Re: [fearnwhiskey] next Tuesday's new releases and reissues

  • rickkelly1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 8, 2003
      the new mavericks record is on sanctuary....it's amazing, by the way......
    • kjhosey@adelphia.net
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 8, 2003
        > From: Lance Davis <lwdavis1@...>
        > Date: 2003/10/08 Wed AM 10:53:22 EDT
        > To: fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [fearnwhiskey] next Tuesday's new releases and reissues
        >
        > > Kevin, who caught Sammy Hagar on his Red Rocker tour opening
        > > for Boston and was astounded at the wretchedness.
        >
        > C'mon ... like ANYONE can follow Boston! I'm so sure. BTW,
        > isn't "Astounded At The Wretchedness" an REM song???
        >
        > LD

        Funny as that is, Lance, it would be hard for Sammy Hagar to have followed Boston if he opened for the band, which was also rather putrid but I was dumb enough to buy the tickets to see and hear them.

        Kevin, whose anal side helps when editing but seems humorless here at times. And man, did Sib Hashian have one hell of an Afro going on behind the drum kit that night.
      • rickkelly1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 8, 2003
          In a message dated 10/8/2003 10:53:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Lance Davis <lwdavis1@...> writes:

          >C'mon ... like ANYONE can follow Boston!  I'm so sure.  BTW,
          >isn't "Astounded At The Wretchedness" an REM song???

          no,it was my reaction to their last album......
        • Lance Davis
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 8, 2003
            Now I have to READ the posts?!?! Oh, the humanity!

            Hey, speaking of tributes to Boston:
            http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/guinea/489/Boston1.htm

            LD

            --- kjhosey@... wrote:
            > > > Kevin, who caught Sammy Hagar on his Red Rocker tour
            > > > opening for Boston and was astounded at the wretchedness.
            > >
            > > C'mon ... like ANYONE can follow Boston! I'm so sure. BTW,
            > > isn't "Astounded At The Wretchedness" an REM song???
            > >
            > > LD
            > >
            > Funny as that is, Lance, it would be hard for Sammy Hagar to
            > have followed Boston if he opened for the band, which was also
            > rather putrid but I was dumb enough to buy the tickets to see
            > and hear them.
            >
            > Kevin, whose anal side helps when editing but seems humorless
            > here at times. And man, did Sib Hashian have one hell of an
            > Afro going on behind the drum kit that night.

            =====
            "One good thing about music ... when it hits, you feel no pain."
            --Bob Marley

            http://shopping.yahoo.com
          • kjhosey@adelphia.net
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 8, 2003
              Oh, dear, Lance, that tribute page is, um, er, really something, and that is a GREAT shot of Sib Hashian at the drums.

              Kevin, who can only murmur "the horror ... the horror ..." (and who thinks Murmur was a great album, possibly REM's finest).

              > From: Lance Davis <lwdavis1@...>
              > Date: 2003/10/08 Wed AM 11:15:59 EDT
              > To: fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: Re: [fearnwhiskey] next Tuesday's new releases and reissues
              >
              > Now I have to READ the posts?!?! Oh, the humanity!
              >
              > Hey, speaking of tributes to Boston:
              > http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/guinea/489/Boston1.htm
            • Stevo
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 13, 2003
                --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, jeffj@b... wrote:
                > And what's the Bottle Rockets cd on Sanctuary? The Sanctuary
                Records that I'm
                > aware of specialized in goth bands and reissues of goth favorites
                like the
                > Damned and Christian Death. A look at the Sanctuary Records website
                shows them
                > featuring everybody from the Allman Brothers to the Libertines to
                Kelly
                > Osbourne. I'm confused.
                >
                > Jeff J

