Re: songs about globalization

  • ahacksaw1
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 5, 2003
      --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Carl A Zimring"
      <cz28@a...> wrote:
      > I am teaching a class about the various ways in which
      globalization is
      > defined, both positively and negatively. I'd like to show my
      students
      > some cultural examples. I've got a handle on novels and films
      ("Bend It
      > Like Beckham" being an example I'm looking forward to using),
      and I'd like
      > to poll the group here about some suitable songs. Anything
      you'd care to
      > recommend?

      There must be zillions, but off the top of my head: The Jam,
      "Trans-Global Express." Not a great song, but a noble sentiment.
    • Susan McTigue
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 5, 2003
        Carl wrote:

        > I am teaching a class about the various ways in which
        > globalization is defined, both positively and negatively.

        There is a political/satirist singer-songwriter named Roy
        Zimmerman who has a song called "One World, One Bank" that I
        think might fit the bill. It's pretty catchy, and the chorus goes:

        One world, one bank
        One insurance provider
        One big media conglomerate
        Run by one megalomaniac
        For your safety and convenience!!

        There are sound files on his website, and you can listen to this
        song (at the end of an online concert):

        http://www.roysongs.com/sounds/

        Susan
      • Nina Melechen
        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 6, 2003
          wrote:
          > I am teaching a class about the various ways in which globalization
          is
          > defined, both positively and negatively. I'd like to show my
          students
          > some cultural examples. I've got a handle on novels and films
          ("Bend It
          > Like Beckham" being an example I'm looking forward to using), and
          I'd like
          > to poll the group here about some suitable songs. Anything you'd
          care to
          > recommend?

          Carl, do you mean songs about globalization per se, or songs about the
          effects of globalization on individuals/characters? If you mean the
          latter, off the top of my head there's Dylan's "North Country Blues"
          and Steve Earle's "What's a Simple Man To Do?" and I'm sure there are
          many others.

          Nina M.
        • Lance Davis
          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 6, 2003
            > Steve Earle's "What's a Simple Man To Do?"

            This could work two ways because this song is an obvious homage
            to Doug Sahm's Adios Mexico. Why Steve didn't get Augie to play
            the organ part is beyond me. Anyway, Adios is a Sir Douglas
            Quintet song and I think it first appeared on the Quintessence
            album (1983).

            How about Victoria by the Kinks?

            "Canada to India
            Australia to Cornwall
            Singapore to Hong Kong
            From the West to the East
            From the rich to the poor
            Victoria loved them all!"

            Grand Champeen does a great version of this. Anyone who has a
            chance to see them on this tour should request it.

            LD

            =====
            "One good thing about music ... when it hits, you feel no pain."
            --Bob Marley

            http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
          • czimring
            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 6, 2003
              --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Nina Melechen" <melechen@c...>
              wrote:

              > Carl, do you mean songs about globalization per se, or songs about the
              > effects of globalization on individuals/characters? If you mean the
              > latter, off the top of my head there's Dylan's "North Country Blues"
              > and Steve Earle's "What's a Simple Man To Do?" and I'm sure there are
              > many others.

              A bit of both is fine, and I'd like a variety to show both positive
              and negative effects. (For example, Joe Jackson's "Big World"
              contrasts with most of Bruce Cockburn's work since the early 80s.)

              Thanks for the suggestions so far -- for some reason, I'm finding this
              harder to do than when I selected songs for my environmental history
              class.

              Oh yeah -- if anyone had a good song about globalization's effect on
              the environment, I'm all ears!

              Carl Z.
            • Perfect Sound Forever
              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 7, 2003
                Randy Newman's "The Great Nations of Europe" (from Bad Love) definitely
                belongs here. The Mekons catalog has a lot of globalization songs too-
                several songs on OOOH! (Out of Our Heads) and Curse of the Mekons are
                definitely on that tip.

                Since it came up on the list elsewhere, Carmaig de Forest is a very
                entertaining guy. Caught a New York solo show he did within the last year
                and it was a lot of fun.

                Best,
                Jason

                Perfect Sound Forever
                online music magazine with warped perspectives since 1993
                http://www.perfectsoundforever.com
              • Lance Davis
                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 7, 2003
                  Doesn't Elvis Costello have a dozen songs or so addressing this
                  topic ... not that I can think of any offhand. OK, I'm feeling
                  like Ralph Wiggum now, bye bye.

                  "When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!"

                  LD

                  =====
                  "One good thing about music ... when it hits, you feel no pain."
                  --Bob Marley

                  http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                • elvisbusybody
                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 7, 2003
                    How about Billy Bragg's "Help Save The Youth of America".

