Re: [fearnwhiskey] Carmaig de Forest LIVE on WRCT tonight.

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2003
      --On Friday, November 7, 2003 8:53 AM -0500 Mock the DJ
      <mockthedj@...> wrote:

      > Who's Carmaig? Well, his first album was produced back in the '80s by
      > Alex Chilton, and his last was produced by Bob Wiseman. He's opening
      > for the Violent Femmes in Pittsburgh on Saturday night at their request.

      I first saw Carmaig open for Camper Van Beethoven in Porter Dining Hall on
      the UCSC campus in 1988. I had already figured out that Camper was prone
      to inviting weird acts to open for them (I never knew the trombone could be
      an obnoxious free-jazz instrument until I saw the Wrestling Worms), when I
      saw this crewcutted dude step up to the mike with a ukelele in his hands.
      I didn't know what to expect (though visions of Tiny Tim fresh out of the
      Marines went through my head), but over the next half hour he delivered
      some of the most scabrous, impassioned songs about love and politics I'd
      ever heard. Jello Biafra would have killed for Carmaig's songs about
      Reagan and the drug war and Carmaig threw in a cover of "Secret Agent Man"
      that rocked. He was the best act I ever saw play with Camper, and that
      includes the insanity of Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper at their peak.

      I've been a fan since, and every time Carmaig's put out a recording or done
      a show in my area (both rare events), I've made a point to catch him. I
      hope the blizzard up here doesn't knock out my internet connection tonight
      because I hope to hear him on WRCT.