RE: [fearnwhiskey] Re: songs about globalization

  • Wilson, Carl
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 7, 2003
      My favourite Billy Bragg tune that's sort of on this subject is the
      little-known, Clash-style rant, "North Sea Bubble," which begins with the
      great line, "I went out drinking with Thomas Paine/ He said all revolutions
      are not the same."

      Also from Mermaid Ave. II, the perpetually applicable Guthrie/Bragg
      broadside, "All You Fascists Are Bound to Lose," which talks in global
      terms. And about half the songs on his last, "England/Half-English" deal
      with the subject more directly, though it's a spotty disc overall.

      carl w
    • Lance Davis
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 7, 2003
        What about the Mekons? Certainly they've covered this subject.

        LD

        =====
        "One good thing about music ... when it hits, you feel no pain."
        --Bob Marley

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
      • Wilson, Carl
        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 7, 2003
          At any mention of "Great Nations of Europe," I am forced to say "woo-hoo!"

          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 7, 2003
            A good list can be found here:
          • Wilson, Carl
            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 7, 2003
              Oops, let's try that again. A pretty good list, despite including some
              hippie-dippie crap, can be found here:

              http://www.rethinkingschools.org/publication/rg/RGResource01.shtml

              It includes Iris Dement's "Wasteland of the Free."

              carl w
            • Wilson, Carl
              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 7, 2003
                Others to check out on this theme and loosely related ones:

                Spearhead/Disposable Heroes of Hip-Hoprisy
                Lyrics Born's new "The Last Trumpet" ("Healthcare battles bio-engineering /
                for the worldwide scare of plague that we're fearing") (warning:
                controversial stuff on terrorism, i think, for most american students)
                Ozomatli
                Manu Chao
                Antibalas
                El Vez (seriously! sort of!)
                Springsteen's "Youngstown" ("From the Monongahela valley to the Mesabi iron
                range
                To the coal mines of Appalachia the story's always the same")
                Propaghandi's "Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes"
                Warsawpack (new Canadian band - Rage against the machine meets Acid jazz,
                which is not as bad as it sounds actually)
                Rickie Lee Jones' new "Tell Somebody (Repeal the Patriot Act)" (on "Evening
                of My Best Day," a fair return to form just out).
                Desaparecidos (Conor Oberst's punk band) - "$$$$" (" it's the dollar signs
                and the big bright lights inequality franchised every location is mine you
                just do your part form a line lets march under the golden arch march march
                march march"); "Manana" ("we will cover the earth like air and water
                tomorrow is blank well just fill it in with our little answers"); "The
                Happiest Place on Earth," and the rest of that Read Music/Speak Spanish lp
                Eric B. & Rakim, "Casualties of War" (1991 Gulf War rap)
                Clash, "I'm So Bored With the USA" (no gettin' round it)
                Caetano Veloso
                The soundtrack to the documentary "Life & Debt" (including Ziggy Marley,
                Mutabaruka, Peter Tosh and even Buju Banton(!))
                Radiohead, it has to be admitted
                Asian Dub Foundation, "Basta"
                etc
                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 8, 2003
                  --On Friday, November 7, 2003 10:43 AM -0800 Lance Davis
                  <lwdavis1@...> wrote:

                  > What about the Mekons? Certainly they've covered this subject.

                  Great suggestion, Lance. (And Jason.) The Mekons's "Memphis, Egypt" is,
                  aside from being one of The Great Rock Songs of the 1980s, a great
                  summation of the transition from the Cold War as they walk through the wall
                  into globalized capitalism. And _Oooh!_ works as a post-2001 take on the
                  cultural dimensions to globalization and its discontents.

                  "Great Nations of Europe?" Yeah, certainly for the links between the
                  development of the world economic system and late-20th century spins on
                  capital's crusades. So between Newman and the Mekons, I can use songs
                  marking transitions among three major periods of international economic
                  development.