                    --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > Doesn't Elvis Costello have a dozen songs or so addressing this
                    > topic ... not that I can think of any offhand. OK, I'm feeling
                    > like Ralph Wiggum now, bye bye.
                    >
                    > "When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!"
                    >
                    > LD
                    >
                    > =====
                    > "One good thing about music ... when it hits, you feel no pain."
                    > --Bob Marley

                  • Nina Melechen
                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 7, 2003
                      Of course, if you want examples of pop music *as* globalization, there are lots of those, too. Paul Simon's Graceland album,
                      Cornershop's version of "Norwegian Wood," the whole world music thing....

                      Nina M.
                    • Wilson, Carl
                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 7, 2003
                        >Of course, if you want examples of pop music *as* globalization, there are
                        lots of those,
                        >too. Paul Simon's Graceland album...

                        true, though a lot of that album, much of which i think has held up beyond
                        the controversy around its production, is actually *about* globalization,
                        too, by fairly obvious inference. "these are the days of miracles and
                        wonder, this is the long-distance call." i like that line. not actually that
                        critical, much of the time, but still on the subject. i always assume
                        "homeless" is a refugee-themed song, and "the myth of fingerprints" a
                        post-colonial one.

                        carl w
                      • Wilson, Carl
                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 7, 2003
                          My favourite Billy Bragg tune that's sort of on this subject is the
                          little-known, Clash-style rant, "North Sea Bubble," which begins with the
                          great line, "I went out drinking with Thomas Paine/ He said all revolutions
                          are not the same."

                          Also from Mermaid Ave. II, the perpetually applicable Guthrie/Bragg
                          broadside, "All You Fascists Are Bound to Lose," which talks in global
                          terms. And about half the songs on his last, "England/Half-English" deal
                          with the subject more directly, though it's a spotty disc overall.

                          carl w
                        • Lance Davis

                              Message 14 of 28 , Nov 7, 2003
                                A good list can be found here:
                              • Wilson, Carl
                                Message 15 of 28 , Nov 7, 2003
                                  Oops, let's try that again. A pretty good list, despite including some
                                  hippie-dippie crap, can be found here:

                                  http://www.rethinkingschools.org/publication/rg/RGResource01.shtml

                                  It includes Iris Dement's "Wasteland of the Free."

                                  carl w
                                • Wilson, Carl
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 7, 2003
                                    Others to check out on this theme and loosely related ones:

                                    Spearhead/Disposable Heroes of Hip-Hoprisy
                                    Lyrics Born's new "The Last Trumpet" ("Healthcare battles bio-engineering /
                                    for the worldwide scare of plague that we're fearing") (warning:
                                    controversial stuff on terrorism, i think, for most american students)
                                    Ozomatli
                                    Manu Chao
                                    Antibalas
                                    El Vez (seriously! sort of!)
                                    Springsteen's "Youngstown" ("From the Monongahela valley to the Mesabi iron
                                    range
                                    To the coal mines of Appalachia the story's always the same")
                                    Propaghandi's "Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes"
                                    Warsawpack (new Canadian band - Rage against the machine meets Acid jazz,
                                    which is not as bad as it sounds actually)
                                    Rickie Lee Jones' new "Tell Somebody (Repeal the Patriot Act)" (on "Evening
                                    of My Best Day," a fair return to form just out).
                                    Desaparecidos (Conor Oberst's punk band) - "$$$$" (" it's the dollar signs
                                    and the big bright lights inequality franchised every location is mine you
                                    just do your part form a line lets march under the golden arch march march
                                    march march"); "Manana" ("we will cover the earth like air and water
                                    tomorrow is blank well just fill it in with our little answers"); "The
                                    Happiest Place on Earth," and the rest of that Read Music/Speak Spanish lp
                                    Eric B. & Rakim, "Casualties of War" (1991 Gulf War rap)
                                    Clash, "I'm So Bored With the USA" (no gettin' round it)
                                    Caetano Veloso
                                    The soundtrack to the documentary "Life & Debt" (including Ziggy Marley,
                                    Mutabaruka, Peter Tosh and even Buju Banton(!))
                                    Radiohead, it has to be admitted
                                    Asian Dub Foundation, "Basta"
                                    etc
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Nov 8, 2003
                                      --On Friday, November 7, 2003 10:43 AM -0800 Lance Davis
                                      <lwdavis1@...> wrote:

                                      > What about the Mekons? Certainly they've covered this subject.

