Playlist for Morning Show Thursday on October 02, 2003

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2003
      Playlist for Morning Show Thursday on October 02, 2003

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      Thanks to those who pledged this week. Also, thanks to Steve Pick and
      all the phone volunteers who took the time to come out and help with
      the pledge drive!

      Louis Jordan & His Tympany Five - Jack, You're Dead - Louis
      Jordan & His Tympany Five 1944-46
      [ This is one of five CDs in a ridiculously low-priced and great
      sounding box set from JSP. I first heard this song on Joe
      Jackson's "Jumpin' Jive" album which made me want to go back and hear
      what the original sounded like. Now I hardly ever listen to "Jumpin'
      Jive" but I sure listen to this. ]

      Jimmy & The Mustangs - I Want You To Be My Baby - Hey Little Girl
      [ Jimmy & The Mustangs were an 80s rockabilly & roots-based band
      that included some Wynonie Harris and Louis Jordan songs (like this
      one) on this first album of theirs. They used to split some bills
      with The Blasters back in the day. ]

      The Champs - Ali Baba - Soul Cargo Vol 3.
      [ Instrumental played in the background while Steve and I
      attempted to work our Pledge Drive magic ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Impressions - It's All Right - Got Soul! Curtis Mayfield -
      Jerry Butler - The Impressions 1960-73
      [ The Australian label, Raven, put out this fine compilation
      which has nary a bad track. ]

      Etta James - Money (That's What I Want) - Etta James Rocks The
      House
      [ A none-too-subtle reminder that KDHX is in the middle of a
      pledge drive. ]

      The Civil Tones - Soul Bucket - Soul Bucket
      [ Instrumental played in the background while Steve and I
      attempted to continue to work our Pledge Drive magic ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Elvis Costello - I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down - Get Happy!
      (Reissue)*
      [ In case twenty tracks on the original release weren't enough,
      now there is this reissue with thirty more tracks including lots of
      unreleased tunes, live versions, alternate versions, & demos. ]

      Betty Everett - Gettin' Mighty Crowded - The Shoop Shoop Song
      [ This Chicago-based soul singer recorded this in 1964 & Elvis
      Costello later covered it on "Get Happy!" ]

      Alvin Cash - Twine Time - Soul Cargo - Vol 8
      [ Instrumental played in the background while Steve and I
      attempted to work our Pledge Drive magic. In the distance, a wolf
      bayed. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Peter Wolf - Nothing But The Wheel - Sleepless
      [ Mick Jagger vocals sound great on this song that the current
      Rolling Stones would have loved to have written - I thought this was
      one of last year's best releases ]

      Don Covay - You've Got Me On The Critical List - Mercy Mercy: The
      Definitive Don Covay
      [ He was a member of the Soul Clan with Solomon Burke, Arthur
      Conley, Ben E. King, and Joe Tex; he wrote songs recorded by everyone
      from the Rolling Stones to Jimi Hendrix, & Aretha Franklin to Etta
      James; and he was a large vocal influence on Mick Jagger. ]

      The Lively Ones - Surf Rider - Pulp Fiction OST
      [ Instrumental played in the background while Steve and I
      attempted to work our Pledge Drive magic. Steve was starting to gear
      up for his dialing the phone reminisces ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Toots Hibbert - Love The Rain - Toots In Memphis
      [ The glorious result of combining reggae music's greatest
      rhythm section with some of Memphis's best soul musicians & the
      soulful vocals of Toots Hibbert. ]

      Barry & The Remains - You Got A Hard Time Comin' - The Remains
      [ This could almost be a Kinks track - After I mentioned on the
      air that Barry & The Remains opened up for The Beatles at the famous
      Shea Stadium concert, Steve Pick pointed out that they also opened up
      for The Beatles at Busch Stadium. I did not know that. Just another
      good reason to have Steve Pick assisting with the Pledge Drive. ]

      Booker T. & The MGs - I Want You (She's So Heavy) - McLemore
      Avenue
      [ Instrumental played in the background while Steve and I
      attempted to work our Pledge Drive magic. Meanwhile, Rush Limbaugh
      accuses the media of building up my DJ skills when actually it's the
      production people making the show a success after mistaking me to be
      African American ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Bangles - Stealing Rosemary - Doll Revolution*
      [ Perhaps the best track of all on this recently released
      (domestically) CD - Lots of pop gems on this one ]

      The Long Winters - Stupid - When I Pretend To Fall*
      [ A friend of mine pointed out that this should be a huge hit
      single and I agree - If there was justice in the world, it would be -
      One heck of an entertaining band live, as well. Unfortunately, this
      Seattle band gets no closer to St. Louis than Iowa on their current
      tour ]

