RE: Downpilot (Re: [fearnwhiskey] AMC back catalog)

  • Wilson, Carl
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
      Mark wrote:
      >I assume you're talking about my homies Two Cow Garage (admittedly a
      >dumber name than the one you gave), Dr. Z. Those of you who are so-so
      >on their CD might be interested to know that a year's worth of touring
      >has made them a live fireball of a band.

      The CD Now site has a nice writeup, especially about their live show. (Brian
      Henneman reportedly said at a gig where they were opening for the Bottle
      Rockets that he felt like he "should be tuning some guitars or something" --
      a ref. to his days as guitar tech for Uncle Tupelo.) The sound samples there
      were so-so -- nice feel, but the lead singer's voice sounds kinda mannered
      and too thin to carry off the Farrar/Tweedy/Steve Earle impression he's
      trying to make. But then so did Tweedy's voice on those early UT albums. So
      I would keep an eye/ear peeled for them to grow, if they keep it together
      long enough, into something stronger.

      carl w.
    • Dave Purcell
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
        Mark wrote:

        <<I assume you're talking about my homies Two Cow Garage (admittedly a
        dumber name than the one you gave), Dr. Z. Those of you who are so-so on
        their CD might be interested to know that a year's worth of touring has
        made them a live fireball of a band. So catch 'em live if you can, and I
        bet their next CD will be a real corker.>>

        What he said. We played a show with them a couple months back. They're
        amazingly tight and energetic live and they have the early Tupelo thing
        down cold. I suspect they'll learn to grow beyond that and Micah has a
        voice that's perfectly worn and gravelly beyond his years. I hope they
        don't burn out on the road, they have promise.

        dp