                                      Great suggestion, Lance. (And Jason.) The Mekons's "Memphis, Egypt" is,
                                      aside from being one of The Great Rock Songs of the 1980s, a great
                                      summation of the transition from the Cold War as they walk through the wall
                                      into globalized capitalism. And _Oooh!_ works as a post-2001 take on the
                                      cultural dimensions to globalization and its discontents.

                                      "Great Nations of Europe?" Yeah, certainly for the links between the
                                      development of the world economic system and late-20th century spins on
                                      capital's crusades. So between Newman and the Mekons, I can use songs
                                      marking transitions among three major periods of international economic
                                      development.

                                      With "Great Nations of Europe," "The World Isn't Fair," "Freud's
                                      Impression," and a dozen others, Randy Newman is the historian's best
                                      friend. Sometimes I wonder if he is partially responsible for my career
                                      path.

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Nov 8, 2003
                                        --On Friday, November 7, 2003 1:40 PM -0500 "Wilson, Carl"
                                        <cwilson@...> wrote:

                                        > My favourite Billy Bragg tune that's sort of on this subject is the
                                        > little-known, Clash-style rant, "North Sea Bubble," which begins with the
                                        > great line, "I went out drinking with Thomas Paine/ He said all
                                        > revolutions are not the same."

                                        _Don't Try This At Home_ is from start to finish my favorite Bragg record,
                                        and though it's been a while since I've listened to it, there are a few
                                        relevant details sprinkled throughout from the guy driving a Mitsubishi
                                        Zero to the rumors of war and the bubble Carl W. references. And Bragg's
                                        an obvious source for articulating the last days of the the Cold War...

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Nov 8, 2003
                                          --On Friday, November 7, 2003 6:23 PM +0000 Nina Melechen
                                          <melechen@...> wrote:

                                          > Of course, if you want examples of pop music *as* globalization, there
                                          > are lots of those, too. Paul Simon's Graceland album, Cornershop's
                                          > version of "Norwegian Wood,"

                                          Oh yeah. Cornershop is a fabulous example, especially as it became a hit
                                          in England. Makes it a lot easier to track down than, say, Thai pop
                                          versions of Madonna songs.

                                          "Wilson, Carl" <cwilson@...> wrote:

                                          > Paul Simon's Graceland album...
                                          >
                                          > true, though a lot of that album, much of which i think has held up beyond
                                          > the controversy around its production, is actually *about* globalization,
                                          > too, by fairly obvious inference. "these are the days of miracles and
                                          > wonder, this is the long-distance call." i like that line. not actually
                                          > that critical, much of the time, but still on the subject. i always assume
                                          > "homeless" is a refugee-themed song, and "the myth of fingerprints" a
                                          > post-colonial one.

                                          The information overload depicted in "Boy in the Bubble" is at least mild
                                          criticism, and articulated in the context of Simon's fusion sensibilities
                                          works better as a state-of-the-mid-80s song than most. (Peter Gabriel's
                                          "Games Without Frontiers" comes to mind as well.)

                                          If you buy the argument that deindustrialization in the United States and
                                          England in the 1980s was a necessary condition for the revitalization of
                                          capitalism, scores of songs ranging from Bruce Springsteen's "The River" to
                                          Simply Red's "Money's Too Tight To Mention" and gobs of songs from British
                                          punks might be useful as context. (The film Letter to Brezhnev fits as
                                          well -- I don't have time to fit all of this into the class I'm teaching,
                                          but I'm tempted to design an interdisciplinary course with a lot more films
                                          and songs in the future.)

                                          Carl Z.
                                        • Dave Purcell
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Nov 8, 2003
                                            Carl W:

                                            > My favourite Billy Bragg tune that's sort of on this subject is the
                                            > little-known, Clash-style rant, "North Sea Bubble," which begins with
                                            > the great line, "I went out drinking with Thomas Paine/ He said all
                                            > revolutions are not the same."

                                            That's a wonderful song. Speaking of Bragg, I just got my tix to see the
                                            Tell Us The Truth tour in Indy next Wednesday. Can't wait...

                                            dp
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Nov 8, 2003
                                              --On Friday, November 7, 2003 1:56 PM -0500 "Wilson, Carl"
                                              <cwilson@...> wrote:

                                              > Oops, let's try that again. A pretty good list, despite including some
                                              > hippie-dippie crap, can be found here:
                                              >
                                              > http://www.rethinkingschools.org/publication/rg/RGResource01.shtml
                                              >
                                              > It includes Iris Dement's "Wasteland of the Free."

