PLAYLISTS: Viva Le Mock - October (4)

  • Mock the DJ
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2003
      It seems in my eternal slacking, I failed to post any playlists for the
      month of October. So, let's just "clean house" and get 'em all out there in
      one fell swoop.

      October Mocks included: Carl Perkins, Marvin Gaye, Bob Marley and Nick Cave

      WRCT 88.3 fm * Pittsburgh, PA * www.wrct.org
      Program: Viva le Mock
      Date: 10-31-2003; 9:00 p.m.
      The Mock: Nick Cave

      Artist -- Song (original artist and/or author) [comments]

      [You may notice a theme throughout this show as it fell on 10/31...]
      Lou Reed -- My Name is Mok
      Bauhaus -- Bela Lugosi's Dead
      My 3 Scum -- Werewolf By Night
      Nerf Herder -- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Theme
      The Goblins -- Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

      Bow Wow Wow -- I Want Candy
      The Blow Pops -- Halloween
      Neutral Milk Hotel -- Ghost
      Lemonheads -- Skulls (Misfits)
      Angry Johnny and the Killbillies -- Mr. Undertaker

      The Birthday Party -- Release the Bats*
      The Phantom Limbs -- Hot Knives and Hornets
      Ministry -- Everyday is Halloween
      Strobe Talbot -- Ghost Train
      Lou Reed -- Halloween Parade

      Guided By Voices -- Cut-Out Witch
      Gore Gore Girls -- Gore She's Got It
      Reverend Horton Heat -- The Halloween Dance
      New York Dolls -- Frankenstein*
      Grandpaboy -- Dead Man Shake

      Monitor -- I Saw Dead Jim's Shade*
      [It seems that a past trainee of The Mockster celebrates a Halloween
      Birthday. This was requested by is wife.]
      Procol Harum -- The Dead Man's Dream*
      Kristin Hersh -- Your Ghost
      Neats -- Ghost
      R.E.M. -- I Walked With A Zombie (R. Erickson)
      T. Rex -- Jeepster*
      [lyrics include the line: "I'm just a vampire for your love/I'm gonna suck
      you"]

      David Bowie -- Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)
      You Am I -- Who Put the Devil in You
      Modey Lemon -- Slow Death

      The Spinanes -- Halloween Candy
      The Jazz Butcher Conspiracy -- Ghosts
      The Psychedelic Furs -- The Ghost in You
      The Pogues -- Haunted
      Pretty Girls Make Graves -- The New Romance

      The Movielife -- Scary
      Groovie Ghoulies -- Ghoulies are Go!
      MX-80 -- Halloween Theme
      The Gories -- Hey, Hey, We're the Gories
      Gein and the Graverobbers -- The Soul Collector
      Screaming Jay Hawkins -- I Put a Spell on You*
      The Dream Syndicate -- Halloween

      THE MOCK: Nick Cave
      The Walkabouts -- Loom of the Land (N. Cave)
      Concrete Blonde -- The Ship Song (N. Cave)
      Giant Sand -- Red Right Hand (N. Cave)
      My Morning Jacket -- New Morning (N. Cave)
      Johnny Cash -- The Mercy Seat (N. Cave)

      Chris Cacavas -- The Big Joke
      [Co-written by Nick Cave]
      Paul Kelly -- God's Hotel
      [Co-written by Nick Cave]
      Singapore Sling -- No Soul Man
      The Shaggs -- It's Halloween

      The Witches -- Demons All Around Her
      Frankenstein and the All Star Monster Band -- Halloween Queen
      Gregory's Funhouse -- It Only Happens on Halloween
      The Windbreakers -- Ghost Town

      Date: 10-24-200; 9:00 p.m.
      The Mock: Bob Marley

      Lou Reed -- My Name is Mok
      Longwave -- Everywhere You Turn
      Frank Black and the Catholics -- Everything is New
      Slumber Party -- Electric Boots
      Luna -- That's What You Always Say

      The dB's -- Amplifier
      The Lesser Birds of Paradise -- Into Pieces
      Ballboy -- Where Do The Nights Of Sleep Go To When They Do Not Come To Me
      [Wonderful British/Scottish pop]
      Looper-- Burning Flies
      Eels -- Manchild
      [Played Pgh 11/28]

