Playlist for Morning Show Thursday on November 06, 2003

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2003
      Playlist for Morning Show Thursday on November 06, 2003

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      Etta James - Something's Got A Hold On Me - Birth Of Soul
      [ When you want to kick off a radio show with something that
      says instant good time, this will do the trick. - Just hearing that
      voice sing "Well sometimes, I get a feeling......" ]

      Outkast - Bowtie - Speakerboxxx*
      [ Hey, this is a change - a big-selling release that you feel
      you'll want to hear ten years from now - This is just one of what
      could be many big singles from this two-CD set ]

      The Upsetters - Return Of Django - Upsetter Collection
      [ An early Lee "Scratch" Perry production recorded in 1969 - For
      a really interesting & entertaining read about the Jamaican music
      industry (discussing Lee Perry, among others), read the chapter about
      Jamaica in the latest collection of Lester Bangs writings
      called "Main Lines, Blood Feasts, and Bad Taste: A Lester Bangs
      Reader" ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Don Covay & The Goodtimers - I Stole Some Love - Sanctified Soul
      [ He could do it all really well...write, sing, produce, &
      perform - He was a big influence on the vocals of Mick Jagger and
      everybody who likes 60s soul should own a copy of "Mercy Mercy: The
      Definitive Don Covay" ]

      Dusty Springfield - Tupelo Honey - Cameo
      [ I heard Steve Pick play a fine cover of this Van Morrison song
      by Little Milton on the Wednesday Morning Show so I thought I'd
      continue the theme. ]

      Curtis Mayfield - People Get Ready (Live) - Soul Legacy
      [ That comment earler about Don Covay being able to do it all?
      Well, Curtis Mayfield could do all that & more....he had his own
      label, Curtom, wrote tremendous songs (including many hits he wrote
      for others), had an amazing voice, played guitar incredibly
      well....as much as a genius as anybody has ever been in soul
      music. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Josh Rouse - 1972 - 1972*
      [ I've always found Josh Rouse's songs on recordings to be much
      more interesting than seeing him perform live. Now I'm hearing all
      kinds of great comments about his current live show so I hope he
      comes to St. Louis soon. This album is made up of intelligent pop
      songs and the two songs I've played on the air, so far, have both
      prompted people to phone in. Always a good sign. ]

      The Kinks - Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues - Muswell Hillbillies
      [ Seriously, there are so many good songs on this album that you
      can almost pick anything off it and it will sound good on the radio ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Shins - Saint Simon - Chutes Too Narrow*
      [ I just picked this up so I hadn't had time to listen to it yet
      but a friend in Seattle said this song was the most beautiful thing
      she's heard all year so that was good enough for me. Her assessment
      pretty much nails it. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album. ]

      Rufus Wainwright - 14th Street - Want One*
      [ Wow, what a well-written and arranged song song. Also seemed
      to make perfect sense (to me, anyway) following The Shins song. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Easybeats - Sorry - Nuggets - Vol II: Original Artyfacts From
      The British Empire & Beyond
      [ If you like really good 60s British rock, this is a good band
      to listen to. Produced by the likes of Glyn Johns (Rolling Stones)
      and Shel Talmy (The Who, Kinks). "Gonna Have A Good Time" on the
      Sindrome/Retroactive label is a recommended compilation of Easybeats
      songs. Maybe someday, I'll get my copy back from Roy Kasten. ]

      The Plimsouls - Women - The Plimsouls...Plus
      [ Fine version of the Easybeats song by the LA-based band
      fronted by Peter Case. I heard several bands doing Easybeats songs
      (like the Three O Clock covering "Sorry") long before I ever heard
      the Easybeats. ]

      The Bangles - Tear Off Your Own Head (It's A Doll Revolution) -
      Doll Revolution*
      [ Released domestically a few weeks ago even though KDHX DJs
      have been playing the import for months now. ]

      Palookaville - Jungle Fighter - Hand Of Fate*
      [ Appearing this Friday (11/7) along with the Rockhouse Ramblers
      at Off Broadway ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Faces - Ooh La La - Ooh La La
      [ All you have to do is hear the chorus "I wish that I knew what
      I know now, when I was younger," and you're hooked ]

      The Flamin' Groovies - Don't You Lie To Me - Groovies Greatest
      Grooves
      [ See comments about the Kink's "Muswell Hillbillies" ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Bobby Bare Jr's Young Criminals Starvation League - True Story -
      "OK - I'm Sorry"*
      [ This EP cries out "let's put something out to satisfy people
      until we have our next full-fledged recording completed." I like this
      version of the song OK which is a Shel Silverstein poem set to music
      and recorded by Bobby Bare, Jr. for a children's album (presumably,
      to scare the hell out of little kids) but the live version is so much
      better. Bobby Bare Jr's Young Criminals Starvation League show last
      night at Off Broadway rocked and rocked hard. They did a great (and I
      do mean great) version of "My Best Friend's Girl" that morphed
      into "Babo O' Riley", instrumental breaks & all. ]

      Steve Earle w/ Lucinda Williams - You're Still Standing There - I
      Feel Alright
      [ I think this is the best Lucinda Williams vocal I've ever
      heard, for some reason. ]

      Rosanne Cash - On The Surface - Interiors
      [ Hopefully, most people don't relate to the lyrics of this song
      but I suspect most of us have at one time or another. Rosanne Cash's
      voice is just so damn beautiful. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Rockhouse Ramblers - Always Open - Torch This Town
      [ Appearing this Friday (11/7) with Palookaville at Off
      Broadway ]

      Sir Douglas Quintet - Mendocino -

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Otis Redding - You Left The Water Running - Otis! The Definitive
      Otis Redding
      [ Just another one of Dan Penn's songwriting masterpieces done
      justice by a stripped down Otis Redding recording. ]

      Joss Stone - Some Kind Of Wonderful - The Soul Sessions*

      Nikka Costa - Hope It Felt Good - Everybody Got Their Something
      [ It's been a while since this last recording. Hopefully,
      something new is in the works. Her show at The Pageant last year was
      one of 2002's most memorable shows. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Texas Tornados - She Never Spoke Spanish To Me - Texas Tornados
      [ It's been too long since I've played a Butch Hancock song.
      This is a really good version featuring the vocals of the late Doug
      Sahm. ]

      Los Lobos - Round & Round - Good Morning Aztlan
      [ O.K., I meant to play "What In The World" but this worked
      fine. This 2002 release was under appreciated and I don't know
      exactly why. ]

      Fontella Bass - The Soul Of A Man - Chess Soul
      [ This song was written by, arranged by, and tenor sax and piano
      was played by the late, great Oliver Sain. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Chris Bell - I Am The Cosmos - The Big Star Story*
      [ Since this is Chris Bell's first and only solo single, then
      I'd say he had a pretty good track record as a solo singles artist. ]

      The Long Winters - New Girl - When I Pretend To Fall*
      [ Yeah, I know I've played this a couple of other times on the
      Thursday Morning Show but it's a really good track. Pop hits o'
      plenty on this. Hey, "Pop Hits O'Plenty" - some power pop band ought
      to use that as an album title. ]

      [ So concludes another episode of the Thursday Morning Show.
      As usual, thanks for listening and/or reading the play list. ]