Capitol)
      and The Beatles Box (12 CDs; ICE #200) (Sanctuary) and Kingdom Come
      (Sanctuary/Castle)

      Jimmy Bryant Frettin' Fingers: The Lightning Guitar of (three CDs; ICE
      #199) (Sundazed)

      Johnny Cash Original Sun Sound of (Varèse Vintage)

      Aretha Franklin You Grow Closer (Universal Special Products)

      Aimee Mann Lost in Space Special Edition (two CDs; ICE #201) (SuperEgo)

      Buck Owens & His Buckaroos Dust on Mother?s Bible (ICE #199) (Sundazed)

      The Sundowners Chicago Country Legends (Bloodshot/Soundies Revival)

      Talking Heads Once in a Lifetime: The Box (three-CD, one-DVD set; ICE #199)
      (Rhino)

      Ernest Tubb Classics, Volume One (Varèse Vintage)

      VA Chicago Jazz and Chicago's Avant Today (Delmark)

      DVD Can Can DVD (ICE #199) (Mute)

      DVD Audio Flaming Lips Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (ICE #198) (Reprise)

      DVD Audio Carl Perkins Jet Propelled - 1978 Comeback (Silverline)
    • Justin Hopper
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 12, 2003
        >>Biz Markie Weekend Warrior (ICE #200) (Tommy Boy)

        Been jammin to this lately - in case any of you heard this silly rumor that
        Wesley Willis died, rest assured, his longtime hiphop alter-ego's doin' just
        fine...

        Justin Hopper
        Music Editor
        Pittsburgh City Paper
        650 Smithfield St., Ste. 2200
        Pittsburgh, PA 15222
        www.pghcitypaper.com
        phone: 412-316-3342 x165
        fax: 412-316-3388
        jhopper@...

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 12, 2003
          I never thought I'd say this about Biz Markie, but his arrangements are
          comparatively more subtle and sophisticated. (Though the limits to this
          sophistication are considerable, being that he wrote a song about boogers
          that is now lodged in my skull.)

          Carl Z.

          --On Wednesday, November 12, 2003 9:00 AM -0500 Justin Hopper

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 27 12:38 PM
            Culled from ICE. This reminds me, I'm planning on visiting a city with
            actual record stores (Pittsburgh to be precise) next month and may be doing
            some shopping. Any recent releases that scream to be picked up?

            Carl Z.

            ***

            http://www.icemagazine.com/dates/release205.asp

            new releases
            may 04

            Ryan Adams Love Is Hell (two-EP combo; ICE #200/201/206) (Lost Highway)

            The Beta Band Heroes to Zeros (ICE #206) (Astralwerks)

            David Cross It's Not Funny (Sub Pop)

            Amy Farris Anyway (ICE #205) (Yep Roc)

            Rosie Flores Single Rose (Durango Rose)

            Patterson Hood (of Drive-by Truckers) Killers & Stars (New West)

            Oliver Lake Steel Quartet (Passin' Thru)

            Los Lobos The Ride (w/Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, Ruben Blades, Bobby
            Womack, Mavis Staples and Richard Thompson; ICE #205) (Mammoth)

            Magnetic Fields i (ICE #205) (Nonesuch/Atlantic)

            Mission of Burma ONoffON (w/Bob Weston; ICE #204) (Matador)

            Willie Nelson Live at Billy Bob's Texas (CD/DVD combo; ICE #205) (Smith
            Music Group)

            Matt Pond PA Emblems (Altitude)

            The Divine Comedy Absent Friends (Nettwerk)

            University of Errors (w/ Soft Machine's David Allen) Jet Propelled
            Photographs (Cuneiform)

            Jim White Drill a Hole in That Substrate and Tell Me What You See (ICE
            #206) (Luaka Bop)

            VA Shanti Project Collection 3 (ICE #206) (Badman)

            DVD John Oates Live at the Historic Wheeler Opera House (w/bonus live CD;
            ICE #206) (Phunk Shui/dke)

            SACD Henry Kaiser and Wadada Leo Smith Yo Miles! - Sky Garden (two-disc
            hybrid; w/covers of Miles Davis songs from 1969-75) (Cuneiform)

            from the vaults
            may 04

            Beat Happening Dreamy (K)

            Glenn Branca Lesson No. 1 (w/bonus tracks and video; guests Thurston Moore
            and Lee Ranaldo; ICE #205) (Acute)

            The Mississippi Sheiks Roots N' Blues: Honey Babe Let the Deal Go Down -The
            Best of (ICE #206) (Columbia/Legacy)

            Dolly Parton Platinum & Gold (RLG/BMG Heritage)

            Pink Floyd The Final Cut (ICE #206) (Capitol)

            Pixies Wave of Mutilation: Best of (w/B-sides; ICE #205) (Beggars Banquet)

            The Rolling Stones Singles 1963-1965 (12-CD box set of rarities and
            B-sides) (ABKCO)

            Small Faces Hits, Misses, Thrashers & Crashers (two CDs w/B-sides) (Varèse
            Sarabande)

            Soft Machine Live in Paris, May 2nd, 1972 (two CDs) (Cuneiform)

            Throbbing Gristle The Taste of TG: A Beginners Guide to (best of) (Mute)

            VA Black Power: Music of a Revolution (two CDs; w/Gil Scott-Heron, The Last
            Poets, Malcolm X, Stokely Carmichael and others) (Shout! Factory)

            DVD Pixies Pixies (ICE #205) (Beggars Banquet)
          • Chris Hill
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 27 1:13 PM
              > Any recent releases that scream to be picked up?
              >
              > Carl Z.