      Consonant -- Mysteries of the Holiday Camp
      The Weirdos -- Barbaric Americana
      Modey Lemon -- Thunder & Lightning
      [Played WRCT CD Release show 11/1]
      The Chinese Stars -- Sick Machine
      [This is a 3" disc shaped like a Chinese Throwing Star...how cool!]
      X-tal -- Lenny Bruce

      Carmaig de Forest -- Coldwater Park
      [Playing live on "Viva Le Mock" on 11/7]
      Elliot Smith -- Waltz #2 (XO)*
      [R.I.P. 1969-2003]
      The Blueberries -- Trees
      Camper Van Beethoven -- Never Go Back
      Danny Flanigan and the Rain Chorus -- Save Me

      Bettie Serveert -- Kid's Allright
      [Played Pgh 10/19]
      The Wrens -- Faster Gun
      Pinback -- Microtonic Wave
      Taco -- Singin' in the Rain (Brown/Freed)
      [After playing this, it's no wonder Taco didn't have any other hits]

      Del Rey -- Asimov
      [Coming to Pgh 11/4]
      Quicksand -- Unfulfilled*
      Afghan Whigs -- Rebirth of the Cool
      Constantines -- National Hum
      [Played WRCT CD Release Party 11/1]

      The Johnsons Big Band -- Use a Phrase
      [Played Pgh 11/25]
      The Beauty Shop -- Personal Jesus (Depeche Mode)
      The Creatures -- Godzilla!
      [Siouxsie Sioux has a brand new CD out]
      Singapore Sling -- Heart of Chrome
      Eugenius -- Indian Summer (Beat Happening)

      The Housemartins -- The People Who Grinned Themselves to Death*
      [Caller requested "something happy"]
      Lightning Seeds -- All I Want
      Guided By Voices -- Do the Collapse
      Throwing Muses -- Lizzie Sage
      Lazy -- Crush

      Julie Brown -- The Homecoming Queen's Got a Gun
      [CMU's Homecoming was 10/25]
      Catfight! -- New Rose (The Damned)
      The Gain -- I Don't Mind (Buzzcocks)
      Social Distortion -- Sick Boys

      THE MOCK: Bob Marley
      Gang of Four -- Soul Rebel (Marley)
      Stiff Little Fingers -- Johnny Was (Marley)
      [I've seen the writing credits on this credited to: Bob Marley, Robert
      Marley, Rita Marley, and just "R. Marley"]
      The Mighty Mighty Bosstones -- Simmer Down (Marley)
      Black Train Jack -- One Love (Marley)
      UB40 -- Keep on Moving (Marley)
      Material -- Mellow Mood (Marley)

      The Selecter -- On My Radio
      The English Beat -- Spar Wid Me
      The Specials -- A Message To You Rudy

      Lucero -- That Much Further West
      Frog Holler -- Least Most Wanted
      Gram Parsons -- Streets of Baltimore

      Date: 10-17-2003; 9:00 p.m.

      Lou Reed -- My Name is Mok
      Film School -- I Just Turned Into a Gas
      The New Amsterdams -- The Spoils of the Spoiled
      The Weakerthans -- A New Name for Everything

      Old 97's -- Oppenheimer
      The Plimsouls -- Magic Touch
      Lemonheads -- Bit Part
      [Evan Dando played Pgh 10/15]
      Nada Surf -- Killian's Red
      Cheap Trick -- Dream Police
      The Like Young -- Snobs and Slobs
      [Featuring former members of Wolfie]

      Pretty Girls Make Graves -- The Grandmother Wolf
      Toni Basil -- Be Stiff (Devo)
      Staci Twigg -- See Saw
      Swisher -- Over Nothing
      Strung Out -- Solitaire*

      The Cramps -- Don't Eat Stuff Off the Sidewalk*
      The Plugz -- Better Luck
      Zikzak -- I Lose the Tiny Man
      The Pogues -- If I Should Fall from Grace with God