                  With "Great Nations of Europe," "The World Isn't Fair," "Freud's
                  Impression," and a dozen others, Randy Newman is the historian's best
                  friend. Sometimes I wonder if he is partially responsible for my career
                  path.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 8, 2003
                    --On Friday, November 7, 2003 1:40 PM -0500 "Wilson, Carl"
                    <cwilson@...> wrote:

                    > My favourite Billy Bragg tune that's sort of on this subject is the
                    > little-known, Clash-style rant, "North Sea Bubble," which begins with the
                    > great line, "I went out drinking with Thomas Paine/ He said all
                    > revolutions are not the same."

                    _Don't Try This At Home_ is from start to finish my favorite Bragg record,
                    and though it's been a while since I've listened to it, there are a few
                    relevant details sprinkled throughout from the guy driving a Mitsubishi
                    Zero to the rumors of war and the bubble Carl W. references. And Bragg's
                    an obvious source for articulating the last days of the the Cold War...

                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 8, 2003
                      --On Friday, November 7, 2003 6:23 PM +0000 Nina Melechen
                      <melechen@...> wrote:

                      > Of course, if you want examples of pop music *as* globalization, there
                      > are lots of those, too. Paul Simon's Graceland album, Cornershop's
                      > version of "Norwegian Wood,"

                      Oh yeah. Cornershop is a fabulous example, especially as it became a hit
                      in England. Makes it a lot easier to track down than, say, Thai pop
                      versions of Madonna songs.

                      "Wilson, Carl" <cwilson@...> wrote:

                      > Paul Simon's Graceland album...
                      >
                      > true, though a lot of that album, much of which i think has held up beyond
                      > the controversy around its production, is actually *about* globalization,
                      > too, by fairly obvious inference. "these are the days of miracles and
                      > wonder, this is the long-distance call." i like that line. not actually
                      > that critical, much of the time, but still on the subject. i always assume
                      > "homeless" is a refugee-themed song, and "the myth of fingerprints" a
                      > post-colonial one.

                      The information overload depicted in "Boy in the Bubble" is at least mild
                      criticism, and articulated in the context of Simon's fusion sensibilities
                      works better as a state-of-the-mid-80s song than most. (Peter Gabriel's
                      "Games Without Frontiers" comes to mind as well.)

                      If you buy the argument that deindustrialization in the United States and
                      England in the 1980s was a necessary condition for the revitalization of
                      capitalism, scores of songs ranging from Bruce Springsteen's "The River" to
                      Simply Red's "Money's Too Tight To Mention" and gobs of songs from British
                      punks might be useful as context. (The film Letter to Brezhnev fits as
                      well -- I don't have time to fit all of this into the class I'm teaching,
                      but I'm tempted to design an interdisciplinary course with a lot more films
                      and songs in the future.)

                      Carl Z.
                    • Dave Purcell
                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 8, 2003
                        Carl W:

                        > My favourite Billy Bragg tune that's sort of on this subject is the
                        > little-known, Clash-style rant, "North Sea Bubble," which begins with
                        > the great line, "I went out drinking with Thomas Paine/ He said all
                        > revolutions are not the same."

                        That's a wonderful song. Speaking of Bragg, I just got my tix to see the
                        Tell Us The Truth tour in Indy next Wednesday. Can't wait...

                        dp
                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 8, 2003
                          --On Friday, November 7, 2003 1:56 PM -0500 "Wilson, Carl"
                          <cwilson@...> wrote:

                          > Oops, let's try that again. A pretty good list, despite including some
                          > hippie-dippie crap, can be found here:
                          >
                          > http://www.rethinkingschools.org/publication/rg/RGResource01.shtml
                          >
                          > It includes Iris Dement's "Wasteland of the Free."

                          And a couple of Bruce Cockburn's higher-profile songs, though you could
                          tack up most of Cockburn's records from about 1979 on a wall, put a
                          blindfold on, throw darts and wind up hitting relevant titles. His more
                          recent albums play up the speed of travel and communications theme more,
                          but his songs cover military brutality, to the influx of trucks and
                          factories in Latin America, and (as the URL above mentions) the role of the
                          IMF in keeping poor nations poor. (That song, by the way, was the first
                          one I know of that got labeled because of the PMRC's scrutiny over lyrics.
                          Go figure that after all the hand-wringing over WASP that a song about
                          geopolitics would be the first one labelled.)

