SPOON

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2002
      I just got this from Merge...
      steve

      Hello --

      Just a quick message to let you know that the new SPOON record, KILL
      THE MOONLIGHT (release date: August 20) is now streaming on the Merge
      Website.

      Go here:

      http://www.mergerecords.com/news.html

      and give it a listen!

      Thanks,
      Merge Records
    • Steve Gardner
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 28, 2002
        I haven't seen many people talk about the new Spoon record yet, but damn
        it's good. In fact, I think it is record-of-the-year good (though it might
        have troubles knocking Bright Eyes out of that spot.)

        For those of you with radio shows, playing the Kinks after Spoon sound
        gooood.

        I can't find any free downloads from the album, but you can download two
        MP3s of Britt Daniels from Spoon doing the new songs solo (on WERS.)

        http://www.mergerecords.com/news.html

        steve
      • Lance Davis
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 28, 2002
          From the latest Austin Chronicle, here's an interview with the
          Spoonie G's:

          http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2002-08-23/music_feature3.html

          And here's the link to Chris Gray's 3 1/2 star review:

          http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2002-08-23/music_feature4.html

          Lance

          --- Steve Gardner <steve@...> wrote:
          > I haven't seen many people talk about the new Spoon record
          > yet, but damn
          > it's good. In fact, I think it is record-of-the-year good
          > (though it might
          > have troubles knocking Bright Eyes out of that spot.)
          >
          > For those of you with radio shows, playing the Kinks after
          > Spoon sound
          > gooood.
          >
          > I can't find any free downloads from the album, but you can
          > download two
          > MP3s of Britt Daniels from Spoon doing the new songs solo (on
          > WERS.)
          >
          > http://www.mergerecords.com/news.html
          >
          > steve

          =====
          "Why should I care about posterity? What's posterity ever done for me?"
          --Groucho Marx

          http://finance.yahoo.com
        • Hill, Christopher J
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 28, 2002
            http://www.epitonic.com/artists/spoon.html - has MP3s from
            the last album. The new material's a step forward, but it
            gives you a little background.

            The August CMJ New Music Monthly has "The Way We Get By" on
            its monthly mix cd. The piano on the chorus reminds me of
            the Beatles' "Lady Madonna", though not directly.

            Would recommend Spoon's "Soft Effects" EP on Matador, also.
            "I Could See the Dude" and "Waiting for the Kid to Come Out"
            are stellar.

            Good CMJ mix cd, btw. Marianne Faithfull, The Soundtrack of
            our Lives, Bright Eyes, Violent Femmes (live "Gone Daddy
            Gone"), among others. Beth Orton & Ryan Adams' "Concrete
            Sky" is also included - pleasant, though not goosebumpy good.

            Chris

          • mosurock
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 28, 2002
              I might be the only person so far having a lukewarm response on this. People
              who had advance copies told me that it was the same formula as "Girls Can
              Tell," last year's best album -- just another collection of songs THAT GOOD.
              I don't think it really comes close. It's not nearly as fluid as that last
              batch of songs, far too staccato in approach for its own good.

              I've been down on them since they kinda kicked my man Roman out on bass
              (their loss as his new deal, the oranges Band, are poised to become the
              American Wedding Present) and the one time I did get to see them found Britt
              drunk off his ass and the rest of the band not replying in kind.

              doug

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 28, 2002
                Doug wrote:

                < I might be the only person so far having a lukewarm response on
                < this. People
                < who had advance copies told me that it was the same formula as "Girls Can
                < Tell," last year's best album -- just another collection of
                < songs THAT GOOD.
                < I don't think it really comes close. It's not nearly as fluid as
                < that last
                < batch of songs, far too staccato in approach for its own good.

                You're not the only one, but I didn't like GIRLS CAN TELL, either.
                Uninspired, formulaic pop rock by technically proficient musicians, to my
                ears, anyway. I nearly fell asleep when they opened for GBV last year.
                Bor-hor-hor-hor-ring. The only good thing about them was when they invited
                Bob Pollard and Doug Gillard on stage at the end of their set and covered
                GBV's "Melted Pat". And even *that* was rather pedestrian.

                -Jason