      Aimee Mann - Nothing Is Good Enough (Instrumental) - Magnolia OST
      [ Instrumental played in the background while Steve and I
      attempted to work our Pledge Drive magic. It was at this time that
      Steve and I realized our cars weren't pictured in the KDHX Calender
      premium and we said "yeah, that makes sense." ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Bettie Serveert - Captain Of Maybe - Log 22*
      [ My quest to convert every single St. Louisan to be Bettie
      Serveert fans continues - See them at the Blueberry Hill Duck Room on
      Tuesday (10/14)- Hey, they're from Holland; it's not like they swing
      through St. Louis every couple of months ]

      Joe Henry - Dirty Magazines - Tiny Voices*
      [ You'll never get the party started with this one but I'm sure
      it will be one of my Top 10 releases of the year. Joe Henry loves
      washes and layers of sound and it's a truly beautiful and soulful
      thing ]

      Sugarman 3 and Co. - Pure Cane - Pure Cane Sugar
      [ Instrumental played in the background while Steve and I
      attempted to work our Pledge Drive magic. Steve starts talking off
      mic about whether I'm familiar with Amway products ]

      The Soundtrack Of Our Lives - Dow Jones Syndrome - Gimme Five! EP
      [ I wonder if those T.S.O.L. Orange County punkers ever get
      confused with this band ]

      Neko Case - Things That Scare Me - Black Listed
      [ I keep liking it so I keep playing it ]

      Noel Boggs & His Day Sleepers - Steelin' Home - Very Best of Noel
      Boggs
      [ Instrumental played in the background while Steve and I
      attempted to work our Pledge Drive magic. Word comes into the studio
      that Bob Reuter has joined a cult that considers Floyd The Barber,
      Rocky The Flying Squirrel, and the Lucky Charms leprechaun to be the
      Holy Trinity. Steve looks visibly shaken. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Bobbie Gentry - Fancy - An American Quilt 1967-74
      [ The Australian label, Raven, puts out another excellent
      compilation of this often overlooked artist ]

      Chuck Prophet - I Bow Down & Pray To Every Woman I See - No Other
      Love
      [ I don't make this stuff up - during this song, three women
      listeners pledged to KDHX - coincidence? ]

      Jerry Reed - The Claw - RCA Country Legends
      [ Instrumental played in the background while Steve and I
      attempted to work our Pledge Drive magic. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Thrills - Say It Ain't So - So Much For The City*
      [ A band from Dublin who sounds like they are from Southern
      California until they sing words like "dance." This song features the
      pedal steel of Jay Dee Maness who also played steel guitar on the
      Byrd's "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" release ]

      Allison Moorer - Don't Cry No Tears - Show*
      [ Appearing at the Blueberry Hill Duck Room on Wed (10/8) ]

      Santo and Johnny - Sleepwalk - Best of Santo & Johnny

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Jerry Lee Lewis - Your Cheatin' Heart - Live At The Star-Club
      Hamburg
      [ One of the greatest live rock n' roll albums ever - recorded
      at the Star-Club in Hamburg, West Germany in 1964 ]

      Eddie Bo - Check Your Bucket - New Orleans Funk - The Original
      Sound Of Funk 1960-75

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset - Kink Kronikles
      [ Thought the Pledge Drive needed to end with two perfectly
      written songs ]

      The Beatles - And Your Bird Can Sing - Revolver
      [ Two minutes of greatness ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      For anybody saying "damn the luck, I wanted to pledge to the Morning
      Show Thursday show but forgot", don't despair because you have a
      second chance to pledge next Thursday (10/9) from 7:00-9:00 AM. How
      often have you wondered "if I only had a second chance?" Well, here
      you go. Steve Pick will be back by popular demand and joining me next
      week (10/9). And, once again, thanks to everybody who pledged this
      week and for the phone volunteers.
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2003
        --On Friday, October 3, 2003 1:29 AM +0000 the Donovan McNabb of KDHX wrote:

        > Booker T. & The MGs - I Want You (She's So Heavy) - McLemore
        > Avenue
        > [ Instrumental played in the background while Steve and I
        > attempted to work our Pledge Drive magic. Meanwhile, Rush Limbaugh
        > accuses the media of building up my DJ skills when actually it's the
        > production people making the show a success after mistaking me to be
        > African American ]

        It wasn't the Booker T., it was the oxycotin talking.

        Carl Z.
        NPIMH: Robyn Hitchcock, "Tell Me About Your Drugs"
        NPOMTV: Twins 1, Yankees 1