      Ballboy -- I Wonder if You're Drunk Enough to Sleep with Me Tonight
      The Black Watch -- There Must Be Something Wrong
      The House of Love -- Christine
      The Jazz Butcher Conspiracy -- Whaddya?
      Belle & Sebastian -- I Don't Love Anyone
      The Church -- Reptile

      The Wrens -- Per Second Second
      The Rapture -- Heaven
      Clifford Nevernew -- Wreckon
      Seven Speed Vortex -- Maginot
      Dirt Bike Annie -- Note to Self

      Herbie Hancock -- Rockit*
      B-Shoc -- Freaky Deaky AOL*
      [I think the story goes that B-Shoc was created as an online persona/joke by
      some high school kid, and thanks to the internet, became "hip"]
      Z.O.W.I.E -- Napolean Complex
      [Played Pgh 10/29]
      The Johnsons Big Band -- So-Called Friends
      [Played Pgh 10/25]
      Elvis Costello -- Girls Talk
      British Sea Power -- Apologies to Insect Life

      Joy Division -- She's Lost Control*
      Galaxie 500 -- Ceremony (Joy Division)
      Swans -- Saved
      Robert Palmer -- Riptide (Reprise)
      [R.I.P. 1949-2003]

      Calexico -- Low Expectations
      Kinks -- Stop Your Sobbing
      The Romantics -- 61/49
      [New CD features Blondie's Clem Burke as the drummer, although he only drums
      on 2 songs while their original drummer plays on the rest. Interesting.]
      The Strokes -- The Modern Age

      THE MOCK: Marvin Gaye
      Love Tractor -- Got To Give It Up (Gaye)
      Soul Asylum -- Sexual Healing (Brown/Gaye/Ritz)
      Cyndi Lauper -- What's Going On? (Benson/Cleveland/Gaye)
      Josh Rouse -- Marvin Gaye
      The Flying Pickets -- I Heard it Through the Grapevine (Strong/Whitfield)
      The Sonics -- Hitche Hike (Gaye/Paul/Stevenson)
      Van Halen -- Dancing in the Street (Gaye/Hunter/Stevenson)

      [Chris Brokaw was in town playing in Evan Dando's band. I decided to play
      of block of other projects Chris has been involved with/played on...]
      Come -- Poison
      [Chris on guitar]
      Steve Wynn -- Nothing But the Shell
      [Chris on guitar]
      Consonant -- Are You Done?
      [Chris on guitar]
      The New Year -- Reconstruction
      [Chris on Drums]
      [Chris is returning to Pgh on 11/6 for a solo show]

      The Shiners -- We've Been Had (Uncle Tupelo)
      The Clutters -- I Don't Wanna Think About You Tonight
      Carmaig de Forest -- Los Angeles
      [Playing on "Viva Le Mock" on 11/7]
      Wylie & the Wild West -- Odessa Yodel
      [Wylie's yodel can be heard in Yahoo's advertising]
      Living Colour -- Final Solution (Pere Ubu)

      Date: 10-10-2003; 9:00 p.m.

      Lou Reed -- My Name is Mok
      Pretty Girls Make Graves -- Chemical Chemical
      Ivy -- Streets of Your Town (The Go-Betweens)
      Green Rode Shotgun -- Hopeless Crusades
      The Soviettes -- Blue Stars

      Ringo Starr -- Photograph
      The Johnsons Big Band -- Outstrengthed
      [Played Pgh 10/25]
      The Oranges Band -- All Around
      You Am I -- Ribbons and Bows

      Frank Black and the Catholics -- Nadine
      Bob Mould -- See A Little Light
      Crowded House -- Locked Out
      The Mysteries of Life -- When I Let My Guard Down
      Steve Wynn -- State Trooper (B. Springsteen)
      The Mary Janes -- Allison (full version) (E Costello)

      Some Girls -- Launch Pad
      [Some Girls features 2/3 of the Blake Babies - Juliana & Freda]
      [Played Pgh 9/23]
      Lemonheads -- Alison's Starting to Happen
      [Evan Dando Played Pgh 10/15]
      The Pastels -- I Picked a Flower
      [Guest vocalist on this track: Jarvis Cocker of Pulp]
      Billy Bragg -- You Woke Up My Neighbourhood
      The Soft Boys -- He's a Reptile
      Vic Chesnutt -- Steve Willoughby
      [Played Pgh 10/15]