              The new Sleep Station is very nice. A friend turned me on to it
              this weekend. http://www.sleep-station.com/ Can hear a Pernice
              "Overcome by Happiness" vibe on it, if that's a good name-drop.

              Also bought the new Paul Kelly (finally...) and Snow Patrol (it's
              a glossy step forward, more in the Doves/Coldplay vein than the
              rockier other cd of theirs that I have - I like it immediately)
              this last weekend. Would recommend either of them. Also bought the
              new Now It's Overhead - fine Nebraska indie-rock. Great production.
              Can't remember if the Mogis brothers worked on it, but they have a
              Midas touch.

              > Matt Pond PA Emblems (Altitude)

              Admittedly biased, but the guy who started the MPPA yahoogroups list
              says it's their best yet. There's also a 4 song EP they'll be
              selling on tour.

              > The Divine Comedy Absent Friends (Nettwerk)

              Yahoo! Neil played a song called "Idaho" during his Seattle stop,
              which'll be on one of this album's singles. Very catchy.

              Chris
              np: Morrissey, "Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself"
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 29 4:47 AM
                --On Tuesday, April 27, 2004 9:13 AM -1100 Chris Hill <chillout@...>
                wrote:

                > The new Sleep Station is very nice. A friend turned me on to it
                > this weekend. http://www.sleep-station.com/ Can hear a Pernice
                > "Overcome by Happiness" vibe on it, if that's a good name-drop.

                Thanks Chris -- it is a bit Pernice-y.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 15, 2004
                  Culled from ICE:

                  <http://www.icemagazine.com/dates/release208.asp>

                  new releases
                  July 20

                  By Divine Right Sweet Confusion (spinART)

                  The Dillinger Escape Plan Miss Machine (Relapse)

                  Fuck Those Are Not My Bongos (Future Farmer)

                  Horns of Happiness A Sea as a Shore (Secretly Canadian)

                  Normanoak Born a Black Diamond (Secretly Canadian)

                  The Pink Mountaintops (Jagjaguwar)

                  Todd Snider East Nashville Skyline (ICE #207) (Oh Boy)

                  VA Acuarela Songs 3 (compilation including Rivulets' "Waited for You")
                  (Acuarela Discos)

                  VA Bridge to Havana (CD/DVD combo; features Gladys Knight, Peter Frampton,
                  Peter Buck, Mick Fleetwood and more performing with Cuban musicians; ICE
                  #207) (Pyramid)

                  OST Japances (songs from Red Krayola film) (Drag City)

                  DVD Doors of the 21st Century L.A. Woman Live (new line-up performs 1971
                  album in its entirety; ICE #208) (Image Entertainment)

                  from the vaults
                  July 20

                  John Coltrane Traneing In (Prestige)

                  Eric Dolphy At the Five Spot, Volume One (New Jazz)

                  Faces Five Guys Walk Into a Bar... (four-CD box set; ICE #206) (Rhino)

                  Maynard Ferguson Hollywood, Hot, It's My Time, New Vintage, and Primal
                  Scream (ICE #208) (Wounded Bird)

                  Bobby Fuller Four Best of (Rhino/Del-Fi)

                  Ladytron 604 and Light & Magic (w/three live tracks and a remix; ICE #208)
                  (Emperor Norton/Rykodisc)

                  Low A Lifetime of Temporary Relief: B-Sides and Rarities (three CDs and
                  bonus DVD; ICE #207) (Chairkicker's Music)

                  Charles Mingus The Great Concert of Charles Mingus (two CDs; ICE #208)
                  (Verve)

                  Thelonious Monk Thelonious Himself (Riverside)

                  The Red Krayola Singles (Drag City)

                  Leon Redbone No Regrets, Red to Blue and Whistling in the Wind (Rounder)

                  Reddy Teddy Matthew McKenzie & Other Stories (Not Lame)

                  Sonny Rollins Worktime (Prestige)

                  Antony & the Johnsons Antony & the Johnsons (Secretly Canadian)

                  VA We Ain't Housewife Material - A Collection of All-Girl Garage, Rock and
                  Punk Groups (Dionysus)

                  SACD The Animals The Animals (ICE #208) (ABKCO)
                • Chris Hill
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 15, 2004
                    Carl, I know you're a fan of the Blue Nile. New album's
                    coming out in the UK 8/30 on Sanctuary. Haven't read a
                    date for the U.S. yet.

                    Chris
                    np: Zero 7 - When It Falls
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 15, 2004