                                              And a couple of Bruce Cockburn's higher-profile songs, though you could
                                              tack up most of Cockburn's records from about 1979 on a wall, put a
                                              blindfold on, throw darts and wind up hitting relevant titles. His more
                                              recent albums play up the speed of travel and communications theme more,
                                              but his songs cover military brutality, to the influx of trucks and
                                              factories in Latin America, and (as the URL above mentions) the role of the
                                              IMF in keeping poor nations poor. (That song, by the way, was the first
                                              one I know of that got labeled because of the PMRC's scrutiny over lyrics.
                                              Go figure that after all the hand-wringing over WASP that a song about
                                              geopolitics would be the first one labelled.)

                                              Carl Z.
                                            • Barry Mazor
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Nov 12, 2003
                                                I haven't been around much, so I mised this thread last week.

                                                I'd nominate "I''d Like to Give the World a Coke..."

                                                -Barry
                                              • Rob Jefferson
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Nov 12, 2003
                                                  On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Barry Mazor wrote:

                                                  > I haven't been around much, so I mised this thread last week.
                                                  >
                                                  > I'd nominate "I''d Like to Give the World a Coke..."

                                                  Negativland did a cute skewering of that on their _Dispepsi_ album. Heck,
                                                  I think there are a bunch of good gems on there to be used during a
                                                  discussion of globalization.

                                                  rob
                                                • cplewis@io.com
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Nov 12, 2003
                                                    > Negativland did a cute skewering of that on their _Dispepsi_ album.

                                                    Mark Hosler of Negativland gave a really interesting lecture in DC this
                                                    past weekend that I was lucky to have found out about -- it was all part
                                                    of some law conference at American Univ's law school, and it was not
                                                    (really) open to the public.

                                                    In any case, he gave a rambling-but-awesome history of Negativland with
                                                    some rad videos for "U2" and "Guns". Apparently that's sort of how he
                                                    makes a living nowadays, going around and talking about the legal troubles
                                                    Negativland went through, and making people think about all that stuff.
                                                    Well worth seeking out if he's ever lecturing near you -- although I'm not
                                                    quite sure how you'd find out if he is (?).

                                                    Catherine.
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Nov 13, 2003
                                                      --On Wednesday, November 12, 2003 2:13 PM -0500 Rob Jefferson
                                                      <jeffer@...> wrote:

                                                      >> I'd nominate "I''d Like to Give the World a Coke..."
                                                      >
                                                      > Negativland did a cute skewering of that on their _Dispepsi_ album.
                                                      > Heck, I think there are a bunch of good gems on there to be used during
                                                      > a discussion of globalization.

                                                      Maybe as a musical bed. Either the unadulterated or ironic Coke jingles
                                                      are very good ideas.

                                                      By the way, I've begun to use snippets of the suggestions in class this
                                                      week. "Great Nations of Europe" helped kick things off and I plan on using
                                                      the Mekons tomorrow, with other possibilities as we get closer to the 1990s
                                                      in class. (We've covered 500 years of world trade and geopolitics this
                                                      week, leading up to the late 1980s. The coverage will slow considerably
                                                      from here.) One of the good things about Randy Newman is his songs are
                                                      very short, so they don't take up too much class time; I may drop
                                                      "Political Science" in somewhere...

                                                      Carl Z.
                                                    • Wilson, Carl
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Nov 13, 2003
                                                        >One of the good things about Randy Newman is his songs are
                                                        >very short, so they don't take up too much class time

                                                        And concise, too, as Great Nations of Europe shows so well:

                                                        "There were natives there called Guanches, Guanches by the score --
                                                        Bullets, disease, the Portugese, and they weren't there any more."

                                                        Yep, pretty much sums it up, Randy.

                                                        (See here for an alternate take on that line, by the way:
                                                        http://www.canoe.ca/JamMusicArtistsN/newman_randy_qanda3.html )
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Nov 14, 2003
                                                          --On Thursday, November 13, 2003 6:41 PM -0500 "Wilson, Carl"
                                                          <cwilson@...> wrote:

                                                          >> One of the good things about Randy Newman is his songs are
                                                          >> very short, so they don't take up too much class time
                                                          >
                                                          > And concise, too, as Great Nations of Europe shows so well:
                                                          >
                                                          > "There were natives there called Guanches, Guanches by the score --
                                                          > Bullets, disease, the Portugese, and they weren't there any more."
                                                          >
                                                          > Yep, pretty much sums it up, Randy.

                                                          Cliff's Notes couldn't whittle down Jared Diamond and William McNeill much
                                                          more than that....