      Poi Dog Pondering -- Living with the Dreaming Body
      Leonard Cohen -- Suzanne
      Azure Ray -- The Drinks We Drank Last Night
      The Be Good Tanyas -- Waiting Around to Die (Townes Van Zandt)
      Ken Stringfellow -- Sparrow
      [I recently saw Ken on the R.E.M. tour. He said he's working on some new
      solo material]

      R.E.M. -- Pretty Persuasion
      The Fleshtones -- Right on Woman
      The Pretty Things -- Children
      Rock City -- The Answer
      [Pre-Big Star project w/Bell & Stephens]
      Magnapop -- 13 (Big Star)

      Lucero -- Tonight Ain't Gonna Be Good
      The Sadies -- Pretty Polly (Traditional)
      [Played Pgh 10/16]
      Blue Rodeo -- Hasn't Hit Me Yet
      [Played Pgh 10/16]
      The Jayhawks -- Take Me With You (When You Go)
      [Played Pgh 10/12]
      Limbeck -- In Ohio on Some Steps

      Joan Jett -- Bad Reputation
      The Breeders -- Full on Idle*
      Material Issue -- Diane
      Digby -- 100% Free

      Dead Boys -- Sonic Reducer*
      Pavement -- Shady Lane*
      Sparklehorse -- Pig
      The Exploding Hearts -- Sleeping Aides and Razorblades
      The Weirdos -- The Hideout

      THE MOCK: Carl Perkins
      Jason and the Nashville Scorchers -- Both Sides of the Line (Perkins)
      The Country Gentlemen -- Honey Don't (Perkins)
      Glen Campbell -- Daddy Sang Bass (Perkins)
      Johnny Cash -- The Ballad of Boot Hill (Perkins)
      Patsy Cline -- So Wrong (Perkins)
      Eugene Chadbourne -- Dixie Fried (Perkins)
      The Cramps -- Her Love Rubbed Off (Perkins)
      Johnny Rivers -- Blue Suede Shoes (Perkins)

      Sleepy LaBeef -- These Boots Are Made For Walkin' (Lee Hazlewood)
      Dave Edmunds -- Hey Good Lookin' (Hank Williams)
      Southern Culture on the Skids -- Camel Walk
      [Played Pgh 10/8]
      Rick Nelson & The Stone Canyon Band -- Honky Tonk Woman (The Rolling Stones)
      Grant Lee Buffalo -- The Hook
      Blonde Redhead -- Mother*

      Pop Will Eat Itself -- Can U Dig It?
      Oxford Collapse -- If It Dies in Peoria Then Who the Hell Cares?
      The Replacements -- Kids Don't Follow
      Centro-Matic -- The Mighty Midshipman

      * requests

      Service. Try it FREE for one month! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
    • Andy Benham
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2003
        On 3 Nov 2003 at 16:46, Mock the DJ wrote:

        > It seems in my eternal slacking, I failed to post any playlists for the
        > month of October. So, let's just "clean house" and get 'em all out there in
        > one fell swoop.
        >
        > Ballboy -- Where Do The Nights Of Sleep Go To When They Do Not Come To Me
        > [Wonderful British/Scottish pop]

        > Ballboy -- I Wonder if You're Drunk Enough to Sleep with Me Tonight

        Wonderful pop is right. Any one who's read my emails over the last
        couple of years will know of my admiration for this band. It's really
        nice to see them featuring on a posted playlist.
        I'll be travelling the 150 miles to London to see ballboy play for
        probably the last time with their current lineup in a couple of weeks
        time. The show is part of a week of Strange Fruit celebrations
        (http://www.strange-fruit.co.uk/festival/index.html).
        Incidentally, a new ballboy record is released in a couple of weeks
        time. Titled _The sash my Father wore_, its basically a solo acoustic
        set by front man Gordon McIntrye. The tracks I've heard sound
        excellent.

        Andy