                Sanctuary seem to be getting more and more into doing interesting
                late 60s/early 70s material. There seem to be a lot of 2cd sets of
                stuff coming out(unfortunately their Downliners Sect set doesn't
                appear to be quite allothat).
                The Goth roots would explain the name though wouldn't it, plus they
                do seem to have a wing devoted to that kind of stuff.
                They also did the Larry Young Lawrence of Newark reissue whenever
                that was. Interesting label. Another one of quality (not the
                Downliners thing though apparently)
                Stevo
                Np Prince Paul Politics of Business Original Cryme Pays
              • Stevo
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 13, 2003
                  --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Rob Jefferson <jeffer@t...>
                  wrote:
                  > On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Carl Zimring wrote:
                  >
                  > It's the same label -- I was confused by seeing all sorts of bands -
                  -
                  > ranging from the Damned to King Crimson to Tricky -- on a label
                  that
                  > didn't really exist too long ago. Their breadth is quite
                  impressive.

                  > rob

                  Are they not directly connected with both Trojan and Charly?
                  I think the Charly thing might be that some people moved from the
                  management or something?
                  Stevo
                • Jason Witherspoon
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 13, 2003
                    At 5:00 PM +0000 10/13/03, Stevo wrote:
                    >--- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, jeffj@b... wrote:
                    >> And what's the Bottle Rockets cd on Sanctuary? The Sanctuary
                    >Records that I'm
                    >> aware of specialized in goth bands and reissues of goth favorites
                    >like the
                    >> Damned and Christian Death. A look at the Sanctuary Records website
                    >shows them
                    >> featuring everybody from the Allman Brothers to the Libertines to
                    >Kelly
                    >> Osbourne. I'm confused.
                    >>
                    >> Jeff J
                    >>

                    >Sanctuary seem to be getting more and more into doing interesting
                    >late 60s/early 70s material. There seem to be a lot of 2cd sets of
                    >stuff coming out(unfortunately their Downliners Sect set doesn't
                    >appear to be quite allothat).
                    >The Goth roots would explain the name though wouldn't it, plus they
                    >do seem to have a wing devoted to that kind of stuff.
                    >They also did the Larry Young Lawrence of Newark reissue whenever
                    >that was. Interesting label. Another one of quality (not the
                    >Downliners thing though apparently)
                    >Stevo
                    >Np Prince Paul Politics of Business Original Cryme Pays

                    Isn't Sanctuary the same as Castle? Who've been doing shoddy
                    reissues from across the pond of everything under the sun for as long
                    as I've been buying cds (ie, around 1984)?
                    --

                    Jason Witherspoon
                    --- ---

                    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but after all, it is
                    the leaders of a country who determine the policy and it is always a
                    simple matter to drag people along whether it is a democracy, or a
                    fascist dictatorship, or a parliament or a communist dictatorship.
                    Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of
                    the leaders. This is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they
                    are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism
                    and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every
                    country."
                    --Hermann Goering

                    "Fascism should more properly be called corporatism, since it is the
                    merger of state and corporate power"
                    --Benito Mussolini

                    http://www.davesweb.cnchost.com/nwsltr43.html

                    http://www.konformist.com/911/war-is-a-racket.htm

                    http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0%2C3604%2C1036571%2C00.html
                  • Steve Gardner
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 13, 2003
                      Are you sure you aren't getting Sanctuary cornfused with Cleopatra, Jeff?

                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 13, 2003
                        --On Monday, October 13, 2003 5:03 PM +0000 Stevo <Stuggy@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Are they not directly connected with both Trojan and Charly?
                        > I think the Charly thing might be that some people moved from the
                        > management or something?

                        Do they share staff on both sides of the Atlantic? I have no idea.

                        Carl Z.
                      • Mock the DJ
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 14, 2003
                          Sorry if this has been addressed, answered or disregarded (as a
                          thread)...but this was the last thing in my inbox today (not too sure why
                          I'm getting my emails about a week late)...

                          But I figured Steve G. would have some insight into Sanctuary....primarily
                          because they do have a base office in N.C. A buddy of mine is their
                          production manager (or some title like that).