                          Carl Z.
                        • Barry Mazor
                          Message 12 of 28 , Nov 12, 2003
                            I haven't been around much, so I mised this thread last week.

                            I'd nominate "I''d Like to Give the World a Coke..."

                            -Barry
                          • Rob Jefferson
                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 12, 2003
                              On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Barry Mazor wrote:

                              > I haven't been around much, so I mised this thread last week.
                              >
                              > I'd nominate "I''d Like to Give the World a Coke..."

                              Negativland did a cute skewering of that on their _Dispepsi_ album. Heck,
                              I think there are a bunch of good gems on there to be used during a
                              discussion of globalization.

                              rob
                            • cplewis@io.com
                              Message 14 of 28 , Nov 12, 2003
                                > Negativland did a cute skewering of that on their _Dispepsi_ album.

                                Mark Hosler of Negativland gave a really interesting lecture in DC this
                                past weekend that I was lucky to have found out about -- it was all part
                                of some law conference at American Univ's law school, and it was not
                                (really) open to the public.

                                In any case, he gave a rambling-but-awesome history of Negativland with
                                some rad videos for "U2" and "Guns". Apparently that's sort of how he
                                makes a living nowadays, going around and talking about the legal troubles
                                Negativland went through, and making people think about all that stuff.
                                Well worth seeking out if he's ever lecturing near you -- although I'm not
                                quite sure how you'd find out if he is (?).

                                Catherine.
                                Message 15 of 28 , Nov 13, 2003
                                  --On Wednesday, November 12, 2003 2:13 PM -0500 Rob Jefferson
                                  <jeffer@...> wrote:

                                  >> I'd nominate "I''d Like to Give the World a Coke..."
                                  >
                                  > Negativland did a cute skewering of that on their _Dispepsi_ album.
                                  > Heck, I think there are a bunch of good gems on there to be used during
                                  > a discussion of globalization.

                                  Maybe as a musical bed. Either the unadulterated or ironic Coke jingles
                                  are very good ideas.

                                  By the way, I've begun to use snippets of the suggestions in class this
                                  week. "Great Nations of Europe" helped kick things off and I plan on using
                                  the Mekons tomorrow, with other possibilities as we get closer to the 1990s
                                  in class. (We've covered 500 years of world trade and geopolitics this
                                  week, leading up to the late 1980s. The coverage will slow considerably
                                  from here.) One of the good things about Randy Newman is his songs are
                                  very short, so they don't take up too much class time; I may drop
                                  "Political Science" in somewhere...

                                  Carl Z.
                                • Wilson, Carl
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 13, 2003
                                    >One of the good things about Randy Newman is his songs are
                                    >very short, so they don't take up too much class time

                                    And concise, too, as Great Nations of Europe shows so well:

                                    "There were natives there called Guanches, Guanches by the score --
                                    Bullets, disease, the Portugese, and they weren't there any more."

                                    Yep, pretty much sums it up, Randy.

                                    (See here for an alternate take on that line, by the way:
                                    http://www.canoe.ca/JamMusicArtistsN/newman_randy_qanda3.html )
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Nov 14, 2003
                                      --On Thursday, November 13, 2003 6:41 PM -0500 "Wilson, Carl"
                                      <cwilson@...> wrote:

                                      >> One of the good things about Randy Newman is his songs are
                                      >> very short, so they don't take up too much class time
                                      >
                                      > And concise, too, as Great Nations of Europe shows so well:
                                      >
                                      > "There were natives there called Guanches, Guanches by the score --
                                      > Bullets, disease, the Portugese, and they weren't there any more."
                                      >
                                      > Yep, pretty much sums it up, Randy.

                                      Cliff's Notes couldn't whittle down Jared Diamond and William McNeill much
                                      more than that....