                          The label is based in the UK, and they've been gobbling up (and/or
                          distributing) many smaller labels (Castle, Rough Trade, Vapor) with quite
                          some fervor over the last few years.

                          It's not like their owned by the Welk group or anything.

                          Paul

                          >From: Carl Zimring <cz28@...>
                          >To: fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: Re: [fearnwhiskey] next Tuesday's new releases and reissues
                          >Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 10:14:59 -0400
                          >
                          >Not sure if it's the same Sanctuary or not, but an indie called Sanctuary
                          >has been releasing several discs from established artists, I presume under
                          >a licensing deal where the artists keep ownership of their work. Steve
                          >Winwood's on the roster, so it it is in fact the goth label, they've
                          >branched out.
                          >
                          >Carl Z.
                          >
                          >--On Wednesday, October 8, 2003 10:17 AM -0400 jeffj@... wrote:
                          >
                          > > And what's the Bottle Rockets cd on Sanctuary? The Sanctuary Records
                          >that
                          > > I'm aware of specialized in goth bands and reissues of goth favorites
                          > > like the Damned and Christian Death. A look at the Sanctuary Records
                          > > website shows them featuring everybody from the Allman Brothers to the
                          > > Libertines to Kelly Osbourne. I'm confused.

                          Fretting that your Hotmail account may expire because you forgot to sign in
                          enough? Get Hotmail Extra Storage today!
                          http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es
                        • Steve Gardner
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 14, 2003
                            They have an office in NC? Wow. Where? They are part of a major label, aren't they?

                            They did the new Ween album. I don't have it, but what I've heard from it was really great.

                            steve
                            Sorry if this has been addressed, answered or disregarded (as a
                            thread)...but this was the last thing in my inbox today (not too sure why
                            I'm getting my emails about a week late)...

                            But I figured Steve G. would have some insight into Sanctuary....primarily
                            because they do have a base office in N.C. A buddy of mine is their
                            production manager (or some title like that).

                            The label is based in the UK, and they've been gobbling up (and/or
                            distributing) many smaller labels (Castle, Rough Trade, Vapor) with quite
                            some fervor over the last few years.

                            It's not like their owned by the Welk group or anything.

                            Paul

                            >From: Carl Zimring <cz28@...>
                            >To: fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: Re: [fearnwhiskey] next Tuesday's new releases and reissues
                            >Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 10:14:59 -0400
                            >
                            >Not sure if it's the same Sanctuary or not, but an indie called Sanctuary
                            >has been releasing several discs from established artists, I presume under
                            >a licensing deal where the artists keep ownership of their work. Steve
                            >Winwood's on the roster, so it it is in fact the goth label, they've
                            >branched out.
                            >
                            >Carl Z.
                            >
                            >--On Wednesday, October 8, 2003 10:17 AM -0400 jeffj@... wrote:
                            >
                            > > And what's the Bottle Rockets cd on Sanctuary? The Sanctuary Records
                            >that
                            > > I'm aware of specialized in goth bands and reissues of goth favorites
                            > > like the Damned and Christian Death. A look at the Sanctuary Records
                            > > website shows them featuring everybody from the Allman Brothers to the
                            > > Libertines to Kelly Osbourne. I'm confused.

                            Fretting that your Hotmail account may expire because you forgot to sign in
                            enough? Get Hotmail Extra Storage today!
                            http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          • Stevo
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 15, 2003
                              --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:

                              > --On Monday, October 13, 2003 5:03 PM +0000 Stevo <Stuggy@h...>
                              > wrote:
                              >
                              > > Are they not directly connected with both Trojan and Charly?
                              > > I think the Charly thing might be that some people moved from the
                              > > management or something?
                              >
                              > Do they share staff on both sides of the Atlantic? I have no idea.
                              >
                              > Carl Z.

                              I thought both Charly and Sanctuary were UK based.
                              The Charly lps I bought in the early 80s seemed to be from this side
                              of the pond anyway.
                              Stevo
                              Np Blondie Plastic Letters Bermuda TRiangle Blues